• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

American Acoustic Speakers

Noborigama

PioneerJunkie AudioAddict
I bought a pair of speakers by American Acoustic that are rated 100-200 W.
Anyone heard of this brand? What are your thoughts? The price was right at $40.00 for the pair.
 
Register to hide this ad
The AA I remember had an Eagle on the speakers somewhere. They were mostly sold at furniture stores. Or maybe it was AAL. American acoustic labs.
 
American Acoustics, with an s?

I had a pair of small bookshelf. Nice drivers. House brand quality.
 
American Acoustics, with an s?

I had a pair of small bookshelf. Nice drivers. House brand quality.

They are "American Acoustics model A124" The guy I bought them from said the company was in Madison Wisconsin. These are probably from late 80's early 90's.:yes:
 
American Acoustics D2550E, The Mitek Group (parent company of MTX and DCM), Winslow, Il.:

aad2550e1.jpg


aad2550e2.jpg


aad2250e3.jpg


6.5" woofer, front ported, c. 1988.

Not awful sounding, but nothing special. I use 'em as test speakers.
 
I sold American Acoustics back in the mid to late 80's I think it was. Seems like we had them from 6.5" up to 15" speakers and most all used some sort of piezo tweeter in the larger ones. They sure played loud...
 
You guys don't know American Acoustics?

They either became or merged with MTX Audio, which is part of the MiTek Corporation. MiTek is also the parent company to DCM Loudspeakers and Esoteric Audio (known for its cables, not to be confused with TEAC's Esoteric brand).
 
Reviving a couple months old thread. I was just offered a pair of D5500's with one woofer missing. Just wondering if it's worth picking them up (haven't seen or heard them) and if there is any chance of finding a woofer. Guess I'd need to see what the remaining one is. If they are part of MTX, DCM etc. no doubt they made their own drivers?
 
I bought 4 of the A-124's back in 1989 i think. They were ok,nothing special. They had a decent warranty on them. Shortly after i bought them i also bought a Pioneer SX-1280 and that was just a bit more than they would handle. I blew up all 4 of them and in fact 2 of them even welded the voice coils solid. When i had them repaired they replace the woofers with MTX Roadthunder woofers and man what a difference that made in bass response. With the long throw MTX's in there they wold blow out a bic lighter from 16 feet away. I still have them but have since went to MTX PWR-215's on a Pioneer SX-1980.
 
They are "American Acoustics model A124" The guy I bought them from said the company was in Madison Wisconsin. These are probably from late 80's early 90's.:yes:

Have you ever heard of American TV? AAL was their house brand, but they were made in Monroe, WI. Mitek bought the company and it's now part of MTX.
 
I bought a pair of bookshelf 6 1/2 woofer DA2550s, rated 78 watts peak, at American TV in Madison WI many years ago. They are playing in a bedroom now. They are paired with a 10" Dayton sub. I wouldn't consider them "low quality" rather medium.quality. As mentioned early they were a house brand but popular at American TV.
 
Last edited:
Hello this is a late response but the problem with the AAL 's from the 80 and 90's that were made by MTX has nothing to do with the speakers themselves. It is and was people trying to use them with garbage processors and amplifiers or home theater amp and professors. These speakers are rated 4oh and people try to use them with 8 ohm inferior equipment. I've owned about 6 pairs of the 1540 model and I have 2 pairs now plus 1 lone 1540 and looking to add more to them because someone stole my other sets. They are rated 250 watts but I have a fosgate 4200 that is rated 600 watts bridged in 4 ohm and had it almost all the way up for hours on end and never had an issue with the speakers. I run them with that amp along with the fosgate model 3A processor. I even ran them with B&K amps and Dynaco amps Marantz amps and a few other amps. I have a Citation 7.1 that I will be hooking up to them along with an Aragon 8008 amplifier to see how they all sound together. The point is, that all of these amplifiers that I had mentioned are all 4 ohm units or are both 4 to 8 ohm compatible. It's just like car speakers are 4 ohm and you try to hook them up to a piece of garbage amplifier, the amp is going to get fried. They are not made for that low of an impedance. Also if the amplifier or home theater amplifier processor says it's power rating is more than a 100 watts and it is really lite when you pick it up. Then it's garage. A good amplifier even an older Dynaco weigh a bit. My Fosgate weighs about 75 pounds as well as the citation the Aragon amp is around that also. Good equipment isn't lite or cheaply built. But the MTX AAL 1540 to me is a high end speaker. Most high end speakers are not 8 ohm impedance, they are 6 ohm or lower that is because the resistance on an 8 ohm or higher is greater than lower ohm speakers so they don't work as hard, but your amplifier does work harder so this is why you need a good amplifier to be able to really enjoy these speakers. The Bass is tight with no need for a separate sub. The mids are great as well as the highs. These speakers sound natural in the highs and mids. Most speakers the tweeters have a tendency to be over heard meaning you hear more of the tweeter than the mids. The Bass is non directional unlike the mids and higher frequencies. I have Bose and JBL and magnepan had many other home speakers but I like the MTX AAL 1540 the most so far. I had Polk car speakers before, but the tweeters were always blowing so after the 3 rd tweeter replacement I disposed of them. Don't know anything about their home speakers but after not being impressed with the car speakers, I didn't care to try their home speakers, they might be good I just don't know, I wasn't going to take that risk with my equipment. Speakers can damage amplifiers and other equipment so be careful in what you buy. Also find out from the manufacture what is the impedance load that the unit can handle.
 
I have Bose and JBL and magnepan had many other home speakers but I like the MTX AAL 1540 the most so far.

Uh huh.

They are rated 250 watts but I have a fosgate 4200 that is rated 600 watts bridged in 4 ohm and had it almost all the way up for hours on end and never had an issue with the speakers

If that is true then I dont think much of your audio opinions since you probably need hearing aids.

Most high end speakers are not 8 ohm impedance

Do you have some stats on that?

I had Polk car speakers before, but the tweeters were always blowing so after the 3 rd tweeter replacement I disposed of them. Don't know anything about their home speakers but after not being impressed with the car speakers, I didn't care to try their home speakers, they might be good I just don't know, I wasn't going to take that risk with my equipment

Ummm ok. Was that a new thought (if so a new paragraph might be a good idea) or somehow part of your earlier thought, which I must say, I found pretty confusing.
 
I had a pair as my garage speakers. They actually good in a big wide open room.
 
Back
Top Bottom