• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared...

Hi Frank,
I really like his box:yes: We don't get such cigar boxes in India.

Regards,
Sachin

Yes, I also love all the unique cigar (and jewelry) box cases folks have used. I never see cigar boxes either.

When I read your post the wording just struck me funny. Sorry, I couldn't resist. The humor most likely doesn't cross over to all cultures.

I did pick up several wooden boxes with keyed lids last time I browsed the local "Good Stuff Cheap" outlet store, to use for CNC's. Nothing as nice as some have used, but still more appealing to me than a generic metal box.
 
Yes, I also love all the unique cigar (and jewelry) box cases folks have used. I never see cigar boxes either.

When I read your post the wording just struck me funny. Sorry, I couldn't resist. The humor most likely doesn't cross over to all cultures.

I did pick up several wooden boxes with keyed lids last time I browsed the local "Good Stuff Cheap" outlet store, to use for CNC's. Nothing as nice as some have used, but still more appealing to me than a generic metal box.
Hi Frank,
Now I understood your comment :D:lmao:

Regards,
Sachin
 
First of all, I want to thank Sachin and Omishra for all of their help via this forum/thread and their countless emails. My hat off to you guys, THANK YOU. :banana:

Well, I was reviewing various email threads between OM and me and I found out the reason he suggested that I should use a different set of Inductors and Electrolytic Capacitors so that I could run all of the boards from the same PSU. So, I did, and connected the Switch Selector and LDR to the +15VDC side of the PSU. The PASS B1 is connected to the 24VDC and the CNC and SSP both to the -15VDC | 0 | +15VDC. I also used the LED port provided on the PASS B1 for the "Power LED" just above the ON/OFF switch and use an amber LED. On the SSP and CNC I am using the 2134 OPAmp.

I haven't try the turntable yet. :nono:

Sound??? Well I can tell that the Highs are very subtle and more define as well as the Mid's and Low's. No distortion, no noise, just a pleasure to listen to my system. I must say this, the Marantz 2252B was completely recap. That definately made a big difference in sound. A replaced every elect cap from all of the boards. Fixed the FM Stereo as well. As you can see from my pictures I have a set of Bose 901 Series III and I replaced all of the drivers with new ones and recap the Bose Active EQ. I also have an MXR EQ and that too replaced the two caps and the voltage regulators and cleaned the sliders. I am also using a Behringer Sonic Exciter SX-3040 to enhance and dominate the Low's and High's. :D

My idea is to move the Switch Selector LED's and install them on the Front Plate of the aluminum box but that will be another project. Meanwhile, here are some more pictures of the final project. :yes:

Hi Rafeel,
thanks for your kind words.I am glad you liked the final product.Do let us know your CNC listening impressions.

Regards,
Sachin
 
First of all, I want to thank Sachin and Omishra for all of their help via this forum/thread and their countless emails. My hat off to you guys, THANK YOU. :banana:

Well, I was reviewing various email threads between OM and me and I found out the reason he suggested that I should use a different set of Inductors and Electrolytic Capacitors so that I could run all of the boards from the same PSU. So, I did, and connected the Switch Selector and LDR to the +15VDC side of the PSU. The PASS B1 is connected to the 24VDC and the CNC and SSP both to the -15VDC | 0 | +15VDC. I also used the LED port provided on the PASS B1 for the "Power LED" just above the ON/OFF switch and use an amber LED. On the SSP and CNC I am using the 2134 OPAmp.

I haven't try the turntable yet. :nono:

Sound??? Well I can tell that the Highs are very subtle and more define as well as the Mid's and Low's. No distortion, no noise, just a pleasure to listen to my system. I must say this, the Marantz 2252B was completely recap. That definately made a big difference in sound. A replaced every elect cap from all of the boards. Fixed the FM Stereo as well. As you can see from my pictures I have a set of Bose 901 Series III and I replaced all of the drivers with new ones and recap the Bose Active EQ. I also have an MXR EQ and that too replaced the two caps and the voltage regulators and cleaned the sliders. I am also using a Behringer Sonic Exciter SX-3040 to enhance and dominate the Low's and High's. :D

My idea is to move the Switch Selector LED's and install them on the Front Plate of the aluminum box but that will be another project. Meanwhile, here are some more pictures of the final project. :yes:

Great looking project. Why, though, do you have the Pass B1 and a SSP in the same box? Isn't the pass B1 a preamp, the same as the SSP?
 
That's a good question

I already had both and posted the question via email to Om and he indicated that it won't hurt at all. Regardless of it, I can bypass it at any time. Still, good sound either way. Thanks for the question.:thmbsp:
 
Built two CNCs today with lot of help from a friend who is well skilled. Here are some pictures.

I wanted to add an update. Today, with a help of a friend, I took the project apart a bit to line the box with self-stick HVAC foil and change out the input and output cables. My friend had an awesome idea of using actual shielded wires. In modern laptops, there are tiny wires that run from the wireless cards to the antennas located in the screen. Plenty of those at his computer store! They are super-thin, allowing easy fit through the holes of the CNC phono board and they look awesome to boot.

One draw-back. These cables are a bit hard to strip, but well worth the effort.

Shielding the box and new wiring made for 100% noise-free phono stage. Before, there was some interference. Now, there is none. To prevent shorting to the foil at the bottom, I inserted a piece of clear plastic, also pulled out of smashed up laptop screen. Then added belt-and-suspenders move: I used computer motherboard stand-offs get the board sitting slightly higher from the bottom.

I am listening to the box now, and it's AWESOME.

Picture is attached.
 

Attachments

  • CNCphono6.jpg
    CNCphono6.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 187
G'day mate, well done. Yes good effective shielding is very important especially with something like a high gain device such as a high performance phono stage.

I've always used short lengths of good quality shielded cables on all of my DIY phono stage efforts (inputs and outputs), for this reason. However it is important to note that they must be kept short, as even a short length of shielded interconnect can possess significant amounts of cable self capacitance and can contribute somewhat to the overall capacitance loading seen by the cartridge.

As for general shieldng, I merely place my circuit boards on top of a piece of copper clad printed circuit board material and bond the circuit earth to it. Perfect shielding. By the way, I hate putting things in boxes as my metal and woodworking skills are 'ordinary'. :D Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Yesterday I tried OPA2134 in place of AD823 in CNC,now it sounds very nice in my system,better separation,bigger soundstage,good bass etc.Cart is Ortofon Super OM-10 @62k loading.Did anyone else try these OPAs in CNC?

Regards,
Sachin
 
Last edited:
Yesterday I tried OPA2134 in place of AD823 in CNC,now it sounds very nice in my system,better separation,bigger soundstage,good bass etc.Cart is Ortofon Super OM-10 @62k loading.Did anyone else try these OPAs in CNC?

Regards,
Sachin

The OPA2134 is the only chip I have had in mine. I have a set of the AD823 on hand but have not given them a run yet.
 
I have OPA2134AP X2 in the ESP P-06 and have had no reason to want to swap them out, it's the phono stage in the "Beyond PRAT---" thread with a passive controller into the power amp. Very similar to the prior poster's set-up, with E-waved Advent 2 .
 
I have few more boards available for this phonostage,let me know if anyone need them.

Regards,
Sachin
 
The owners of this site have asked that buy&selling be done in Bartertown only. If the participants in this thread do that, all is good and a great thread lives on. If you break the rules, the moderators here will enforce them and I really don't want to jeopardize this thread.

And we can do without any more comments on moderation - just doing what we have to do guys.

Thanks.
 
Hello All,

Thanks for the opportunity to join in on the project. The examples of great karma and creativity demonstrated in this thread definitely was a huge encouragement to start on this project.

I am trying to order parts from the CNC BOM, and curious on the development of opamp being used. It seems the current favorite is OPA2134AP on both sockets and would this be true when used with SSP equipped with OPA2134AP?

My goal is to reproduce transparent playback without coloration. Would it be better to go with pair of LME49720 or LME49990 to achieve my goal?

I will build two CNC & one HTMCPS to use on wiring modded Technics SL1200MKII & Rega Planar 3 with upgraded motor & wiring.
 
My suggestion is to read this thread and decide what you want to do based on those observations. Nobody can hear with your ears quite as well as you can.

Your best bet is to buy a few extra opamps and run some trials on your equipment, in your listening room.
.
 
Well, I went through the tech sheets of all the opamps and was definitely an interesting read. It seems LME49990 is the king for having the lowest harmonic distortion. The LME49720 comes in second in the THD profile. However, LME49720 seems to be designed for the phono stage application to comply RIAA, hence the data is provided with deviation value of ~0.3% around 100Hz and pretty much on the dot from 500Hz and above. At least from the spec sheets, I have my vote on pair of LME49720 or combo with LME49990 to gain musical details. I will have to take it to the listening audition with bunch of opamps in my hands, once my project completes. :)
 
Well, I went through the tech sheets of all the opamps and was definitely an interesting read. It seems LME49990 is the king for having the lowest harmonic distortion. The LME49720 comes in second in the THD profile. However, LME49720 seems to be designed for the phono stage application to comply RIAA, hence the data is provided with deviation value of ~0.3% around 100Hz and pretty much on the dot from 500Hz and above. At least from the spec sheets, I have my vote on pair of LME49720 or combo with LME49990 to gain musical details. I will have to take it to the listening audition with bunch of opamps in my hands, once my project completes. :)

The 49990's will have to go on adpaters as they are only SMD.

Try 49990 followed by a 2134 :tresbon:
 
The 49990's will have to go on adpaters as they are only SMD.

Try 49990 followed by a 2134 :tresbon:

Should these adapters work with 49990?

8_Socket.jpg


http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-8-pin-...950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c248d2de

No affiliation.
 
Back
Top Bottom