• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advent casset recorder

24HACKER

Super Member
Does anyone have one of these? Back in the day, I had an Advent Cassette recorder that I could record LP's on. I have not seen one in many years. Does anyone have any experience with this unit?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Sure, I helped a friend buy one when we were in college. It is more different than most other cassette machines in layout and operation. But it made great tapes. Any Advent you get will be very old, may have to replace belts and whatnot, I have no idea what is inside, but whatever it is, weighs a lot.
 
A very unique design and all the controls felt quite substantial. I think I remember when the play button popped up at the end of the tape the stop button went down. How neat is that? I only thing I did not quite buy is that one VU meter was better than two. This definitely does not have anything in common with your standard Philips type transport.
 
Yup- these are Wollensak transports. I still have new heads and a few other parts for them, including the play button (which breaks, if memory serves) lying around. Very cool machines.
 
New post on an old thread...

I have one of the later 1976 model 201A, I use it everyday.
Fantastic sound, built in USA like a pickup truck, but will play C-120's
all day long with no problems. Once you own one, you'll be putting
your import stuff on eBay!!
 
+1 on the 201A, a permanent member of my collection. However, I think I'll hang onto the CR-7A and 3014A rather than dump them on eBay :D

John
 
My first cassette deck was an Advent 201 I bought as a trade in in 1973 when I built my first system at 9 years old. I paid $160 for it. The dealer I bought it from threw in a box of Sony LN C-60 tapes and 4 Sony CRO2 tapes in C-90. I have owned 15 decks since and the Advent still runs like new. The Wollensak transport was the finest of the early cassette machines. Advent's only real rival then in cassettes was Tandberg in Norway. I put lots of miles on that Advent and replaced the rubber parts and heads in 1977. The Advent 201 was introduced in 1971 and was the first cassette deck accepted as high fidelity.
 
Last edited:
The Advent 201 was the deck that really established the cassette as a viable medium for High Fidelity.

It was a joint venture, as mentioned earlier. Advent developed the electronics and Wollensak developed the transport. Wollensak sold a deck that was simular to the 201, the 4765. One of the differences was that the 4765 had the traditional 2-meter design, whereas the Advent had but a single meter.

For those not familiar with the single-meter design, it had a switch that allowed for you to switch the meter for Left channel, Right Channel or the highest of the two.
 

Attachments

  • Advent 201.jpg
    Advent 201.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Wollensak 4765.jpg
    Wollensak 4765.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom