• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Lansing model Nine

LBPete

Rolling Along
Subscriber
Anyone have experience or opinions on the Altec Lansing Nine series II? I don't see much when doing a search.

- Pete
 
Register to hide this ad
I've never heard them, but knew a couple guys who raved about theirs.
They're a three way paper cone based system similar to JBL Centuries or Horizons (these are charitable comparisons, as the Altec 9s don't have nearly the following of the JBLs).

They're worth taking a look at....
 
I've shared elsewhere on in this forum that I have the Model Seven Series II's and like them very much. They are not something you can crank the hell out of but for moderate listening levels they are nice. Can only imagine the 9's would only improve on that .

macv
 
I once owned a pair of Model Nine Series II's. I believe that they were rated at 60 watts RMS. I'd consider that to be underrated.

I got rid of them merely because I was moving and they were too large for my new apartment. The friend that I sold them to still has them and loves them for their ability to play "extremely loud, yet still sound perfectly clear."

I had to replace the surrounds on the midranges and woofers when I first got them. The controls for the mid and tweeter levels also needed a good cleaning. If these things have not been done yet to the pair that you are interested in I would keep that in mind.

I'm sure that I would still have them if I had the space as they were/are great speakers.

Rich
 
The 9s were the top of the Altec line at that time so I would expect them to sound good. I couldn't find much posted on the Altecs so they clearly don't have nearly the following that the JBLs that were mentioned have. (I have a pair of JBL Horizons and like them allot.)

These Altecs belong to a co-worker who bought them new. He’s is thinking of moving them along and was curious about what he had. I really don't need any more big speakers but I told him I would find out what I could. I do appreciate the information.

- Pete
 
My brother owns a pair of pristine Altec 9's. I myself have not heard them but he says they are great sounding speakers.

Russ
 
I really like Altec speakers. I have a pair of model 8 series 2 speakers that I can't say enough about. I'd love to hear some 9's. Tusk
 
Back
Top Bottom