• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any Fried model R fans??

Jim,
Is your German Shepard still with us ? Beautiful specimen !

My Avatar is Miss Heidi when she was a puppy.
Unfortunately she passed away suddenly in 2017.

My signature is Holly a rescue German Shepherd Carolina Dog mix.

I have not heard from laminarflow in a a few years.
I know he had a pair of Fried Studio 7 speakers.

The subwoofer you have I have seen photos of before.
They have been on ebay a few times.
A review of it I am sure you have seen.
fried-triplet-488.html

I have never seen the various R models crossovers.
I wish I could see a schematic.
I wonder if Fried used an RC contour network on the tweeter to shelve its low end.
He did this with C1, B2 and C2 models.
This causes another crossover slope on the tweeter.


Stereophile gave a nice review. of the R model.
fried-r4-loudspeaker
fried-r4-loudspeaker-equipment
fried-r4-loudspeaker-measurements
fried-r4-loudspeaker-specifications
I find it interesting how the renewer states
The computer-designed crossover network combines second- and third-order slopes and impedance and phase compensation for each driver.
This is because of the series crossover.
The Fried product literature states using a first order series crossover on the R4 and R5 models.

One of the AES papers state that the electrical interaction of 1st order series crossover is as complicated as 6th order active crossover.

Another R4 review.
fried-r-4-64.html

My knowledge of Fried speakers is with the various C and O models as well as the model E.
 
View attachment 1924177
This is the ultra-rare Fried Model R series 2 variant backplate badging "Made in England". It occurred when IMF and Fried became separate companies and parts were shared. I wrote extensively about this somewhere on AK, it may have been in the IMF owners thread, I forget where, but a search may find it. Fried models of course were assembled & ultimately made in USA. There are british IMF model R badged IMF on the front grill and backplate, which was part of that writing mentioned. These 2 variants were during that company transition period; I may have posted fotos of that IMF model R in that other thread long ago.
This may actually be the back plate from a Fried Model R/3...it seems to be in my files where all the R3 crossovers are. It's been so long ago, I forget. If so, sorry !
 
@JimPA
Sorry to hear about Heidi, the pics of both doggies are great.

Yes, that is the subwoofer in the HiFiClassic review, and I think it's the only description of it anywhere on the web. It will be awhile until I do that project. I think it says "The Subwoofer" (model name) on the back plate, or somehow it got known that way; I did see them advertised for sale that way. The sub was also sold separately, and the triplet package review mentions some run both a L & R sub (on each channel it says) with the satellites, making it a 4 piece set that way. It makes sense it is a line tunnel, and that front port is very thin horizontally, almost forgettable (I did).

The stereophile article & review on the R4 does show it is -15 db down at 20 Hz, which is not unusual for some speakers. Although they mention audible drop off below 40 Hz, I wonder if they respond well to a low bass EQ up a bit. It mentions down to 30 Hz in specs, but a great example of a similar measurement is with the stellar Yamaha NS-1000, also down -15 db at 20 Hz. That Yammy woofer was specially designed for live instrument playback in the studio + very heavy cabinets. Pumping an electric bass, bass drum or very low synth thru them in the final mix room needs a tough woofer. Those cabinets also were designed to either place against the wall or not - but they sound best 3 feet from all walls. As a closed, sealed box the Yammy specs are very conservative at 40 Hz only, but with lo end EQ, they respond very well, partly due to the construction & properties of that sturdy woofer. With a bit of lo end EQ, they dig well deeper than 40 Hz.

I'd bet the Fried R4 can dig deeper with EQ if the cabinet resonance is not a problem. The Fried & IMF line tunnels & transmission lines still have incredibly satisfying & clean, deep, realistic low bass.

PS - I recall you had some of the different models of very, very large Fried subwoofers in the past...those must be thunderous.
 
Last edited:
Jim, the only Fried Model R/II crossover rough sketched diagram I have..is from that #213 pdf we shared back a page on this thread, the top diagram above tweet mod. I think you're looking for more detail with an official printed circuit schematic, though.

Long ago, I contacted the new Fried owners after Bud passed, and they did not have any archived vintage data on schematics. Either the family may have kept it in storage (maybe proprietary for them only), or it may be lost, or the new owners don't want it let out. They were very eager however to try to sell me their new Frieds ! :idea: I'm glad they are now keeping the concept going thru Salk Sound, with the latest models being better than their early Salk offerings. They no longer mention Fried like they did early on in their website.
 
Today pulled the air cored inductors. Spent some time pouring over the wiring.
The tweeter wires purple + and white.
The mid wires are black + and green.
The woofer wires are orange + and blue.
The edge connector from left to right is orange, blue, green, white, purple, grey, pink. Pink is positive terminal and grey negative terminal.
The black wire goes from the mid to the switch on the rear which has a 10 Ohm resistor then to negative terminal. I was unable to read the value on the other resistor.
 

Attachments

  • 20026A31-4D2F-4F13-B9EB-C521D3C32B68.jpeg
    20026A31-4D2F-4F13-B9EB-C521D3C32B68.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 47
  • B772BED4-0D33-499D-A1F0-4F6F1A1D9B86.jpeg
    B772BED4-0D33-499D-A1F0-4F6F1A1D9B86.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 2FCA604E-C5D3-46B9-A78A-48B714F43247.jpeg
    2FCA604E-C5D3-46B9-A78A-48B714F43247.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Here is my update on Fried R speakers.
Fried R1 used a modified KEF Concerto crossover and crossed at 375Hz.
Fried R2 started from serial # R07185. These used a Fried produced crossover, crossing at 200Hz. My pair serial # R07225 follow the crossover plan exactly. mccarty350 pair are serial # R07426 and picture previously, in this thread, shows his recapped crossover with the Audyn caps. The only difference between his crossover and mine is that where I have 80uf = 33uf + 47uf, his pair had 83uf = 33uf + 50uf capacitor. The tweeter mod had not been carried out on his pair so that took later in 1974 or early 1975. The R3 were introduced in 1975 made in England weighed 55lbs and earlier in the thread we have a picture of the sticker. In the documents added is a Fried document stating the the R3 are introduced to the American market in 1975. So the only way to differentiate between a R1 & R2 is to look at the crossover. The Stereopus review of the R2 in 1975 states that the high frequency is soft. I think the HF mod was done to alleviate this. I have spent time listening to my modified pair and I find the all speakers integrate nicely, so I can recommend the HF mod. Also it is easily reversed, I placed the 3 10W resistors and the bypass cap in the wiring behind the tweeter so I didn't have to modify the printed circuit board.
 
@Robint

Your serial # summary and dates of manufacture are mistaken in post above on 8/24/20. (Sorry).

R/1 was still being made in 1975.

R/2 was made 1976 to May 1978.

R/3 was made mid 1978 to 1984.

As an avid fan of their series advancement, I saw each version released back at that time to support that data, which is verified in printings.

Then, R/4 was 1988 to 1993.

And lastly, R/5 was 1993 to 1995.

The gap is unclear between '84 and '88...likely selling off all R/3 while developing R/4.

The Fried document mentioned, states the Fried R series I (not R/III) was released in USA in 1975. As said before, we know the R/I was selling outside Philadelphia in 1974 (and IMF badged R likely earlier) with sales receipts as proof, along with those of us that heard them in shops during 1974. The IMF badged Model R/I series at the earliest of time selling up to & then alongside (for a few months) the introduction of the Fried badged R/I. On occasion, Bud misprinted some minor details in his papers as mentioned before. He was only off a couple months there about the 1975 USA official Fried R loudspeaker launch (badged Fried R series I), no biggie.

My original factory non-modded R/1 are serial number R07417 and were bought in 1974. They are without question Fried Model R series I (and not series II).

Serial numbers for the R series are unreliable for sequencing.

This data was posted previously by me in this thread, along with other data repeated in the post just before this one (modified KEF Concerto xover, crossover point of woofer either 375 Hz for R/I or 200 Hz for R/2, measuring those Hz to determine R/I or R/II along with visual difference of I & II xovers, and R/3 made in England). Apologies for all repetition again. Correction to post before this post was needed for clear historical information.
 
Last edited:
Also, to note, sometime ago, a set of Fried Model R were selling online with fotos and were described in the add & title as Fried Model R series II, but in fact they were indeed series I instead. That add was posted on a couple of sites.

The entire collection of the "Fried Newsletters" are well worth reading every issue; they started in 1961 and ended around 1994. Along with these, Bud also issued a few "letters" and "dealer's newsletters" during 1977. A bunch of us have read every one of all of these & they are rewarding to read. These were all part of the "lost" data we all mentioned that occurred when the IMF-Fried-TDL site lost many documents (all the Fried models, related products, fotos, reviews, newsletters, plus IMF & TDL too, etc). It was lucky to read everything before it was lost. But, if they ever reappear anywhere again online or if folks know anyone who saved those docs before the loss (I'm pretty sure 1 nice fellow may have them all), they are educational & fun to read !
 
I have the fried r/4 I can say the bass is incredible for the size but compared to the imf. The imf imo beat them in every way. Despite being older. I am considering selling them for 300 as I have gotten a pair of cs 3.5 and a pair of kef 104/2. But reluctant to sell because they’re pretty good very detailed fast sound with deep bass when they need to dig just like the imf are but the imf are better in every other way soundstage, imaging, bass, etc... Hard decision..
 
I bet it sounds incredible. My older original version had different drivers, etc. so it probably sounded radically different but I recall it had a very sweet timbre to it that i loved.
 
I can't seem to find any kind of sales data on fleabay or other sites for an early pair of model Rs. Any suggestions?
 
IMO, if there are no sales data to be viewed, assume the general price to be about the value of the drivers and maybe crossover parted out. The grille and cabinets would be considered difficult to sell due to shipping costs and relatively low demand unless you have a halfway decent local market for larger speakers. That would be the starting point for value. Fully assembled and working speakers actually may be valued a bit lower because of difficulty shipping entire speaker pairs. UShipping may be a viable way to ship without the packaging headaches but YMMV.
 
I own RIIs and sonically they are stiff competition for many modern designs. their startle factor when paired with competent electronics paired with the imaging and soundstaging nudge out a fair number of potential rivals.
 
IMO, if there are no sales data to be viewed, assume the general price to be about the value of the drivers and maybe crossover parted out. The grille and cabinets would be considered difficult to sell due to shipping costs and relatively low demand unless you have a halfway decent local market for larger speakers. That would be the starting point for value. Fully assembled and working speakers actually may be valued a bit lower because of difficulty shipping entire speaker pairs. UShipping may be a viable way to ship without the packaging headaches but YMMV.
I haven't seen you from an age Mech how have you been? Have you been out of audio for a while?
 
i have seen them sell for $500-800 depending on condition. my own RIIs cabinets aren't pristine and the grill cloth has totally deteriorated (i still have them and could easily put new cloth) but i never listen to them with grills as they are much more open without.
 
Fried model R fans??

i was out on fathers day cleaning out one of my gear stash's and figured since its fathers day the wife would go easy on me bringing home a few pairs I hadent listened to for a couple yrs....
Fried model R's are up next after the big Braun monitors.Any fans here of the Frieds??
I am using my second set of Fried R`s Phase 2.The 1st set were stolen from me.It took me 35 years to find another set.My new set has upgraded crossovers and sound great.I prefer these Frieds over my Paradigms,B&Ws,Infinity`s and Mission speakers.I am using a Sansui G-871 DB to power them.160wx2.They are the best speakers I ever heard as far as I am concerned.
 
I was fortunate to score a pair of R4's with issues for free last year. One midrange was missing and one woofer needed replacement. I found some midrange drivers from a pair of McIntosh speakers that were similar to the original drivers and replaced the woofers with a pair of CTS woofers I had on hand. These modified R4's sound great which is proof of their excellent crossover but I have too many speakers as it is to spend anymore time and money on them.
 
Back
Top Bottom