• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another Ampex Crescendo 7108 for the registry

matt e.

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Ampex 7108 on ebay. Not sure how long this has been up, but I just noticed it. Looks a bit rough and I think the speakers have been changed. Another one for the unofficial registry.
 
Register to hide this ad
Re: “Rare Vintage 1959 Ampex Console Stereo Model Serial 7108-1096”

That’s a 1960 Crescendo in French Provincial. It’s the 96th one of these built for 1960 so it likely wasn’t sold in 1959. Sure is a grimy one!

I've posted the pictures here so the details won't be lost after the auction ends. I had previously saved those pictures but I saw something new when I went to repost the pictures here:

The reason it doesn’t have a back panel is because it wouldn’t fit after the FM multiplexer unit was retrofitted onto the back of the reel to reel drawer. Mounted in that location it sticks out quite a bit past the back panel. You can see how grimy the tubes and transformer are on one side -- along with everything else. The amplifiers are unusually grimy as the rear cover was probably separated from the cabinet in 1961.

I’ve seen a few different installation methods for the multiplexer unit in the different models -- I have to wonder whether Ampex provided any installation suggestions at all with the multiplexer units. The multiplexer could've been mounted to a board and installed upright behind the preamplifier.

In the same picture you can see that the ground wire from the turntable has been isolated by repurposing an instructional tag.

The EXIF information on the photos indicates that the pictures of the speakers were from a different photo session. All six drivers have been replaced - in spite of everything else in the console appearing original (save for some output tubes and the speaker wiring). They were probably the only items left in the console which were still in great condition.
 

Attachments

  • Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 3.jpg
    Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 4.jpg
    Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 5.jpg
    Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 5.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 6.jpg
    Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 6.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 7.png
    Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 7.png
    467.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 8.png
    Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 8.png
    427.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 9.jpg
    Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 9.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 1.jpg
    Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 2.jpg
    Ampex 1960 Crescendo 7108 sn1096 2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 29
Nothing is happening to any of my old stuff for awhile. I want to move soon. Real estate values are dropping here fairly substantially so sooner is better than later. My only goal right now is to continue packing my stuff and moving it to storage so I can do some remodeling and sell the place. 30 years in the same place has accumulated an amazing amount of stuff. My recent acquisition went straight to storage and most likely will never set foot in this house. I love this old equipment, but I really need to be lightening the load.
 
Back
Top Bottom