• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

advice and opinions, por favor

Good choice for $100


  • Total voters
    15
  • Poll closed .

one19

New Member
Hello, I'm a newbie here. Forgive me if this isn't the correct place to start this thread, but it said, "anything audio goes."

I've been wanting to build a small, decent (not high-end) audio set-up for use in my home office. I'd like to land a receiver, a turntable, and probably later, a CD player. I'd also like to try the vintage/used route instead of buying new for two reasons; 1.) budget, and 2.) I just like the look and feel of the stuff from the 70's. However, I'm not an expert and I'm not interested in learning a bunch of hard lessons -- if you get my drift.

I have a chance to buy a Yamaha CR-220 receiver from 1979 and the owner says its immaculate, scratch-free, flawless, and functions perfectly. I'm going to take a look at it tonight and put it through the paces. I know it's an entry-level Yamaha but I understand this series was respected and lauded. I've attached a couple of photos if it helps.

IMG_20170201_171232822.jpg IMG_20170201_171217250.jpg

What do you guys (and girls) think? Can I do better for $100? I've read a LOT of contradictory opinions on various websites, from users and reviewers, about the merits and perils of used gear. Anyone know if this is a receiver I should stay away from? Do you have a brand or model preference?

Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
That is a tad high, but easily within the 'completed auctions' on the bay. I have noticed a number of vintage yamaha receivers at Goodwill's on line auction site. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
 
Thanks Boonaroo and Jeffery! Of course, I'll try to talk the seller down when/if it comes to deal time...
 
Hello, I'm a newbie here. Forgive me if this isn't the correct place to start this thread, but it said, "anything audio goes."

I've been wanting to build a small, decent (not high-end) audio set-up for use in my home office. I'd like to land a receiver, a turntable, and probably later, a CD player. I'd also like to try the vintage/used route instead of buying new for two reasons; 1.) budget, and 2.) I just like the look and feel of the stuff from the 70's. However, I'm not an expert and I'm not interested in learning a bunch of hard lessons -- if you get my drift.

I have a chance to buy a Yamaha CR-220 receiver from 1979 and the owner says its immaculate, scratch-free, flawless, and functions perfectly. I'm going to take a look at it tonight and put it through the paces. I know it's an entry-level Yamaha but I understand this series was respected and lauded. I've attached a couple of photos if it helps.

View attachment 861803 View attachment 861804

What do you guys (and girls) think? Can I do better for $100? I've read a LOT of contradictory opinions on various websites, from users and reviewers, about the merits and perils of used gear. Anyone know if this is a receiver I should stay away from? Do you have a brand or model preference?

Thanks in advance!
I think it's a nice receiver in beautiful condition and best of all...it works! There's something to be valued in being able to see,touch and most importantly HEAR the item you're interested in. Sure maybe you could get something off the internet a little cheaper but then add in the shipping costs and the risk of disappointment when it's not all that it was touted to be. Goodwill and the like is a crapshoot at best and the odds are getting worse all the time. Around here you have two weeks to return an item that doesn't work out and that's only for store credit. Not only that but you get to meet a real live person (not always a negative) that just may have some speakers or a CD player that they weren't planning to let go but then decide on the spot to add them to the deal. Never hurts to inquire.:dunno: One important thing to keep in mind with this Yamaha receiver is that it's a low power model so matching it up with some higher efficiency speakers is pretty much a must.
 
I think you can do better with $100. Those yamaha's were nice, I had a few, though I think you know this is one of the low powered receivers. I would look into some modern T-amps, you could get something decent for that amount. I think the yamaha is a decent deal though
 
Hello, I'm a newbie here. Forgive me if this isn't the correct place to start this thread, but it said, "anything audio goes."

I've been wanting to build a small, decent (not high-end) audio set-up for use in my home office. I'd like to land a receiver, a turntable, and probably later, a CD player. I'd also like to try the vintage/used route instead of buying new for two reasons; 1.) budget, and 2.) I just like the look and feel of the stuff from the 70's. However, I'm not an expert and I'm not interested in learning a bunch of hard lessons -- if you get my drift.

I have a chance to buy a Yamaha CR-220 receiver from 1979 and the owner says its immaculate, scratch-free, flawless, and functions perfectly. I'm going to take a look at it tonight and put it through the paces. I know it's an entry-level Yamaha but I understand this series was respected and lauded. I've attached a couple of photos if it helps.

View attachment 861803 View attachment 861804

What do you guys (and girls) think? Can I do better for $100? I've read a LOT of contradictory opinions on various websites, from users and reviewers, about the merits and perils of used gear. Anyone know if this is a receiver I should stay away from? Do you have a brand or model preference?

Thanks in advance!


Hello, welcome to AK.

Just so you know, questions about value belong in the Dollars and Sense area.
 
I picked up a Sansui Stereo 8 in perfect working condition for under $100 at a used stereo equipment store of all places, so I second the motion that you can probably do better. If you listen to that Yammy and like it I'd see if the seller is willing to negotiate on the price, and be willing to walk if not, since there are better receivers out there for less if you're willing to take the time to look. Good luck with the search!
 
I just like the look and feel of the stuff from the 70's. However, I'm not an expert and I'm not interested in learning a bunch of hard lessons -- if you get my drift.
Sure you may be able to find something "better" but you'll probably have to invest a lot of your time and gas money scurrying around town dealing with a bunch of lowlife's. This receiver is 37+ years old and in beautiful shape cosmetically and is fully functional. It has the "look and feel" you're after in spades, a fine phono section and a good tuner. It is as perfect as any other for your office system and more importantly it is available right now. Go look and listen to it, then make your own judgement. Offer the guy $70 or $80 if you want but don't be surprised if he says "No."
 
It looks great but it's pretty small in the watts per channel department for vintage solid state receivers. 15 wpc. I bought a little Sony 6045 receiver 18 wpc for $20 from a perfet stranger on Kijiji last summer. A Sony STR-V1 at 15 wpc for $50. A Marantz 2220B at 20 wpc for $65. I think that for $100 you can get something better. For say $120 - $150 you could get a Yamaha CR-640 @ 40 wpc in excellent shape. Just my 2¢.
 
Thanks, Dave. I'm thinking it over and looking online again tonight. I appreciate your thoughts, people.
 
@one19 How big is your office and how loud do you play your music?

15 Watts may be more than adequate for your needs. Think about this - every 3 dB of volume required double the power, and 3 dB translates into a just noticeable increase in volume. At 15 Watts you are only 6 dB down from 60 Watts and 9 dB down from 120 Watts. Most music happens in the first few Watts.
 
Last edited:
I wonder how all those folks that bought these low wattage receivers new managed to survive with them back then? :idea:

Pre Watt Wars I don't think most people cared what the number was, just the cost and sound. Also, this was pre McMansion and homes were much smaller than today.
 
Thanks again for the good commentary. It sounds like most agree that the Yamaha is a decent unit, but the asking price is out of line. I'm going to keep searching but I think I'll go ahead and give this Yamaha a good looking over and listening to... the weather is bad here so I'm stuck inside for a day or two.
 
Back
Top Bottom