• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

After pressing "start" needle moves AWAY from turntable instead of toward the record!

Your not on your own,tried that and avoid doing it to a Def Leppard record.Theres no excuse for bad taste in music and that record left a bad impression on the palate.

I honestly don't know what Def Leopard sounds like but I imagine it doesn't taste great.

Just looked at some of their album covers... Terrifying!
 
Dude! I've been reading about Loja and I would love to come visit! :)

I don't know about carrying a turntable in my luggage but you never know...
 
Dude! I've been reading about Loja and I would love to come visit! :)

I don't know about carrying a turntable in my luggage but you never know...

I'm here because life moves slower and it's very safe... the downside is that the mailing system is trash and electronics are usually quadruple the price. That's the compromise.
 
Hand delivery from an AKer would be pretty cool, if it could be done! :thumbsup:

Until then, an AT120USB would be a great option. Much better than what you have, that other Fisher, or any BSR for that matter.

Those AT's are a pretty solid TT, and can be made to perform quite nicely with cartridge/stylus upgrades down the road. Direct drive is good, because you wont have to chase down a replacement belt in the future. You'll have a built-in preamp to boot! This is good, because it may or may not be easy to find a good receiver with a phono input right away in your area. This is a requirement for a magnetic cartridge. With it's preamp, the AT120USB will work with any line level or aux input, eliminating this need.

In a perfect world it'd be great to find something along the lines of that Fisher 500c receiver in perfect working order, like monkboughtlunch was mentioning. It could happen, but it's looking pretty unlikely in your area. If you did find one, it would probably need work... parts, tubes, and so on. Hard stuff to source. Of course, a top-of-the-line Technics, or Empire 598 turntable would be great too. But, it's not looking likely, either. (For either of us, really.) That's perfectly fine though. You don't need the finest gear to enjoy the medium, or especially, to enjoy the music.

To get started, just find stuff that will get you by. That AT turntable will be more than adequate. If you could find some other inexpensive components to support it, like say, a Fisher Studio Standard receiver or separate components of the late 70's/early 80's, you'll still be worlds ahead of a cheap all-in-one. Some of that entry-level mid-fi stuff from the day actually wasn't all that bad. A lot of it has that vintage silver face aesthetic you like, some even having analog meters and the whole bit. It would be a fine compliment to something like that AT120USB 'table.

Hope you can make it happen! Until then, happy record licking!
 
Hand delivery from an AKer would be pretty cool, if it could be done! :thumbsup:

Until then, an AT120USB would be a great option. Much better than what you have, that other Fisher, or any BSR for that matter.

Those AT's are a pretty solid TT, and can be made to perform quite nicely with cartridge/stylus upgrades down the road. Direct drive is good, because you wont have to chase down a replacement belt in the future. You'll have a built-in preamp to boot! This is good, because it may or may not be easy to find a good receiver with a phono input right away in your area. This is a requirement for a magnetic cartridge. With it's preamp, the AT120USB will work with any line level or aux input, eliminating this need.

In a perfect world it'd be great to find something along the lines of that Fisher 500c receiver in perfect working order, like monkboughtlunch was mentioning. It could happen, but it's looking pretty unlikely in your area. If you did find one, it would probably need work... parts, tubes, and so on. Hard stuff to source. Of course, a top-of-the-line Technics, or Empire 598 turntable would be great too. But, it's not looking likely, either. (For either of us, really.) That's perfectly fine though. You don't need the finest gear to enjoy the medium, or especially, to enjoy the music.

To get started, just find stuff that will get you by. That AT turntable will be more than adequate. If you could find some other inexpensive components to support it, like say, a Fisher Studio Standard receiver or separate components of the late 70's/early 80's, you'll still be worlds ahead of a cheap all-in-one. Some of that entry-level mid-fi stuff from the day actually wasn't all that bad. A lot of it has that vintage silver face aesthetic you like, some even having analog meters and the whole bit. It would be a fine compliment to something like that AT120USB 'table.

Hope you can make it happen! Until then, happy record licking!

Jaja!
 
And If I were to travel with a turntable in my luggage, I'd try to make it something like one of these. https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-5.shtml,

Coincidentally I was thinking a compact linear tracker would travel well and I was just answering a question about one in another thread. Seriously, they are a decent choice and very easy to use.


I found another guy locally who says he has turntables and since he's a heavy metal enthusiast, I'm assuming he will be more knowledgeable about durability and clarity, unlike the antique seller I got my unit from.
This guy says he recently sent all his records to the store that is 8 hours away because nobody buys them here but he hasn't shipped his machines out yet so, I'm going to check it out maybe tomorrow or Tuesday and possibly take some pictures to post here, if they look decent.
 
That sounds like a great plan. I don't know about heavy metal enthusiasts and their knowledge of clarity ( ;) ) but at least he sounds like he could be a good guy to get to know!
 
That sounds like a great plan. I don't know about heavy metal enthusiasts and their knowledge of clarity ( ;) ) but at least he sounds like he could be a good guy to get to know!

The rock music I can tolerate is Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Dick Dale and a few psychedelic cumbia bands, everything else is beyond my comfort zone but I have known a lot of metal and hardcore fans in the past who would have actual arguments about clarity and mastering so, from my experience, there tend to be a lot of audiophiles in that scene. I'm thinking this guy at least has turntables in stock because they play music, not just solely because they look nice on a shelf.

We'll seeeeeee.......
 
The replacement turntable your dealer installed has a ceramic cartridge and will never work with the electronics that were designed for the magnetic cartridge in the original turntable, that is why it sounds so bad. There were
different levels of BSR's and your original turntable was a high level model with four pole motor and magnetic cartridge, those had fairly accurate speed, the low line models like your replacement
run quite fast, that is what you are hearing.
I would demand your dealer install the original. The part that was broken was the cuing mechanism and it could easily be removed and the turntable will function normally without it. You like
using the automatic mode so the cuing is not necessary in your case ( and they were rather poor on BSR's anyway, not damped, so almost the same as handling the arm by hand.

I know everyone is trying to get you to upgrade to much better equipment, but the all in one seems to be adequate for your purpose and you were pleased with it originally. Maybe at a later
time when you become more familiar with audio and record playing you could upgrade.
 
The replacement turntable your dealer installed has a ceramic cartridge and will never work with the electronics that were designed for the magnetic cartridge in the original turntable, that is why it sounds so bad. There were
different levels of BSR's and your original turntable was a high level model with four pole motor and magnetic cartridge, those had fairly accurate speed, the low line models like your replacement
run quite fast, that is what you are hearing.
I would demand your dealer install the original. The part that was broken was the cuing mechanism and it could easily be removed and the turntable will function normally without it. You like
using the automatic mode so the cuing is not necessary in your case ( and they were rather poor on BSR's anyway, not damped, so almost the same as handling the arm by hand.

I know everyone is trying to get you to upgrade to much better equipment, but the all in one seems to be adequate for your purpose and you were pleased with it originally. Maybe at a later
time when you become more familiar with audio and record playing you could upgrade.
Keep sayin' it... Although, if the OP is willing to return this machine to the pit from which it came, and take the leap to the AT LP120USB, no looking back on that one...
 
I learned my lesson and I realize the store owner just does not understand. He recently waved me off and said to just find an electrician.
I'm over it...

Saving up for something real. Chalk it up to the game.
 
Maybe you also might enjoy listening to Charlie Byrd and Gabor Szabo - I have a few records and CDs by Chet Atkins as well and always looking for more of their music. Check Youtube for samples if interested - should mention The Ventures. I have found a number of great '60's / '70's guitar LPs - James Last ( Guitar A Go Go ) and one issued by London Records ( Phase 4 - Guitars Unlimited ) for example. Recently came across a group called Los Machucambos - their first album with London Records was a very well recorded Phase 4 LP titled "Percussive Latin Trio" from the early '60's. Apparently they were extremly popular in the day - started in Paris, France.
 
Last edited:
Maybe you also might enjoy listening to Charlie Byrd and Gabor Szabo - I have a few records and CDs by Chet Atkins as well and always looking for more of their music. Check Youtube for samples if interested - should mention The Ventures. I have found a number of great '60's / '70's guitar LPs - James Last ( Guitar A Go Go ) and one issued by London Records ( Phase 4 - Guitars Unlimited ) for example. Recently came across a group called Los Machucambos - their first album with London Records was a very well recorded Phase 4 LP titled "Percussive Latin Trio" from the early '60's. Apparently they were extremly popular in the day - started in Paris, France.


I've listened to Charlie Byrd and I vaguely remember the sound of the Ventures but the rest I have not listened to. Will check them out.

When it comes to guitar, I'm more of a Los Mirlos, Chicha Libre, Dick Dale kind of listener... not into the show-offy stuff. Chet Atkins and Les Paul like to play around and they're pretty intense when they want to really impress a crowd but there is a lot of character to what they play and underneath the speed and improvisation, there's still a really chill and easy-to-follow theme that I can get behind. You know?

When I was young and angry, I did listen to some pretty aggressive stuff and I think I eventually overdid it and just got tired of it, stopped listening to music with guitars in it for years and now I can sort of acquire the taste again for guitar but very subtly and slowly am I reintroducing myself to the sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom