• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

All Time Greatest Guitarist?

I'll keep my picks to Rock guitar, Sense it's "My Thing".

EVH--On all VH LP's, There is always something different going on. Tone, Solo's, are all special. Also Van Halen's acoustic work never gets much mention. Check out VH II's "Spanish Fly", Then check there Debut LP.

Glenn Tipton--Any Priest track is sonic overload. One of the smoothest guitarists ever. Have seen them live many times, And I swear his fingers never move. His name rarely comes up, But GT wrote the book on metal guitar. The solo for "You Got Another Thing Comin" from Screaming For Vengeance will convince you.

David Gilmore--Comfortably Numb--Just a great job on a difficult song. Also a great voice.

Jimmy Hendrix--All Along The Watchtower

Eric Clapton--Crossroads

Sorry, Thats 5.
 
Last edited:
Joe Satriani~Always with Me, Always with You
Steve Vai~For the Love of God
Gary Moore~Still in Love with You
Jimi Hendrix~Voodo Child
Robin Trower~Too Rollin Stoned
 
doug martsch (built to spill) - broken chairs
rick rizzo (eleventh dream day) - new rules
tom verlaine (television/solo) - the scientist writes a letter - debatable that richard lloyd is the better guitarist of the two
adam franklin (swervedriver/solo/magnetic morning) - morning rain
 
Jeff Beck: I'm Not Talking. IMO the most inventive electric rock guitarist ever.
Keith Richards: Jumpin' Jack Flash. A rhythm guitarist but the master of the riff. I can not imagine a world with out those riffs!
Robert Johnson: anything. His influence is immeasurable.
 
Andres Segovia, Carlos Montoya, Christopher Parkening or don't classical players count?

Of course they count. I am rather partial to Julian Bream myself:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Spain-B...d_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1238952180&sr=8-1

Or for just one disc:

http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Guita...r_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1238952363&sr=1-20

At that price, everyone should give him a listen. I guarantee that you will like it. Unless, of course, you have bad taste!

But for the rock fans, Jimi Hendrix without a doubt. He is the god of rock guitar. But that isn't the only kind of guitar playing.
 
Jeff Beck: I'm Not Talking. IMO the most inventive electric rock guitarist ever.
Keith Richards: Jumpin' Jack Flash. A rhythm guitarist but the master of the riff. I can not imagine a world with out those riffs!
Robert Johnson: anything. His influence is immeasurable.

Funny you didn't mention the guy in your avatar...
 
didn't we all figure this out in our dorm rooms in 1970 and decide it was either alvin lee, eric clapton, or jimi hendrix?

actually, i now think perhaps it might be the guy i saw playing with leonard cohen the other night--his name is Javier Mas, and he's a mind boggler....
 
Gilmour not Gilmore

Warren Haynes is somewhere on my list of favorites, just don't ask me to pick only three of them. :no:
 
Andres Segovia, Carlos Montoya, Christopher Parkening or don't classical players count?

Tops in their Genre for sure, but top overall? There are just too many to choose from thank goodness.

Regards,
Jim
 
I am going in slightly different direction. Guitarists I can take for long listening periods.
Mark Knopfler
Sanatana
Jeff Beck
Nils Lofgren
 
There is an ole boy named Les Paul that was a more than fair picker and he did a tune called High High the Moon amung others.
 
Back
Top Bottom