• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Model 19 Score...

Well, when I sent in my 291-16B's to rephragm into 288-16G's, one had a 'phragm and one didn't. However, I didn't get the remaining 'phragm back.

In all fairness though, I didn't ask...:stupid:

Well, what I have is one working phragm and one missing phragm. The guy at GPA told me that he is going to test the existing phragm, replace the missing one and test/recharge both alnico drivers all for the cost of just replacing one phragm.

Sounds like a smokin deal to me. :D

The question remains; should I send the woofers for a test/recharge as well being as they are also Alnico?
 
Might be a good idea to get both diaphragms replaced, as they can become work hardened with age. Maybe Bill @GPA can advise.
 
Well, what I have is one working phragm and one missing phragm. The guy at GPA told me that he is going to test the existing phragm, replace the missing one and test/recharge both alnico drivers all for the cost of just replacing one phragm.

Sounds like a smokin deal to me. :D

The question remains; should I send the woofers for a test/recharge as well being as they are also Alnico?

I could have sworn that the Model 19 never had any Alnico drivers in it.Heck,the 846B Valencia never had any Alnico either. :scratch2:
 
I could have sworn that the Model 19 never had any Alnico drivers in it.Heck,the 846B Valencia never had any Alnico either. :scratch2:

Bowtie can tell you better, but it seems that Altec had no problem throwing whatever happened to be on the shelf into the boxes. However, my 19's cames with two 802-8G's, one 416-8A and one 416-8B. I managed to sell the 8A and buy a 8B. However, all these drivers are AlNiCo to the best of my knowledge....
 
I could have sworn that the Model 19 never had any Alnico drivers in it.Heck,the 846B Valencia never had any Alnico either. :scratch2:
Theo, 416-8B is THE model 19 woofer, indeed, the woofer which the system was designed around. Late model 19's were equipped with 416-8C after the 416-8B's discontinuation. Folks who have owned both versions will tell you in no certain terms that the 416-8B is the more ideal load for the 19.

If you look at Altec's catalogs and brochures for the years 1976, 77 and 78, you'll see that 416-8B is even specified as the model 19 woofer in the spec charts.

The model 846B/U Valencia's made near the end of their production can also be found with 416-8B woofers, they're not terribly common, but are out there.

416-8B is also specified in the 1975 catalog as the woofer for 846B/U, but exactly what time frame the change from 416-8A to 8B took place is a guess at best, probably late in '74.
 
Might be a good idea to get both diaphragms replaced, as they can become work hardened with age. Maybe Bill @GPA can advise.

+1, and as we all said many times, "remove the phragms before sending them in" and get both replaced so they match, you're diaphragms are probably the valuable 23744 lites, I woudn't send them in!! :no:

I don't think I'd send the woofers in for recharge unless they were abused or dropped, maybe GPA has another opinion, if I lived close and didn't have to pay freight then yes, I'd have them recharged, just my $.02, Dave.
 
So, if I send both drivers, sans diaphragms and get two new diaphragms......Do I sell the old one? :scratch2:
Maybe.

Identify it first. If it's a 23744, you could sell it during the peak season on ebay and recoup a significant portion of your repair costs.

If it's a 34647, you may elect to keep it around as a spare. although, it too will have a fair resale value, it probably wouldn't bring as much as a well represented 23744.
 
Well after one hell of alot of sanding and prepping (alot of surface area here) I am now finishing these with Tung Oil and getting ready to order parts for crossover rebuild and rewiring.

I'll post some after photos once I get these back together.
 
Update.

I have decided to build the Z19 crossovers using the original L-Pads. I am going to leave the original crossovers completely intact just disconnecting the L-pad leads from the original crossover so these can be easily converted back to original if desired.

I have got all the parts in for the Z19 and I will be building them soon; in fact, my wife and son are going to visit her parents for two weeks starting December 26th so I plan on getting this project as well as the F5 both done during that two week stretch.

I am going to put fresh fiberglass in the cabinets since the old ones are now a hybrid fiberglass / sawdust mixture. :D

In order to keep curious little hands out of the cabinets I am going to attach some screen door material on the back of the port.

Further updates coming soon!!
 
Great, I have a pair of Model 19's that I've wanted to do the same with. Looking forward to your evaluation, fresh caps alone would most likely make a noteable difference.
 
Last edited:
Great, I have a pair of Model 19's that I've wanted to do the same with. Looking forward to your evaluation, fresh caps alone would most likely make a noteable difference.

Most definitely. I rebuilt mine with Solens per a thread that Dave Wojo posted at one point. They're noticeably brighter, but seem to mellow and come into their own over a few months....
 
Btw, removed the existing diaphragm and got the compression drivers boxed up for their journey to GPA for new diaphragms and recharge.

For inquiring minds, the diaphragm was in fact a 23744. :banana:
 
I'm looking forward to seeing them hooked up to that dad-blasted F-5! You've got the longest build delay in AK F-5 history almost.......I say almost. There's the case of Rays build....:D. I tarried on for a long time, and as Specialidiot kept telling me "Get it fired up" This amp sounds so good on stuff like Altec you will be loving it! :yes:

Russellc
 
I'm looking forward to seeing them hooked up to that dad-blasted F-5! You've got the longest build delay in AK F-5 history almost.......I say almost. There's the case of Rays build....:D. I tarried on for a long time, and as Specialidiot kept telling me "Get it fired up" This amp sounds so good on stuff like Altec you will be loving it! :yes:

Russellc

The problem with this looooong delay is I've pretty much forgotten where to reference everything on Diyaudio for the build so I will most likely need to lean heavily upon fellow AK F5 Builders... :D
 
Back
Top Bottom