• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Aligning the AR XA arm

How is it attached to the headshell? Usually the mounting screws pass through slots (rather than circular holes) that allow for positioning.
 
ok. so the whole arm tube slides back and forth to get the correct overhang?

If you cant hit these numbers, the cartridge isn't compatible with this arm then.
(Well, technically you could remove the cart mounting screws and either use foam tape or glue to mount the cart further back in the headshell, or if the headshell is connected to the arm tube with a universal mount, get a different headshell with slots)

overhang1.jpg
 
Last edited:
There is a small screw under the arm wand where it enters the pivot block which can be loosened to adjust both overhang and azimuth. AR included a small screwdriver with an overhang gauge and other items for setup. There is no adjustment at the headshell.
 
ok. so the whole arm tube slides back and forth to get the correct overhang?

If you cant hit these numbers, the cartridge isn't compatible with this arm then.
(Well, technically you could remove the cart mounting screws and either use foam tape or glue to mount the cart further back in the headshell)

View attachment 2887141

Yeah, the whole tube slides back and forth. The lowest I can get between the spindle and tip is 18mm
 
There is a small screw under the arm wand where it enters the pivot block which can be loosened to adjust both overhang and azimuth. AR included a small screwdriver with an overhang gauge and other items for setup. There is no adjustment at the headshell.

Yeah, that's what I've been using the adjust everything
 
Yeah, the whole tube slides back and forth. The lowest I can get between the spindle and tip is 18mm
I believe Marc covered this somewhere in the official AR thread and I seem to recall the cartridge mounting hole to stylus distance changing over the last sixty years. Regardless, more adjustment is one of the benefits of changing the wand to accept slotted headshells.
 
I believe Marc covered this somewhere in the official AR thread and I seem to recall the cartridge mounting hole to stylus distance changing over the last sixty years. Regardless, more adjustment is one of the benefits of changing the wand to accept slotted headshells.

Maybe I'll change the wand at some point.
 
I had a busy day and see I missed a lot here. I’ll post this picture but I believe AR supplied two different overhang gauges over the years; 15mm and maybe 18mm. I have one but I don’t remember which one it is. Regardless, either clearly illustrates the concept of overhang. no affiliation with the source.
Edit: I can’t seem to post the pic and I hope the link is acceptable.
https://www.patsaudioparts.com/single-post/2017/12/10/ar-xa-turntable-and-setting-overhang
 
I had a busy day and see I missed a lot here. I’ll post this picture but I believe AR supplied two different overhang gauges over the years; 15mm and maybe 18mm. I have one but I don’t remember which one it is. Regardless, either clearly illustrates the concept of overhang. no affiliation with the source.
Edit: I can’t seem to post the pic and I hope the link is acceptable.
https://www.patsaudioparts.com/single-post/2017/12/10/ar-xa-turntable-and-setting-overhang

Thank you so much!
 
It seems weird that you can’t get under 230mm. Are you comfortable carefully pulling the arm assembly out of the arm well and see what is happening under the pivot assembly? Maybe there is something blocking the tube from moving back into the pivot block. You might also need to remove the pivot screws so you can remove spindle and pivot block to get a clearer view, but it seems to me that something is limiting the tube from moving back. I know you realize this, but you will need to be careful when doing this as the wires can easily be damaged.
 
I use a very simple jig to align and set the overhang of cartridges on my XB. I took a scrap piece of trim and carefully drew a grid and drilled a hole for the spindle. I suppose my jig could be thinner, the height of the spindle, but I don't have any complaints.

IMG_3465.JPG
 
use a very simple jig to align and set the overhang of cartridges on my XB. I took a scrap piece of trim and carefully drew a grid and drilled a hole for the spindle. I suppose my jig could be thinner, the height of the spindle, but I don't have any complaints.

And you align to 16.5?
 
You guys may know something that I don’t but I go by the data provided by Edgar Villchur, the Designer of the AR XA Turntable and Tonearm. In his two part article “A New Turntable-Arm Design” published in the September and October, 1962 issues of Audio Magazine, he states:

Pivot to Stylus. 9” (228.6 mm)

Overhang, 0.688’ (17.475 mm)

I checked 4 original overhang gauges and they agree with the overhang dimension shown above.

The arm was set at the factory for a cartridge with a mounting center to needle tip of 3/8” (0.375”, 9.525 mm).. I checked a few vintage Shure and Grado cartridges typical of what would have been mounted on an XA “back in the day” and they appeared to be very close to the 3/8” mounting center to needle tip dimension mentioned in the article. Here are links to the article:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/60s/Audio-1962-Sep.pdf

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/60s/Audio-1962-oct.pdf
 
And you align to 16.5?

Yes. I experimented with 17mm as it was closer to Lofgren B which has some advantages.

You guys may know something that I don’t but I go by the data provided by Edgar Villchur, the Designer of the AR XA Turntable and Tonearm. In his two part article “A New Turntable-Arm Design” published in the September and October, 1962 issues of Audio Magazine, he states:

Pivot to Stylus. 9” (228.6 mm)

Overhang, 0.688’ (17.475 mm)

I think it is because many of us have changed out the original J arm wand to a Technics S wand. Probably doesn't help the OP who uses the original arm tube.
 
Back
Top Bottom