• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

All Time Greatest Guitarist?

Ahhh... but who did he steal them from?

Chuck Berry and a half dozen blues masters (including Mr. Johnson). He would be the first to admit it. Music isn't created in a vacuum, everybody has influences, everybody "steals".
 
Last edited:
Can't believe no one has mentioned the master of the telecaster

The one and only

Roy Buchanan

voted best guitarist many times by the readers of Guitar Player magazine.

his cross town rival Danny Gatton was a close second
 
Greatest Guitarist

Besides Hendrix,Clapton,and Page? How about Steve Miller,Gary Rossington,Jerry Garcia,Eddie Van Halen,B.B.King,and of course,
Dickey Betts. And let's not forget the ladies;I saw Joan Jett at the Boston Opera House around 1984 and she Rocked!
As for Bassist Paul McCartney,Paul Goddard,Leon Wilkeson,Tony Kanal,and the Incomparable Sid Vicious. :scratch2:??
 
A few that haven't been mentioned as of yet:

Leo Kottke
Allan Holdsworth
Bireli Lagrene
Wes Montgomery.
 
There are a lot of super talented guitar players out there, I've seen most of those mentioned.

Lots of guitarists can flat out play, but there seems to be a quality where the musician "becomes one" with his guitar, and I've rarely seen it.

In about 1983 I saw Roy Buchanan at a small club just north of the Twin Cities. I hadn't ever heard of him before but a friend of mine insisted that we go despite the crappy weather. The man was 90 minutes late (weather delay) but OMFG was he incredible. There was a blizzard raging outside and only about 50 of us in the bar. He came out and played the blues like I've never since seen.

It took several years to see another guitarist that had that quality, and PM mentioned Ry Cooder - and it was that song "The Very Thing" that did it to me.

Richard Thompson is probably the best I've ever seen.

I've seen Clapton several times, only once did he impress and it was damn near religious.
 
A lot of people may not agree, but I think Joe Walsh never gets his due.

I think he is an excellent guitar player.
 
A lot of people may not agree, but I think Joe Walsh never gets his due.

I think he is an excellent guitar player.

Yes I second this, good player.
How about Bass players,
Danny Thompson double bass but how he makes it sound all around a room is unbelieveable. :music:
 
Fotno
&
My Son....

Never heard your son, but I sure enjoy hearing Fotno pick, too.

Another great guitarist nobody's ever heard of would be Chris Cain. He's a blues/jazz type and he can do some amazing stuff on the guitar. I've seen him a few times and would go again in a heartbeat. Along those lines I'd also add Robben Ford to the list.

Ray
 
I've changed favorites over the last 30 years.

Used to be Clapton, now it's Stevie Ray
Used to be Clapton, now it's Gary Moore
Used to be Clapton, now it's Walter Trout

Clapton's "Have you ever been Mistreated" is still one of the best he's ever done. Didn't enjoy his Unplugged: I need Electric Power!
 
Jimi Hendrix (LOVE his blues numbers!)
John Lee Hooker
Lightnin' Hopkins
 
Back
Top Bottom