• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec 288-8H horns/drivers

jackson

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Howdy- I am looking at this lot of Altec Lansing Horns/drivers. They are listed as 288-8H drivers. I can't seem to find much info on them. Anyone have any info for me? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • altec horns.jpg
    altec horns.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 134
Register to hide this ad
I ran them for years in my home system. the 288 is their big driver. 1.5" throat. That is a real find. Keep a pair and sell the rest on the bay to fund the cabs and woofs and MiniDSP and a SS amp for the woofs and tube amp for the horns.
 
Howdy- I am looking at this lot of Altec Lansing Horns/drivers. They are listed as 288-8H drivers. I can't seem to find much info on them. Anyone have any info for me? Thanks

index.php


Hopefully that picture shows them inside somewhere ( & not exposed to the elements ).

Google & eBay are your best friends for establishing value of the various parts that you see there.

This thread will move to a different forum if you start asking what things are worth ( oh BTW ).

:)
 
The 288G and 288H were the last of the big body Altec AlNiCo drivers. The 288G had the metal phase plug, and the 288H had the tangerine.

A pair with original diaphragms goes for big bucks.
 
If you'll look up the specs, you'll find the unit uses Alnico magnet structure and with the original diaphragm is about +/- 2 db from 50 to 16,000 Hz. They are rated for 40 watts when crossed at 500 HZ. At the recommendation of the former head of development at Altec he recommended crossing the driver above 650 Hz at 12 db/octave to prevent physically over driving the suspension of the diaphragm. If crossed at 700 Hz using a 100 watt Mcintosh power amp with power guard I never had a diaphragm fail. The amp put out about 125/ per channel before the Power Guard prevents more than 2% distortion... One thing about the 311 horns. Unlike the 511 horn and the short Multicells the 311 doesn't have the honking sound when used with a 500 HZ crossover. The horn horizontal dispersion isn't as even as the EV great White Horn series of similar size and the EV will support 250 hz when used with the 290 series drivers. As I remember you should get about 108 db 4 ft 1 watt. 817 woofer box with two. 416 is the best match . 104 db 4ft 1 watt and is flat to 40 hz radiating into a hall sphere. If you want high output I would want 515 HPLN, but that limits your response in the bass. One disco I installed had 12 817 stacked in pairs hung above the round dance floor perimeter using 6 311 horns with 288 H. Later we changed to 291 diaphragms and added 6 Quads of MR 902 16 HF as tweeters crossed at 8 KHZ. We drove the 288/291 with a Mcintosh 2255, They put out 330 + watts per channel, for 3 drivers, thats 110 watts each. Crossed at 700 HZ we never lost a diaphragm till a DJ played with the electronic cross over settings.
 
Last edited:
The horns in that lot exceed the value of the drivers. I'd love the 329A's

Somebody's ignorance and haste is gonna put a nice chunk of change in somebody else' bank account.

Jesus, there's 10K sitting on those pallets, coming to an ebay page near you soon!
 
Back
Top Bottom