• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Antenna Rod for 800-C

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
Anyone know offhand where I can get a ferrite rod to repair the antenna on a 800-C, other than getting raped on E-PREY??? Just need the rod.
 
Register to hide this ad
If you have a broken one, they can be glued... I have a few ferrite rod antennas I've saved... but my 800C has no AM antenna to compare to... got dimensions?
 
Didn't know they could be glued. I thought the glue would act as an insulator. the rod is approx 7-3/4" x3/8".
 
Aren't ferries are used as inductors, not conductors. I would think if it doesn't have any gaps it would be okay. Probably still not as good as a continuous piece though.

Glenn
 
Thanks Conrad.

http://www.amidoncorp.com/r61-050-750/

This one is close enough for length but 1/8" lager in diam. Due to the diam diff., I'll have to unwind the coils on the ferrite and rewind them on the new ferrite with the heavy paper insulator. Would I have to add length to meet the number of wire turns on the ferrite, or is the wire length set by frequency?

Or could I chuck it on my drill press, at the slowest speed, lightly and very carefully sand the diameter down to what the original is, so all I'd have to do is just warm up the old antenna ferrite with a heat gun and slide it out of the coils, and slide the new one in and rewax it with the coils in the same approximate locations?
 
I think for most inductors the the length of the wire figures only insofar as it's a number of turns of "x" gauge wire, over a certain core material (of known permeability), at a specified diameter.
 
I just got 3 SS Receivers (250-T, 400-T,700-T). Whichever becomes parts unit will donate it's antenna.
 
slide the coils until reception is best and audio sounds right .that's all i did when building from scratch .
if i remember rightly medium wave is more sensitive for adjustment
 
Hiya,

Wonder how different a 400 or 500 rod would be. Guess I could moose a few of mine onto a table and take some measurements.

Frannie
 
Most all FISHER Antenna's are generally the same except the console units. This antenna was on the 175-T and it had the same dimensions.

Both the 250-T and 400-T antenna's need to be rewound on the far end. The 700-T doesn't have an external antenna. I'm gonna have to get some really thin wire to rewind them. The fun never ends.

Larry
 
Hiya Larry,

Dumb me .. thought it was the other unit.

A picture would help. You know I have carcasses on top of carcasses down in the crap stack.

Frannie
 
This is the one on your 800-C. It's the same as the one I need a rod for. I'm seriously thinking of using the rod from the 400-T carcass as it's the same size. But keep looking in case I fail on it.

attachment.php
 
Hiya,

Yep same pot bellied thing as my 800C .. let me sift the carcasses some Larry ..

Frannie
 
Back
Top Bottom