• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AK Fest 2012 - Real World Audio

My one issue with this whole thing is that we're already viewed and pigeonholed as the cheapskate audio website, at least that is how it comes up in many conversations outside of this forum, in the audio community. That we're all concerned with nothing more than getting a score regardless of sound quality. I guess this version of a fest could counteract that perception by showing how much good stuff can be had for very little. Or it could reinforce the stereotype that these forums have attained.

Don't get me wrong- I think its a needed direction for the hobby- the cost of stuff at shows has gotten to be almost universally unattainable.

I agree with John on this, well stated.
Regards,
Jim
 
My one issue with this whole thing is that we're already viewed and pigeonholed as the cheapskate audio website, at least that is how it comes up in many conversations outside of this forum, in the audio community. That we're all concerned with nothing more than getting a score regardless of sound quality. I guess this version of a fest could counteract that perception by showing how much good stuff can be had for very little. Or it could reinforce the stereotype that these forums have attained.

Don't get me wrong- I think its a needed direction for the hobby- the cost of stuff at shows has gotten to be almost universally unattainable.
Who the hell cares how we are perceived? I don't.Let whoever think what they want this isn't a membership drive or lets sell some AK t-shirts.What, we've got to improve our image!?! All audiio,no attitude,isn't that (worrying about our image) a form of attitude? How about, "The dumpster divenest, Goodwill huntingest, thrift store stalkinest audio show and barbecue". If you don't go for that name then blue collar is fine with me.
 
Who the hell cares how we are perceived? I don't.Let whoever think what they want this isn't a membership drive or lets sell some AK t-shirts.What, we've got to improve our image!?! All audiio,no attitude,isn't that (worrying about our image) a form of attitude?

+1 :yes:
 
I think it's a mistake to disallow high end manufacturers. If they are willing to bring their wares, what's the problem with that? It allows exposure to products that may infact be out of reach for some, and it also allows a point of reference for anyone trying to build a system.

I think a better idea would be to use the theme as a challenge for all vendors. As an example, we could say the challenge is to put the best full system they can at a certain price point, say 1 or 2K. So a vendor can display what they wish and as part of their room, they can address the challenge. You give each vendor a sign to put over their "solution", with the theme title on it so everyone knows what they're looking at. If attendess wish to only browse room to room looking at the themed systems, they can.

Anyhow, something like that.

I also think it's a wonderful idea to invite guys like Pass Labs or Planet10 HiFi. Perhaps a portion of the rooms could be set aside for DIY and flat pack sellers like Madisound.

"Brother can you spare an amp" is a frickin great name...
 
I think it's a mistake to disallow high end manufacturers. If they are willing to bring their wares, what's the problem with that? It allows exposure to products that may infact be out of reach for some, and it also allows a point of reference for anyone trying to build a system.

I think a better idea would be to use the theme as a challenge for all vendors. As an example, we could say the challenge is to put the best full system they can at a certain price point, say 1 or 2K. So a vendor can display what they wish and as part of their room, they can address the challenge. You give each vendor a sign to put over their "solution", with the theme title on it so everyone knows what they're looking at. If attendess wish to only browse room to room looking at the themed systems, they can.

Anyhow, something like that.

I also think it's a wonderful idea to invite guys like Pass Labs or Planet10 HiFi. Perhaps a portion of the rooms could be set aside for DIY and flat pack sellers like Madisound.

"Brother can you spare an amp" is a frickin great name...

We have never disallowed any company to exhibit at the fest, and never will.

Right now this thread has jumped the gun as there is currently no Fest for next year. That's not to say we are not considering one. Thanks

Grumpy
 
We have never disallowed any company to exhibit at the fest, and never will.

Right now this thread has jumped the gun as there is currently have no fest for next year. Thats not to say we are not considering one. Thanks

Grumpy

This post? I thought I was going with the flow of the thread which began delving into high and low end during the first two pages. If anything has jumped the gun, it's the thread in it's entirety...

[Mod edit: You're correct, I didn't make clear enough that the decision isn't made yet. Part of the purpose of this thread is to gauge enthusiasm. I've edited the OP to fix that.]



We're looking for suggestions on all kinds of things:

- A catchy slogan - like Blue Collar Audio or Real World Audio?
- What manufacturers to invite?
- What vintage gear we should encourage people to bring?

So, this thread is a chance for everyone to talk about the 2012 Fest. Post your ideas, hopes, wishes and start planning for the weekend of April 28-29, 2012.

Anyhow, I do not want to be banned.
 
This post? I thought I was going with the flow of the thread which began delving into high and low end during the first two pages. If anything has jumped the gun, it's the thread in it's entirety...





Anyhow, I do not want to be banned.


And you were going with the theme of this post. It was Negotiable who made it sound like there is positively a fest next year, and prematurely jumped the gun.

No worries as your not gonna be banned.

Grumpy
 
All Audio. No Attitude. Way Affordable.

+1 on this one, if there is to be a Fest. It is classic AK.

I also like the challenge idea for vendors to put together a price point system if they wish (some vendors would have to team up if they only offer one type of component), and then also to display as high or low as they feel like they want to go, after they have got your interest with the challenge system.
 
It's all "Tunes & Gear", man, just "Tunes & Gear", and beer. Yeah, beer. What were we talkin' about? :smoke:

Grumpy, you should rethink not banning Poppachubby, he's subversive ya know...:scratch2: :D

I'd like to hear some Bryston gear and Axiom speakers, and don't skimp on the tube kits....
 
how bout

" year of the every mans ear"

" white whales and blue collars"

" value strikes a golden note"

" Recession proof audio"

" Diving for pearls, and the need to listen."
 
I'd encourage 'Sansui China' to make 'exact reproductions' of the original Sansui Japan's 1970-1972 Acoustic Suspension AS-100 and AS-300 speakers. As a matter of fact, exceed specifications! (I know, alnico magnets, not availiable anymore...well, find a replacement.)

They sound wonderful, like magic, could be reproduced at a very resonable cost for the masses, as in 'all over the world', and I just can't figure out why they don't do it, or reproduce other original Sansui items. I don't know.

OK, they are bookshelf (box) speakers, not in fashion...so what. They sound simply outstanding and they could sell a ton of em at a reasonable cost to the public. Would they catch on?? You bet they would. A 'great big audiophile type big box speaker sound' at a resonable cost! What a concept.

And what's there to figure out??? NOTHING. They have been already designed, 40 years ago!! And they own all the design rights.

It's beyond me. They make plastic junk but they have the rights and blueprints for something really good and I know they haven't even thought about it.

If they made brand new, built to spec, AS-100s (2 spkrs per cab) and AS-300s 3 speakers per cab)...I'd buy em both in a heartbeat (2 different sounds - mostly because of the tweeter and also the woofer size (10 inch AS-100 / 12 inch AS-300).

They are like the old ARs or KLHs. Real Sound Quality for the masses. Huge Sales.

Who knows. :sigh:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom