• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

An 8 track player I'd never thought I'd own

175 plus shipping+tax. I admit, I jumped on it because of the condition;)
Thats not too bad, all things considered.

Mine was 99 usd, but shipping, taxes and exchange turned that into about 210 cdn.

The 8075 is top tier for 8 tracks. Doesn’t get any better for recording/playback.

It’s the Nakamichi Dragon of 8 tracks. I was surprised I found one at all, let alone for 99 usd.

Could have gotten it for 90 had I sat on it a bit, as the seller sent an offer of 90 when I put it in my ebay watchlist. But I had already jumped on the 99, not wanting someone else to scoop it from under me. Wollensak's don't sit for long on ebay, certainly not the "top dog" 8075.

I’m happy with what I paid for what got, which is all that matters.

:)
 
Last edited:
A Scotch Classic cart popped up on Ebay:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Still in original shrink wrap. But it will still need a new foam pressure pad and tape splice. That's just par for the course with old 8 track tapes these days. I don't even trust splices if they look "mint", they all get replaced. Full stop.

It's the recommended tape in the Wollensak 8075 in "special" mode:

wollensak_wollensack_8075_advert_en_unlocked.jpg



It should let it achieve that 15Khz peak that's so uncommon in 8 tracks. It will let me put the 8075 though it's paces and give me something to compare to factory pre-recorded carts.

At the time, it was so "new" a tape formulation, they hadn't even named it before they released the 8075. From the user manual:

1.jpg
But they did name it by the time the service manual was released:

2.jpg

What the differences were I have no idea. But it even lists the 8075 on the back of the "Classic" box pic posted above.

I paid, perhaps, a little bit too much for it once shipping and exchange were accounted for, but my curiosity got the better of me.

This should at least be interesting.

:)
 
Last edited:
That Scotch Classic box looks a lot like some of the Scotch Classic reel to reel tape- one of the types that can become ‘sticky’.
Keep an ear open for squealing or oxide building up on the tape path with that one.
 
I thought you might be interested to know that I did get mine last night. It is in fact in very nice cosmetic condition. I plugged it into the Dbt didn’t get a short, so I plugged it into mains. The motor seems fine yay! I replaced the belts, they were still intact, but slack. It sounds very nice on one channel. The other is out. All the program lamps are out.I need to deoxit the switches. I’m gonna need to put it away at the moment though. I’m replacing the soffit and gutters on my house and I’m building a curve tracer so I have my hands full. this is gonna set aside for a little bit until I can get to it.
 
Last edited:
I thought you might be interested to know that I did get mine last night. It is in fact in very nice cosmetic condition. I plugged it into the Dbt didn’t get a short, so I plugged it into mains. The motor seems fine yay! I replaced the belts, they were still intact, but slack. It sounds very nice on one channel. The other is out. All the program lamps are out.I need to deoxit the switches. I’m gonna need to put it away at the moment though. I’m replacing the soffit and gutters on my house and I’m building a curve tracer so I have my hands full. this is gonna set aside for a little bit until I can get to it.
A pic or two wouldn't go amiss.....;)
 
IMG_1631.jpegIMG_1630.jpeg
Top photo is on my bench, bottom photo is from the listing. That’s just a bit of tape on the right meter.
 
Cool. Welcome to the pinnacle of 8 track development....which is sort of a "tongue in cheek" thing.

You just gotta get it sorted out now.
 
The Wollensak is generally considered "better" than the Akai's, but only by a marginal amount. The only place the Wolly isn't considered "better" than the akai's is with regards to the motor. The Akai's use (so I've read) a fairly large AC motor. The Wollensak's use a DC motor that has been reported to be a bit on the weak side and somewhat failure prone.

The Ac motors are freq locked to the mains and require pulley changes to affect speed corrections, the DC motor in the Wolly is adjustable by a VR pot. If an Akai is running slow and it's not the belt or a leaking run/start capacitor, it's the motor itself. If The wolley runs slow (or fast) a twiddle on the vr may bring it back in.

Which is actually "better" is kind of a worthless argument with everything over 40 years old by now. In theory, the AC motor should be better (torque) and should stand up to aging better than a DC motor with it's commutator brushes that wear with use.

My Wolley 8075 was exhibiting motor issues that seems to be typical of them as they age. That was until I took it apart, cleaned the internals and soaked the bronze end bushings in oil. Now, it runs strong enough to fight my hand trying to slow it down. I suspect a lot of Wollensak DC motors that were condemned were actually just in need of a servicing, something that a lot of people just don't want to do because everything inside a motor case is on the order of "black magic" to them. The Wolley motor is even more "black magic" because it has a speed sensing section on the back of it too. I believe it varies the torque according to load sensing, which is why it "fights back" when I try to slow it down by grabbing the pulley.

Then there's the general specs of both. The 8075 has it over the CR-81d pretty much everywhere other than 15 khz vs 16 khz. But it's all pretty close and in practice, probably not even noticeable. I'd be pretty skeptical if someone said they can hear that 1 khz difference, even more so if they're over 50 years old. Which, frankly, captures virtually all of the demographic that still fool around with 8 tracks these days.

Akai CR-81D specs:

Frequency Response: 50Hz to 16kHz
Signal to Noise Ratio: 47dB
Wow and Flutter: 0.35%
Total Harmonic Distortion: 4%

Wollensak 8075 specs:

freq response: 30hz-15khz (with Scotch special tape)
signal to noise ratio;
wow and flutter: 0.1%
Harm distortion:
Dolby off - better than 50
Dolby on: better than 60 at 4000hz and above, better than 59 at 2400hz, BT 5 at 1200hz, BT 53 q5 600hz.

The Wollensak has Dolby B, which makes for better SNR over the Akai's. Even without Dolby, the 8075 is better spec than the Akai. I used to think like most that Dobly wasn't of much use and it just makes things sound "dull' until I got a proper Dolby deck and a good Dolby recorded tape. It was actually another 8 track deck, my superscope TDR-830 and Rush: Farewell to KIngs taht was factory recorded in Dolby. I Flicked on Dolby and the tape hiss pretty much just dissappeared. It was marvelous! No tape hiss on magnetic tape! Dolby is a dead format, but I find myself trying to maximize it's use on tape now. It actually works when it's used the way it was intended.

Those max high freq numbers are pretty much moot though. The real limitation is the tape formulation and 8 rack tape tops out at 12 khz. You only got up into the 15/16khz range using "wide range" tape formulations. They didn't make a lot of that because most machines didn't reach that high, so there's not a lot of it around anymore. You can still find it, but it' not common and it's all 40+ years old at this point anyways.

8 track just didn't get the development dollars compact cassettes did, so they're all stuck in the early "type I" tape formulations, which is the primary upper freq response limitations that have to deal with. For the same reason, not many consumer recorders were designed to use anything much over 12khz.

There's also the fact that those are "new" specs and anything 8 track has got a good 40 years of aging and use on it. So what any one particular machine is actually doing for specs is anyone's guess.

8 Track is a "lo-fi" format. But that's a part of it's charms. Once you've got a decent player and rebuilt the carts, it's a simple jam the cart in it's pie hoe and let it run. No muss, no fuss. And it can actually sound surprisingly good once everything is "up to snuff". It's not CD, Vinyl or even compact cassette, but get it right and it's surprisingly warm. It's even comforting if you went through the 8 track era. I and the signal through a 10 band EQ and a BBE 482i and it is surprisingly good.

"Boston" is meant to be on 8 track to my ear. It just fits better than CD or vinyl. Can't explain it, it just sounds better to me for whatever reason. Maybe it's just nostalgia for a dead format.


"Kerchunk"

It's the groovy sounds of the 70's man! Yeah baby!


;)

I remember that Akai feeling like it weighed about as much as if it were carved out of iron lol. Eight track was never really my thing, but I respected that one after I took it apart for a look.
 
Barry passed away
 
Barry passed away
Well it's sad to hear when anyone passes.

Judging by the comments, it sounds like it took hold of and finished him in under 6-ish months.

I'm guessing the source of his replacement DC speed control motors also passed with him.

I got the idea of my capstan “refreshing” blasting process from one of his videos. He didn’t do a “how to” (or even show how he did it) but mentioned it once and that was all I needed to be off and running to develop my own …
 
Last edited:
Well, he Scotch Classic tape arrived.

Dug through my collection of 8 track tapes and found a radio shack "Supertape":

fr_5964.jpg

Not the best of the era, but certainly representative of what people were transferring music to for just regular tape. This one is used, with some kind of old country garbage all over it. I"ll bulk erase it, which will bring as back to "new" as possible.

Foam is crushed, as they all are a this point. Both will get new foams as both will get new splices.

Then I'll record on to the supertape via the 8075 in "regular" and then the same music to the Scotch Classic in the "special" setting.

Playback will be on both my Superscope TDR-830 and the Wollensak 8075:

fr_5965.jpg

Assessment will be by ear only. I could record a test tone and then analyze it in Audacity, but I'm more concerned with if I can actually perceive a difference between the "regular" and "special" tape with just my old ears.

If I can't hear a difference, then there's no need to try and hunt down those rare Scotch Classic tapes. Regular old erased tapes will do just fine in that case.
 
Back
Top Bottom