• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

advice and opinions, por favor

Good choice for $100


  • Total voters
    15
  • Poll closed .
Pre Watt Wars I don't think most people cared what the number was, just the cost and sound. Also, this was pre McMansion and homes were much smaller than today.
I live in PDX too, from what I see when I drive around, an awful lot of those small houses still have people living in them. BTW 1979 was not pre-watt wars.
Over the years the average speaker has gotten smaller, less efficient and the watts needed to get any significant volume out of them have gotten cheaper.
 
Last edited:
100 is probably just a bit high unless it really is in excellent shape cosmetically and functionally. Although at almost 40 years old, if it's not all scratched up from age and abuse, that's a good sign and should help justify its price.

But... IMHO, I'm still going to side with check it out and maybe go for it. I like Yamaha a lot. I have a CR-1020, which is just a larger version from the same model lineup. They're very well made, and sound really nice - 'Natural Sound'.

Here's a nice review I just found in a google search:

http://www.vintage-speaker-review.com/2014/02/yamaha-cr-220-receiver-specs-review-and.html

15 watts per channel may come across as somewhat low, but I'd bet, like suggested earlier in your thread, paired with the right speakers, would be plenty to enjoy.

Sign up for free at this link below, and you can download the manual to get more acquainted with it.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/cr-220.shtml

Welcome to the forum, btw! Good luck with your purchase.
 
Go for it. Enjoy it a week or two, and paying $20 more than you might have on a luckier day will be long forgotten. If this is for your desk at work you'll certainly get your money's worth. My office is about the same size and 15WPC is plenty of power for such a small space.

Find a pair of NHT Super Zeros to go with it. Perfect size for the desk, and also $100/pair, often less.
 
OK, I'm now looking for high efficiency speakers in my budget, but here's another receiver I came across in my area for $60. an Onkyo TX-1500 MKII. Seller says it's in excellent condition and he just had it professionally cleaned/serviced... I like what it looks like, but not sure about 1970's Onkyo sound. What say you?

00i0i_gW3Zymjf8tl_600x450.jpg
 
OK, I'm now looking for high efficiency speakers in my budget, but here's another receiver I came across in my area for $60. an Onkyo TX-1500 MKII. Seller says it's in excellent condition and he just had it professionally cleaned/serviced... I like what it looks like, but not sure about 1970's Onkyo sound. What say you?

View attachment 862217
Go check it out, it's a nice little vintage unit. Same low power range as the Yamaha. I'm partial to Yamaha myself having owned many pieces over the years and still own a few now. I like the looks of the Yamaha better myself. Pick the one you like better.
 
It's a decent unit but it also is forty years old so it's hard to know how long it will lasts. So besides opening it up and cleaning it, the unit should be tested to see if there are potential problems that may cause serious problems...snap, crackle and pop and I'm not talking about Rice Krispies. There maybe an AK member within driving distance that is proficient enough to test your unit for a fee. Or you can pay a tech to do it for allot more, but that all depends on how long you would like to keep the unit.
 
Might have to start with used or cheaper speakers, then replace down the road. Some of the prices I'm seeing are out of my budget. I did run across some Onkyo D-062AX Bookshelf Speakers from 1997 which are supposed to be a real treat, at least according to one site I checked. Seller is asking $60.
 
I'm a Yamaha guy but those Onkyo TX-x500 models are really, really nice too.

I'd get whichever you liked the looks/sound of better.
 
I picked up a Yamaha MCR-E250 with matching tape deck (CD changer was broken) for $60 off Craig's and a 20 ft pair of Monster speaker wires. That's 50 watts each side. No phono side built-in, though.

Then I bought a cosmetically suspect Aiwa mini integrated amp for my kid @$40. 15 watts/side with a phono amp. It sounded great with cheapie speakers w/ribbon tweeters, plenty of power.

There's lots out there if you're willing to go back to 80's and pre-80's units, but in person is definitely the way to go. But I would concur to find the speakers first.
 
Found two sets of speakers, but I need some advice...
  • KLH B-Pro6, Very good condition; I might be able to get them for $25.
  • Premier Acoustic PA-4.0, excellent condition, $35.
I can't find much info about either online.

Thoughts?
 
Found two sets of speakers, but I need some advice...
  • KLH B-Pro6, Very good condition; I might be able to get them for $25.
  • Premier Acoustic PA-4.0, excellent condition, $35.
I can't find much info about either online.

Thoughts?
Are you located in the Reading, PA area?
The most important consideration should be how they sound, only way to know for sure is to hear them.
 
Thanks, dark blue. I'm not sure if I can make that happen with either of these. Guess I'll heed ggregg's advice.
 
Back
Top Bottom