• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

American Acoustic Speakers

Mitek was a customer of mine when they were going strong in Winslow IL. I can't remember the model number of the speakers I had but they were a 3 way with a 15" woofer. Bulletproof and a very good Rock speaker. Not very accurate at all but if you wanted to listen to Ted Nugent loud, they were pretty good.
 
Might not be that terrible as some might think, saw a pair with a Phillips tweeter in there. They pop up on C.L. once in a while.
 
Last edited:
I bought a pair of bookshelf 6 1/2 woofer DA2550s, rated 78 watts peak, at American TV in Madison WI many years ago. They are playing in a bedroom now. They are paired with a 10" Dayton sub. I wouldn't consider them "low quality" rather medium.quality. As mentioned early they were a house brand but popular at American TV.
They were never a house brand...they were built in Chicago in the mid 70"s as disco speakers...at which they were quite good. They produced a Apollo and Classic Line that were wood cabinets. They weren't very accurate but boy were they fun to listen to Kiss, Zep AC/DC on. Big woofers and piezo tweeters. Today the piezo can be replaced by a Dynaudio Esotar tweeter. then they sound much more modern
 
Yes they were a house brand, American of Madison and Milwaukee. I bought mine there.
You can't break them, these thing will even play distortion and clipping.
 
That dealer might have sold them as a house brand, such as Crazy Eddie in Ny selling Acousti-phase. They were indeed available throughout the country.
 
I have a pair that says "AAL 154 250 WATTS POWER". That's all they say, front or back. They're 4-ways with a 15" woofer, bought them in 1990, and all I know is that they're super loud and still sound great today. Not sure about the ohms, but I still have the Kenwood KR-V7020 that I bought with them, (on a shelf) and there's a switch in the back that's set for 8 ohm speakers. So maybe I got really lucky, but I've played a LOT of loud bass through them over the years, and it still amazes me that they didn't disintegrate years ago...
 
I have a pair that says "AAL 154 250 WATTS POWER". That's all they say, front or back. They're 4-ways with a 15" woofer, bought them in 1990, and all I know is that they're super loud and still sound great today. Not sure about the ohms, but I still have the Kenwood KR-V7020 that I bought with them, (on a shelf) and there's a switch in the back that's set for 8 ohm speakers. So maybe I got really lucky, but I've played a LOT of loud bass through them over the years, and it still amazes me that they didn't disintegrate years ago...
I dont think American Accoustics and AAL are the same company.
 
Just had the woofers re-foamed in these and I'm genuinely surprised. They sound fairly decent for all the trash that's been posted about them. Considering that I traded a $15 album for them and paid a friend $40 to do the re-foam, I feel like I'm ahead.

20210514_120427_HDR.jpg 20210514_120543.jpg 20210514_120432.jpg 20210514_120606_HDR.jpg 20210514_120509.jpg 20210514_120449_HDR.jpg
 
My father used to work for Loyd ivey in in the 70's. He was the supervisor of the woman who hand soldered the cross-overs in the basement of the plant at 629 west Cermak, in chgo.il. I remember Loyd and the entire plant... I actually used to go there and Loyd would sell me any speakers I wanted at cost... memories from years gone by...
 
Picked up a pair of the D2550E bookshelf speakers the other day for $10. I liked the cabinets & grills so i figured if they didnt sound good i could dig in my collection of salvaged mids and tweets and make them sound good. When i tried to test them i found that the original woofers put my yamaha receiver into protect mode so i took them out and found that the woofers read 1ohm. I dug in my speakers drawers and found some vintage sony woofers that ended up sounding really nice in the cabinets. There are no crossovers for the woofers and only a capacitor for the tweeters. The cabinets and grills are made well. The original woofers have pretty small magnets and the foam is ready to tear but with some good mids in the cabinets they sound great.

20240812_200214.jpg
 
Pics of my American Monitors 12XP speakers.
 

Attachments

  • AM_12XP_2.jpg
    AM_12XP_2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AM_12XP_3.jpg
    AM_12XP_3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 8
  • AM_12XP_4.jpg
    AM_12XP_4.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AM_12XP_5.jpg
    AM_12XP_5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 5
  • AM_12XP_1.jpg
    AM_12XP_1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 5
Pics of my American Monitors 12XP speakers.
I got a pair of 12XP cabinets yesterday. Yours look nice. I also got mine in SW MI. My cabinets are pretty nice ninus on chip in the veneer so im likely going to fix the chip then sand/restain them. I picked them up to use the two pairs of CTS tweets in other projects but they are nicer than i expected and sound great so im thinking about keeping them.
American Monitor 12XP 1.jpg
American Monitor 12XP A.jpg
 
I picked up a set for $10. The foams were shot and one woofer had a cone with some creases in it. I put on new foams and attempted to fix the creases in the one cone. But it just didn't work out. It made placing the foam impossible to do correctly. So after all was done, I have a buzz in the woofer. But all in all, even without a crossover, these don't sound all that bad for what they are. I get a lot of speakers in, some will end up as parts. Maybe use something on these if it arises.
 
I just picked up these DS88's on Facebook Marketplace for $80. I couldn't pass them up, they were the perfect match for the DS1010's I have owned since I bought them in 1990 I think. I just contacted MTX, they gave me some info. I think Mitek is the direct affiliation with AAL, I always thought MTX built these models I have now. Still a little confusing but now I want to find a pair of the DS1212's cause those were the ones I wanted to buy first when I settled on the DS1010's. Lol, they are still in great shape and sound great for my ears.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260812_002112698.jpg
    PXL_20260812_002112698.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom