• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Allen model 75 organ amplifiers

Anyone ever modify the power supply with damper diodes to bring up a slower B+ rise?

No one has modified the power supply for a slow B+ start up? The reason I'm asking is it would seem that the 75 has to cool down a bit before it is powered back on because the B+ is instant and it doesn't like that.
 
Hiya,

No one has modified the power supply for a slow B+ start up? The reason I'm asking is it would seem that the 75 has to cool down a bit before it is powered back on because the B+ is instant and it doesn't like that.

Allen 90's like mine have 5R4GY rectification.

I would guess you could look into a third party solution or using some smaller damper tubes you could tuck under the chassis. Although I am not sure if smaller ones would be up to the task amperage wise.

Frannie
 
No one has modified the power supply for a slow B+ start up? The reason I'm asking is it would seem that the 75 has to cool down a bit before it is powered back on because the B+ is instant and it doesn't like that.

http://tubedata.tubes.se/sheets/191/6/6DE4.pdf

You would most likely want to add a 2 amp filament transformer and would loose about 5 watts with the B+ drop and a lot of bass .

Instant on B+ won't hurt the tubes , it has been like that over 50 why change now .
 
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm so used to amp with rectifier tubes and being able to turn them off and right back on that I forgot that with a SS rectifier one must let the tubes cool a bit before turning right back on?
 
Anyone have the schematic for the older version of the amp with the 3 vertical resistors mounted on the right portion of the top of the chassis? I've been told this version is different.
 
Back
Top Bottom