• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AK gathering in Washington State!!!

retrokeeper

Well-Known Member
Banned
Just to let everyone in this neck of the woods know,I will host an AK member(and of course anyone else you wish to bring along interested in audio/video)event/gathering on May 13th,in Oak Harbor Washington,on Whidbey Island.Hours will be from 9am till probably 7pm,at a community clubhouse in my neighborhood.Bring some audio gear,lets chat,listen to some music,etc.etc.More details to follow.Please pm or email me for driving directions and other info.I would like to get a head count of who can make it,please let me know via response here on this forum or PM/email.Will be nice to see/meet all of you,hope you can make it!! :yes: :music: Rob emtpara@pugetsound.net
 
Register to hide this ad
Hey JP!!I had nothing in mind for it,I'll let you lead the way if you would like.By the way,here's the info on the meeting place.The interior dimensions measure 31'x32',roughly,there's a restroom,a small kitchen area with icebox/stove.There is a BBQ that we can use on the outside of the building.I plan to have burgers and hot dog for lunch for all the AK members that show up.There's tons of chairs and tables,should be lots of room for a group of 15-30 people,possibly more depending on how cozy we all want to get.Take a look at the photos below.I forgot to look at plug-in sites,will let you know,bring an extension cord with tapps if your going to set up some gear.Feel free to ask any other questions. :yes: Rob
 
Just what you guys needed, someone to take the bull by the horns! Good job retrokeeper! Just a suggestion, but I think that concrete floor is going to echo like crazy, you may want to bring some sort of dampening material to remove a good portion of the echo.


Retro
 
Looks like a cool setup. I might be able to make it. Busy schedule but will see as it gets a little closer. Be prepared for some "interesting" music from JP :>)
 
Well, if I can make it (Put me on the almost confirmed list) I'll bring up couple of old blankets to help tone down the floor.

I will most likely bring some gear Possibly including a pair of HPM-100's A Samsung DVD player so guys can hear how a new DVD player does with Audio. I have my Onkyo A-8067 Amp that can be set up as a work horse to try out variuos sources. I have a Box of Albums to trade and even some gear to sell or better yet swap. I also have 2 compact folding tables about 30" square that can be used for gear. If needed they are wood and quite sturdy.

retrokeeper

I'll ask just to make sure it is covered is Beer etc. allowed I ask this ahead of time so we don't run afoul of some unknown rules.

I'll also (as long as I can make it) be the designated Photographer if someone helps me with some note taking so we can provide our AK friends with a report on our goings on.

retrokeeper and I have taked on the phone and we thought this would be a good place to start planning of an annual or even Bi annual type event for the NW. with that in mind that if you have ideas for the next one please bring them and share. Locations, activities, etc. Anything that can be used to get something we can look forward to like the guys who can attend the AK fest do each year.

SO lets do this.

OK more later
 
Hey Mark!! I'll check on the beer thing,it will be a BYOB type of thing for those who want to bring it,I'm supplying burgers & hotdogs.Sorry about the concrete floor,a small obstacle to overcome,sounds like you may have it covered,no pun intended!!I'll be checking all the AK members who signed in on my "Rollcall for the Pacific Northwest"post some time back,see if I can get the word out that way.There were quite a few responses,I was suprised how many AKer's are in the area(tri-state and Canada),so I'll be happy to see some of you showing up,and we're going to have a blast,hope to see many new faces and some interesting audio gear!! :music: Rob
 
I have no idea what I'm going to bring yet. Perhaps I'll bring a few units that people on Ak have expressed interest in, like my Audio-Research modified Stereo 70, and one of my modified Sony SACD players. :scratch2: We'll see...

Regardless of what we bring in to listen to, I'm thinking that we may want to bring-in stuff to swap too. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've certainly got a few classic jewels in-the-rough collecting dust in my garrage... :yes:
 
Chances are only fair that I can attend. Either way, I will be happy to both advertise it in the May issue of Affordable$$Audio and write up a review article based on either my observations or those of attendees along with pics.
 
Hey MarkMarc!!Thanks for helping getting the word out,I didn't think there was enough time to get the word out to any publications,via print or over the net,but anything would help.I think someone stated that if they came they could take some photos,I plan to have the digital camera's batteries all charged up for lots of photo ops!!As for a report after the meet,I'm sure you can ask a few of those who attended what happened and how it went...including me of course. :yes: :music: Rob
 
Hey Goldear!!I wouldn't think this could be an AK gathering without a sales/trade table or two...or three....or more.Sure,if anyone wants to bring anything to drool over,gasp about,show off,or say "hey,where'd find this,I been lookin' all over the place for one of these"....so be it.There are plenty of tables to set-up for displays and sale items.Of course the main focus of this event is just to gather all AK members together in this area into one spot for a day,which I'm really looking forward to,and I hope we get a good response for the Pacific Northwest...I guess we'll see in about 2 weeks!! :yes: Rob
 
Now, if our fine webmaster of AK can write me up an article about last weekend's AK fest. I really want to promote all events of this type, it keeps our hobby fresh and alive.
 
Goldear I plan on bringing at least a couple of units for sale or trade and at least one box of albums to trade (or if need be sell dirt cheap)

The Question about Beer was only to clear up that question before hand. With close to 8 hours of driving during the day I doubt I will drink anything but Diet Coke!

I would like to revisit the idea that everyone that comes should bring an OLD blanket to help tone the room down. I find the wife says we have two I can get out of the house along with a LARGE canvas tarp that folded will do some good. Or maybe used as the first layer.

I will also bring my Cubic Quad indoor antenna so we have a quality antenna to use for the tuners. If I get a couple of guys who want to ride with me so I can afford to drive the pickup Like I said I can haul a ton of stuff. (it sure won't change the mileage LOL)

SO anyone wanting a ride from say Vancouver south LET ME KNOW.
 
I'll think about it. I don't know what it'll be like as an 18 year old hangin out with a bunch of middle age guys chatting about audio equipment thats twice my age in some cases.... sounds kinda awkward lol. Maybe my dad will want to come with me.
 
nesticle said:
I'll think about it. I don't know what it'll be like as an 18 year old hangin out with a bunch of middle age guys chatting about audio equipment thats twice my age in some cases.... sounds kinda awkward lol. Maybe my dad will want to come with me.
i wouldnt worry about, JP will most likely be there and he's got no trouble mixing with the older set. maybe its his enthusiasm and pursuit of great sounding gear, or maybe its just because he can fart with the best of us. bring your dad anyway, i'm sure he'll enjoy it.
 
I have it marked on the calendar and will bring a couple of receivers in case someone is interested in them. Maybe my famous Dynaco St 120 with the anti-blue flame mods :) Hopefully I'll be able to get off then. Farming makes future planning iffy at best. I could bring a couple of KLH 17's in case someone hasn't heard them.
 
kfa888 said:
Be prepared for some "interesting" music from JP :>)
I never get to play more than a track or two of my music at these meets, as soon as I try everyone gets the scolded dog look in their eyes and I'm compelled to pull my albums. If we ever have a meet with separate listening rooms, I'm going to play my own music, to heck with everyone else. I recognize that this runs in the face of accepted audio enthusiast music -- '60s, '70s rock or anything that sounds like it or audiophile approved jazz that is the only stuff I ever hear at these get-togethers -- but tough.

dingus said:
...maybe its just because he can fart with the best of us.
I need a few more years of practice, there's no way I can hold my own against you old farts. Just a mere fart in a hurricane, so to say.

Mike, how goes your plans on AK get-togethers? Have you decided not to hold your own since there seems to be a sudden plethora of May meets?

- JP
 
nesticle said:
I'll think about it. I don't know what it'll be like as an 18 year old hangin out with a bunch of middle age guys chatting about audio equipment thats twice my age in some cases.... sounds kinda awkward lol. Maybe my dad will want to come with me.
Yes, I hear that JPs a Young-un too, and is very likely to attend. :D

But if it makes you feel any better, I started attending the Pacific Northwest Audio Society when I was 18, and I was surprised at how well I actually got along with all of those "middle aged guys". :D The next youngest member at the time was probably 25, and it only went up from there.

But they were extremely welcoming, as I fully expect that we will be too. :thmbsp: Aside from a couple of us, most us us don't know each other other than through this forum, so you really are not going to be at a disadvantage here. And I have personally never met a single one of you (at least that I am aware of). As long as you care about audio, and music, then you should fit-in just fine. :yes:

I strongly encourage people to bring-in anything that you are proud-of and would like to show off. :yes: This sort of thing really helps to brake the ice, at any sort of club gathering. And it gives people specific stuff to talk about. And while I may be rather outspoken on this forum, I'm actually much more of an introvert in person.

And if any of you know some of our B.C. based bretherend, then please make sure that they get the word too!
 
Last edited:
Hey JP!! Don't come because you can't play your own stuff,come to socialize,meet other AKer's,have some free lunch,buy something,enjoy the scenic drive over and back,bathe in the ambiance of just being among other audiophiles!!I was was hoping we can come up with a fair and equal system for those who wish to play their fave music in a one room meeting place...any suggestions?How about...."ok,you play your thing for 30 minutes,then he can play for 30 min.,then him",and so on,giving everyone a chance to "sound off" or on,however you want to say it.
By the way,I personally messaged everyone in the area to check out the announcement made in the "events & happening" forum,who signed in on my "Pacific Northwest Rollcall" thread a few months back,if your new or did not pipe in to that post,please let em know,you have an open invite to come and join us on May 13th. Rob :thmbsp:
 
Rob, you don't know the kind of music I like, a half hour of listening to it might cause a riot. At the Graham meet, I tried to play one of my "guilty pleasure" disks, Midnight in Moscow that can best be described as drunk Russian acapella. The guys there tried to be polite, but once one of the guys started singing soprano it was obviously difficult for most to keep a straight face. So, I'll probably stick to more conventional music for the 13th. This Saturday, however, I might go ahead and play what I like. So, you've been warned.


More related to the 13th meet, any requests for what I should bring speaker-wise? Tannoys? Infinities? Bozaks? Magnepans? Dynacos? EPIs?

- JP
 
Back
Top Bottom