• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advent Loudspeaker based stereo system

View attachment 1958420 I just offered $325 on this. It's a very good looking machine and 90 watts per channel. I don't know if it's too much money but I'd like to own it.
Rtally! The speakers I just inherited have that exact issue. It sounds like they really want to open up but are just muted. But They are Allegro 2000's in rough shape, that my Grandpa bought new.

If the Lafayette is plug and play it will provide more than $350 worth of service.
The Allegro 2000 is not a poor speaker. It has a decent woofer, and a good tweeter setup. Somethings wrong inside.
 
Dayton Caps
putting it simplistically, the difference between 35watts and 60watts is less than 3db output. most listening will be done at less than 1watt, and why it's often said the first watt is the most important.
When Henry Kloss s
What state do you live in?
There's a nice looking Marantz 2270 for sale in Maine for $250.00, he's willing to ground ship at 30+ pounds.

View attachment 1958425
I'm in Michigan, it can't be that much to ship it. Would that be better than the Lafayette?
 
If the Lafayette is plug and play it will provide more than $350 worth of service.
The Allegro 2000 is not a poor speaker. It has a decent woofer, and a good tweeter setup. Somethings wrong inside.
I'm thinking replace the caps in both, and maybe reverse engineer the cabinets in the Allegro's. They are coming apart from what looks like water damage to the OSB. They were my Grandpa's so they do carry a sentimental value.
 
Dayton Caps

When Henry Kloss s

I'm in Michigan, it can't be that much to ship it. Would that be better than the Lafayette?
I'm not really familiar with that Lafayette receiver. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the two, and what's a better deal.
 
@Jason Grace
I aquired a pair of Smaller Advents, from the original owner, that also needed a refoam. After new foams were installed I replace the caps with Solens and replaced the 3.7mH inductors with heavier units. I also removed and replace the tinsel leads with heavier ones from Midwest speaker (no affil.). Currently they are connected to a Carver m1.0t which easily pushes 200wrms per channel, just for headroom. :rolleyes:

I did a fav for a co-worker when his marantz 2270 receiver had scratchy pots. After the clean up I hooked it up to the Advents to check my work and was most pleased with the sound quality of the receiver and the Advents. So, I agree with @Te-Te, that marantz receiver would be a winner with the Advents IMHO.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.
 
I think that LR-9090 was made by Planet Research. About $550. Stereo Review came to the conclusion it was a 108 watt @ 8 ohm receiver when they tested it. They liked it.
 
View attachment 1958420 I just offered $325 on this. It's a very good looking machine and 90 watts per channel. I don't know if it's too much money but I'd like to own it.
my very first stereo was a schveet little Lafayette amp and tuner, purchased in 1976 and my son is still using it more than 4 decades later lol.

pictured here with some Canton Plus S and the matching Plus C passive sub waiting for my son to pick up.
15152992210561238678307.jpg
 
putting it simplistically, the difference between 35watts and 60watts is less than 3db output. most listening will be done at less than 1watt, and why it's often said the first watt is the most important.


I remember years ago, a Zenith console built in receiver parents owned. (no idea of model or name)

But the owners book gave several specs (not super in depth), but even as a young teen I remember it was rated at like 3.5 watts per channel and thinking, wow, that is not much....but, it played fairly loud for sure and never sounded distorted or weak....
 
I just plugged them into my Kenwood receiver @ 120 wpc and they did sound nice, a bit muted but I have an old bose acoustimass 7 that is extremely bright so the Allegro's fill the midrange nicely. I hope the bass on the Advents are more pronounced and fill the lower registers.
 
View attachment 1958420 I just offered $325 on this. It's a very good looking machine and 90 watts per channel. I don't know if it's too much money but I'd like to own it.
From the looks of it, the versatility offered in a busy market, I'd bet on it being good... a sleeper in terms of its sound and build quality. I have no experience with it, a couple of things though... it has the power switch on the speaker selector, would prefer it separate... the built in Dolby, no idea how that circuitry might (or not) be integrated into the overall design, Dolby boards can be problematic. On the other hand Lafayette made, or had made for them, so quality components. You also mentioned a 949, assuming a Pioneer QRX 949 four channel... they had a few issues over time, bad differential pair on the driver boards, but properly serviced are reliable and they can be operated in a two channel mode at twice the power per channel of the four channel mode.. 90 watts per I think. I could live with a 949, they were the top of the four channel Pioneer line. The Advents would like the 949 as well as the Marantz 2270 mentioned in another post... many Advents were sold with either of those two units.
 
I just plugged them into my Kenwood receiver @ 120 wpc and they did sound nice, a bit muted but I have an old bose acoustimass 7 that is extremely bright so the Allegro's fill the midrange nicely. I hope the bass on the Advents are more pronounced and fill the lower registers.
What model Kenwood receiver do you have?
 
I'm torn because my garage system will be played at higher levels than on my desk but if I can't find a good deal on a nice period receiver than that is where they are going.
 
FWIW, I've got a Kenwood KA-5500 powering my stacked Advents right now and I really enjoy the sound. With just a single pair of Advents, I've used my Fisher X-100-2 little integrated tube amp which is about 20 wpc and it sounds fantastic in my living room (19x14x8). The former is my summer setup and the latter used in the cooler months.
 
My mistake it's 100wpc the KR V8060
An AVR, not familiar with it at all or the later generations of Kenwood in general.... just the older stuff. On reading the 120 watt figure was hoping it would be a KR 9400 from 'back then', I used to own one... had three pairs of Advents hooked up to it in parallel... sounded good, ran hot but I ran it at high volume and it never quit... back then I didn't really care if it smoked, just take it to work and repair, different thinking now.
 
There's a Marantz 2216 not too far from me, but man I don't know that 16 watts per channel would get the job done. I am pretty happy with the sound I'm getting right now in my garage with the 90's Kenwood setup. I would like a cool setup in my house but I'm not going to rush it, I'll just keep my eye's open for a high-quality piece.
 
Back
Top Bottom