• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec lansing one series ii opinions

NJguy

Super Member
Anyone know anything about the altec lansing one series II? I may have a chance at getting them and wanted to know more about them first. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Bottom of the consumer line from the original company. 8 inch 2 way, they'll have handsome well built cabinets, moisture/water damage is their biggest enemy. Will need refoaming if they haven't been.

Not high in the value department, but a good sounding little speaker for what it is, perhaps a bit more sensitive than the typical 8 in 2-way.
 
I have Altec Lansing Model One speakers. They are very nice speakers w/ an Altec sound compared to Model 15s I owned earlier, though not as good as you may guess.

It is a 2 way acoustic suspension speaker. The bass is tight because of the sealed box. Furthermore the 8" woofer uses an alnico magnet like the big Altecs. It also operates full range w/o a crossover on the woofer, using the speakers natural roll-off instead. The 2" cone tweeter uses a simple 1st order crossover w/ only one cap. They are clear sounding speakers and sound especially good w/ tube amps or vintage amps w/ a low dampening factor.
 
I passed on it. It was at an estate sale. Surrounds were gone and they wanted $125 for them. They probably would have dropped the price had i tried but i dont want another refoam project. Thanks for the input folks.
 
I'm not sure. These are them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
My guess is that they might have switched to a foam surround when the series II was introduced. But, that's purely a guess.

The odd number series was introduced around 1975. Many of the models prior to that using 8 or 10 inch woofers had rubber surrounds.

In the 1975 reference guide, the model one specs the same 30867 woofer as the earlier model 887 Capri. Perhaps early model ones used remaining inventory. We will probably never know for sure.
 
Wonder if they were original woofers. My Model Ones have rubber surrounds.

Mines are rubber surround as well. There's no mention of serie II so I assume they're not. I've been using them as my computer room speakers for over 10 years with my A21 sugden amplifier (that needs a caps job). They are about 30 watts max. Not powerfull but descent sound.
 
I think my Altec Model Ones sound quite remarkable w/ a tube amp vs. a SS amp, because the acoustic suspension design offers a very tight bass.

I don't think Altec mentions Series II on their cabinets. There is suttle design changes. My Altec Model 15s were Series II, but didn't say so. The evidence in those where the detail on the port w/ a trim piece that said 'fifteen altec lansing'.

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom