• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

You bailed on us! I didn't even know you were taking off early. Wish you'd said something so we could have hooked them up earlier. They got pretty good reviews when they got playtime.



Lucky? I don't know about that. Have you put a finish on them yet?

Oh I heard them, helped carry one in, much lighter than Big Bob! Yeah, I got an emergency call from the wife and had to beat it back to Gladstone....she owes me huge now!

Russellc
 
It was pretty amazing the bass coming out of that little speaker and for such a small woofer.

Ray, I forgot the name of your website. Could you PM me the address? I'd like to check it out even though you said it hasn't been updated in a while.

Denny
 
Oh I heard them, helped carry one in, much lighter than Big Bob! Yeah, I got an emergency call from the wife and had to beat it back to Gladstone....she owes me huge now!

Russellc

Glad to hear you got a listen. Collect your debt by bringing her next time. :)

More extension in 0.5 cuft, then?

Subjectively, and without an A/B comparison I'd say yes. They were rocking Jay's room pretty well.
 
Is another group buy coming? If so, shipping to north of the border any problem?

I'd build my own boxes - I have a stash of 1" MDF and a new dust collection system (read central vac in the shop).

Looking for nearfield speakers to work with a Macbook driving an old Marantz 1060 integrated (30WPC).
 
interalian, not aware of another group buy, and it may not happen again given PE is not an AK sponsor now. Nothing stands in the way of you ordering parts independently though.

BTW, I just heard a Mel Torme song on my local college jazz station (WDCB) via the Indignias and my old Sherwood S-7200 receiver in a nearfield configuration on my desk. Absolutely breathtaking and way involving sound.

You other Indignia owners know of what I speak.
 
interalian, not aware of another group buy, and it may not happen again given PE is not an AK sponsor now. Nothing stands in the way of you ordering parts independently though.

BTW, I just heard a Mel Torme song on my local college jazz station (WDCB) via the Indignias and my old Sherwood S-7200 receiver in a nearfield configuration on my desk. Absolutely breathtaking and way involving sound.

You other Indignia owners know of what I speak.

Naw, wouldn't know about that!!:banana::banana:
 
interalian, not aware of another group buy, and it may not happen again given PE is not an AK sponsor now. Nothing stands in the way of you ordering parts independently though.

BTW, I just heard a Mel Torme song on my local college jazz station (WDCB) via the Indignias and my old Sherwood S-7200 receiver in a nearfield configuration on my desk. Absolutely breathtaking and way involving sound.

You other Indignia owners know of what I speak.

I have a 'gently used' kit coming soon. Stay tuned for my garage-hack-cabinetmaker Indignias.
AD
 
Boy, this post is so large it is really intimidating, however it has really captured my interest in doing an econo wave project.

I've looked at all of the completed projects and have read through the links at the beginning of this thread.

For someone without a bit of speaker design know-how. What is the best way to get going on a project like this? Is there some other reading that would be helpful?

What I would like to do is use a pair of Boston A100 cabinets and woofers that I have. If it is simple as removing the existing tweeter and fitting the new compression drivers and crossovers, I'm happy with that. But, do I need to be concerned with the reduced volume in the cabinet due to the compression driver and horn? Are there other design factors (and I'm sure there are many) that I need to be aware of and concerned about.

The Boston has good bass and nice detail, but it not famous for having a lot of grunt. The project that looks like it comes the closest to what I have with the Bostons is the Large Advent project.

I need a gentle push in the right direction.

Thanks,
Bugs
 
Since completing the Indignias a few months ago, I have been using them in a nearfield set up attached to a T amp, small DAC and the pc. The cave has been restored and the mighty Indignias rest upon Sanus steel thrones with power supplied by Krell. These little speaks can take a lot of power and the Krell 200 watt amp is up to the task. Plenty of clean power makes them grow legs and sprint. I am impressed for a second time, with the switch from a T amp to a beast. Nice soundstage, clean bass and smooth high frequencies which are limited by the cheap Sony CD player.

As my cd player has died, I hooked up an old Sony DVD player to the system. This is not exactly the last word in resolution and has some grunge in the higher frequency, adding sibilance to vocal and crud to massed strings and horns. Things can only improve!

The Indignia posts did not support the MIT MH-75 cable terminals. In keeping with the best DIY ethic, I took a trip to Wallyworld and purchased an $8.00 Woods Patio Cord. I cut two ten foot lengths and tinned the twisted ends. Hey Hey, it works!

I will get back again when the CD player problem is resolved.

caveaudiostuffoct09003.jpg
 
Yeah, I think they sound a little thin with a T-Amp too. Much better with at least 25W/ch.
 
Yeah, I think they sound a little thin with a T-Amp too. Much better with at least 25W/ch.

I would suggest even more, unless used in a near field or "quiet background"
setup. These are the most power hungry speakers I own period. Easily putting the indicators past 150 watts ( however accurate that is) and not all that loud either.

russellc
 
Indignia's efficiency is ~85 dB/W/1M; that's how they make such nice bass in their small cabinet.

They are "personal" scale, and not intended to be "Rock the House" speaks. We don't know their predominant failure mode; I'd guess excursion or thermal limit of the woofers.

OTOH, if you blow them up, new drivers are available inexpensively.... :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom