• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Model 19 Score...

Having a set of 19's is like having some explosives.....depending how much you need you will have it all right there! I must admit their sound is powerful and unique- well worth owing or at the very least listening to once in a while.

The reputation they have with tube amps is unequaled and well known among many owner. Be sure to make that part of their diet! I can also tell you a modest powered MOSFET works very well with them too.

The proper time you are taking to restore and upgrade them will be time very well spent I can asure you! To be the vintage year platform they are they are un-equaled in my sound book. While I have yet to hear Tannoy Royals- I can attest that the 19's being the best all round speaker i have had the fortune to own and listen to.
DC
 
One other thing you might want to think about doint Anthony, coating the exterior of the horns with like a 1/2" dense foam, or spraying them with plastic dip to render them less sound transfering- worked great on my horns! Also PE is selling 15" grills cheap to put over those 416's to keep curios finger from punching out those delicate dustcaps.

Also HD carpet casters and beefy 2"x2" toes board worked well down below in the place of that winpy 3/4" x 2"" particle board!!
DC
 
Also PE is selling 15" grills cheap to put over those 416's to keep curios finger from punching out those delicate dustcaps. DC

Already got these in, just trying to figure out a way to attach them without damaging the cabinets.. :scratch2:
 
The problem with this looooong delay is I've pretty much forgotten where to reference everything on Diyaudio for the build so I will most likely need to lean heavily upon fellow AK F5 Builders... :D

Go ahead, I took notes through that thread. I used the Daniels boards, several here used Cviller, Both are again available.

Its a straight forward build. Within an hour of successful fireup, you will be kicking yourself for waiting...I know I did. And this Altec thing is like perfect for them. This will rock!

Russellc
 
One other thing you might want to think about doint Anthony, coating the exterior of the horns with like a 1/2" dense foam, or spraying them with plastic dip to render them less sound transfering- worked great on my horns! Also PE is selling 15" grills cheap to put over those 416's to keep curios finger from punching out those delicate dustcaps. Also HD carpet casters and beefy 2"x2" toes board worked well down below in the place of that winpy 3/4" x 2"" particle board!!
DC

Since I was thinking of building new grills this may be a better option. My youngest is 6 and she knows not to touch but with metal covers I wouldn't have to worry.
 
I could have sworn that the Model 19 never had any Alnico drivers in it.Heck,the 846B Valencia never had any Alnico either. :scratch2:

Not sure this is normal, but my 846B Valencia's have the 802 8Bs and 416-8Zs. All Alnico drivers... :scratch2:

ck
 
Not sure this is normal, but my 846B Valencia's have the 802 8Bs and 416-8Zs. All Alnico drivers... :scratch2:

ck

Yeah.I'm mistake prone(one of the few human beings like this,in fact).I thought that the switch to 8 ohms from 16 ohms marked the departure from alnico to ferrite.

Not so. :nono:

Thankfully a boot in the arse is all I need to reset the CPU.
 
If you bought something like these metal grills, you could drill holes from the backside of the baffle and install neodymium magnets to hold the steel grill in place. You don't need to make through holes to the front of the baffle so would bypass any cosmetic issues. A forstner bit will be your friend. A detailed installation would include filling the magnet holes on the inside of the front baffle with wood filler so they are unnoticeable.

Dpending on the weight of the grill, maybe four 3/8"W x 1/2"H neodymium magnets might offer the necesary holding power. Some of the websites that sell them offer a weight rating: Cylinder magnets
 
Not sure this is normal, but my 846B Valencia's have the 802 8Bs and 416-8Zs. All Alnico drivers... :scratch2:

ck

That's not normal. Valencias usually came with 806 drivers. The 802s are superior but were more expensive.
 
Nice.
Did you use new insulation? I think I'm going to do that but can I use regular insulation trimmed to the thickness that's in the cabinet now?
 
I actually reused the original fiberglass. I just took it out and shook it out really well then flipped it over so the cleaner side faced forward.
 
Alright, I got a hold of the Darsts and the foam horn surrounds are on their way to me now. Also, GPA shipped out my compression drivers with alnico recharge and new diaphragms today too. Not much longer. :banana:
 
Well, the moment we (especcially I) have been all waiting for. THEY'RE DONE!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
 

Attachments

  • DSC00294.jpg
    DSC00294.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC00296.jpg
    DSC00296.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 240
Beautiful! The grills looks nice.
Mine are coming along. I have decided to have all four grills replicated from the two good ones I have.
But how do they sound with those Z19's?
 
Back
Top Bottom