• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any Lafayette Collectors? Raise Your Hands!!

Thanks man!
Definitely not a collector of Lafayette audio equipment but do have a Lafayette Tuner LT-D10 in my small humble audio collection.

Nice little tuner at that too.:thumbsup:

Here is a picture of what a Lafayette LT-D10 looks like, both front and back.
View attachment 2534295 View attachment 2534296
That is a neat looking tuner. I plan on picking up a pair of Lafayettes in the next few weeks. Out of 5 different sets, it's my favorite.
 
Definitely not a collector of Lafayette audio equipment but do have a Lafayette Tuner LT-D10 in my small humble audio collection.
Nice little tuner at that too.:thumbsup:
The Lafayette LT-D10 tuner was introduced to match the Lafayette LA-74 and LA-84 4-channel amplifiers. Picked up one for $5 at a flea market; another was given to me because it didn't work. Front end transistor in the FM section was bad and easy to fix. I kept one and sold one. Can't remember which one. But it matches my Lafayette LA-74. Never cared for the dark blue on the meters and dial. Still gets some use but picked up a Sangean HD tuner several years ago and that gets a lot more use.
 
The Lafayette LT-D10 tuner was introduced to match the Lafayette LA-74 and LA-84 4-channel amplifiers. Picked up one for $5 at a flea market; another was given to me because it didn't work. Front end transistor in the FM section was bad and easy to fix. I kept one and sold one. Can't remember which one. But it matches my Lafayette LA-74. Never cared for the dark blue on the meters and dial. Still gets some use but picked up a Sangean HD tuner several years ago and that gets a lot more use.

That dark blue lighting along with the meters and dial are features on the Lafayette LT-D10 that attracted me to it! :biggrin:

To each their own. :dunno:

Thanks for the info on the matching components. :thumbsup:

Never realized that.

Lafayette LA-74 Amp.jpeg Lafayette LA-84 AMP.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Definitely not a collector of Lafayette audio equipment but do have a Lafayette Tuner LT-D10 in my small humble audio collection.

Nice little tuner at that too.:thumbsup:

Here is a picture of what a Lafayette LT-D10 looks like, both front and back.
View attachment 2534295 View attachment 2534296
Been on the lookout for one of those to go with a LA-84 I picked up a while ago.
Came along with it's box and all paperwork , was like brand new , didn't need anything but plug and play ;)
IMG_2007.JPG IMG_2012.JPG LA-84 6.jpg LA-84 8.jpg
LR-221 ,  LA-84 , Onkyo TX 2500 MKII island  5-2018.JPG
 
Probably one of the best and longest lasting stereo headphones that Lafayette sold was the Lafayette F-990. Mine still work great after roughly 50 years. Following slightly behind, but still great Lafayette headphones is the Lafayette F-767. Bought these roughly around 1965 and still use them today with my short wave and amateur radio equipment.

I have a pair I got for Christmas of 1969 when I was 17. I will be 70 in October and they still work. Some signs of their age but still fine.

There was a review of several different brands of headphones, at the time, and it was found that the F-990 had the lowest distortion of any of the models tested.

Doug
 
I have a pair I got for Christmas of 1969 when I was 17. I will be 70 in October and they still work. Some signs of their age but still fine.

There was a review of several different brands of headphones, at the time, and it was found that the F-990 had the lowest distortion of any of the models tested.

Doug
Likewise, my F-990 also shows some wear due to age, but electrically, they still perform quite well. I still have the original box which I use for storing some audio cables and connectors.
 
I had the box for mine for quite awhile but somewhere along the line it was lost. Very uncharacteristic for me to allow that to happen. I still remember the cute girl on the front with the short blond hairdo, however.

Doug
 
I had the box for mine for quite awhile but somewhere along the line it was lost. Very uncharacteristic for me to allow that to happen. I still remember the cute girl on the front with the short blond hairdo, however.

Doug
Hard to forget that box cover :jump:
Screen captured this off the web:
To keep this thread in tune, I believe the receiver in the background is a Lafayette LR-1500T

Laf-F990box_cover.jpg
 
Very new here. Looking for some help with a Lafayette LR-2500. Specifically any schematic or manuals.
The LR-2500 wasn't a bad receiver at all. But, it was only around for less then a year and replaced by the LR-3500.
We never created a service manual for it but the operating manual does have some service-related info, along with the schematic, in it.

Laf-LR2500.jpg
 
Wow that was fast thanks so much. Sadly the seller flaked out and backed our of the deal. To think last week I knew nothing Of lafayette and now Im gutted Im not getting this what seems like a rare piece. What are your thoughts on the 5555 the 1500ta or the 1000ta?
 
Also if you take the s
Wood grain sides and top off is the chassis still the same width or is is shorter. Im rehabbing ans upgrading a 1959 zenith console
 
Wow that was fast thanks so much. Sadly the seller flaked out and backed our of the deal. To think last week I knew nothing Of lafayette and now Im gutted Im not getting this what seems like a rare piece. What are your thoughts on the 5555 the 1500ta or the 1000ta?
Of these three, I like the LR-5555. Had one for years before I moved it on. The flywheel tuning is fantastic. One good spin and you can go from one end of the dial to the other end. Reliability was better then the other two models mentioned. Overall, a lot of good points.

The LR-1500T or TA (can't remember which) was rated by Consumer's magazine two years in a row as a "best buy". The LR-1000TA shares a lot of circuit design similarities with the LR-1000TA. Also, there was the LR-1000T, LR-1000TA, and the LR-1000B. I did most of the NJ service for Lafayette for a number of years, and the LR-1000B seemed to be less prone to needing service (maybe I was lucky).

The LR-1500T/TA and LR-1000T/TA used paper phonetic printed wiring boards. If you applied too much heat when soldering a component to one of these boards, especially after 50 plus years, you can easily lift the printed wiring off the board. With these particular models, exact semiconductor replacements, if needed, can be a problem. I probably have the largest collector of NOS Lafayette parts that still exists today, but have been working down the inventory for the last 40 years.

Laf_LR1000T.jpg Laf-LR-1500TA.jpg Laf-LR1000B-1.jpg Laf-LR5555.jpg
 
Working arrangement but, in reality, LA-975 was designed mainly as the back two amplifier channels for a 4-channel system. Lots of stuff in the box and the back panel that aren't needed for a good quality 2 channel system. But obviously, it can work as an amplifier for a plain two channel system.

The Lafayette LT-725, 725A, and 725B tuners were good tuners. We sold a lot of them. If you're were lucky enough to get the original LT-725 tuner, that had a SCA button on it to receive those broadcasts. Some company (maybe RDS, don't really remember) threatened to take Lafayette to court for supplying equipment to receive SCA broadcasts. SCA was a "pay to listen" sub carrier broadcast. So, Lafayette removed the circuitry and references, and the LT-725A was born. You will notice on the LT-725 ad posted below, 2nd push button from the right labeled SCA, there is no mention of this feature or button in the ad text. Maybe, LT-725 marketing people knew they were threading on thin ice.

Laf-LA975.jpgLaf-LT-725.jpg
 
Working arrangement but, in reality, LA-975 was designed mainly as the back two amplifier channels for a 4-channel system. Lots of stuff in the box and the back panel that aren't needed for a good quality 2 channel system. But obviously, it can work as an amplifier for a plain two channel system.

The Lafayette LT-725, 725A, and 725B tuners were good tuners. We sold a lot of them. If you're were lucky enough to get the original LT-725 tuner, that had a SCA button on it to receive those broadcasts. Some company (maybe RDS, don't really remember) threatened to take Lafayette to court for supplying equipment to receive SCA broadcasts. SCA was a "pay to listen" sub carrier broadcast. So, Lafayette removed the circuitry and references, and the LT-725A was born. You will notice on the LT-725 ad posted below, 2nd push button from the right labeled SCA, there is no mention of this feature or button in the ad text. Maybe, LT-725 marketing people knew they were threading on thin ice.

View attachment 2803696View attachment 2803726

Purchased new, rocked many a party, my oldest son now uses it with the Cantons pictured, a very capable system indeed even 5 decades later.

"The LA-975 can also be operated as a high quality independent 2-channel stereo amplifier."

This has been it's function for almost 50yrs, a job it does very well with a sweet sound that just draws you into the music, it's also nice it has all those other features if wanted.


Screenshot_20230218-221044.png
 
Last edited:
862E23F2-9F45-4820-A983-60799135658F.jpeg
My Stereo-10. I love it! Help me on my recap if you please! Open to any input. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lafayette-stereo-10-recap.1022787/
im trying to add this pointless but beautiful piece to the collection right now too. It would make a gorgeous base for the Stereo-10. Plus it can get the weather bands and some some other random interesting stuff, I can probably run that from phone out on the front if it could handle it. That would be cool. The Phono input on my Stereo-10 is open.

330227130_898005111431714_6126485460780077743_n.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom