• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another ... what the heck are these?

Van_Isle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Any ideas?

Real oak veneer.
Width: 16 inches
Height: 25 inches
Depth: 12 inches

3 inch tweeter
4.5 inch mid-range
12 inch bass
 

Attachments

  • Jan30_1.jpg
    Jan30_1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Jan30_2.jpg
    Jan30_2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Jan30_3.jpg
    Jan30_3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 71
Register to hide this ad
Maybe a house brand speaker of some sorts? Homemade maybe? Those "Audio Level" emblems around the knobs remind me of the ones Radio Shack sold back in the day.
 
I was thinking homebuilt. The mid doesn't really match the "style" of the woofer or tweeter and there appears to be a fair bit of paint / goop around both of them.

.... actually it looks like that mid (and maybe the tweeter) may be held in with silicone ... and the woofer is rear-mounted?
 
Last edited:
I'm getting a "Pioneer" vibe off of that beige woofer cone, and I know they made some of those phenolic-ring tweeters, too.
 
Could these be some of those Pioneer made "Sonic" brand speakers that US servicemen brought back from Japan? Pioneer did indeed make clone style copies of the CTS phenolic ring tweeter and the woofers do look Pioneer. The mids look like generic low cost Japanese drivers and the use of silicone glue to hold them in seems a bit odd.
 
I'm getting a "Pioneer" vibe off of that beige woofer cone, and I know they made some of those phenolic-ring tweeters, too.

I tend to agree, but the ratshack controls and mastic suggest otherwise.

I'm coming around to the idea they maybe started life as a low-end Pioneer model, and they've been repaired or 'improved' later keeping only the original cabinet & woofer?
 
The cutout for the controls look a little uneven, like someone cut it out freehand with a sabre saw, so I'm guessing homemade or home modified. The cabinet carcasses look really nice!
 
Back
Top Bottom