• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any of you have trouble aligning a cartridge?

thared33

Active Member
The cartridge I have is very finicky. The alignment videos I'd seen have a stylus that's positioned where it almost pokes about at the very very front of the cartridge, but my stylus is sitting back quite a bit so it's harder to see where the stylus is landing on the protractor. When I move everything around and get what looks like a pretty even position on one of the places on the protractor, as soon as I tighten either screw the cartridge moves. I've actually found it better to leave it slightly untightened and just move the cartridge around with my fingers. If I tighten it down from there I'll lose my alignment. I can leave it untightened at that point, but I imagine it'll drift over time if I do.

Maybe I should just get a high quality cartridge that won't do that to me?
 
Register to hide this ad
The cartridge I have is very finicky. The alignment videos I'd seen have a stylus that's positioned where it almost pokes about at the very very front of the cartridge, but my stylus is sitting back quite a bit so it's harder to see where the stylus is landing on the protractor. When I move everything around and get what looks like a pretty even position on one of the places on the protractor, as soon as I tighten either screw the cartridge moves. I've actually found it better to leave it slightly untightened and just move the cartridge around with my fingers. If I tighten it down from there I'll lose my alignment. I can leave it untightened at that point, but I imagine it'll drift over time if I do.

Maybe I should just get a high quality cartridge that won't do that to me?


Which turn table are you trying to align the cartridge on. :idea:

Some manufacturer have a simple method illustrated in their manual.
 
If you’re using a 2 point protractor, good luck! It’s all trial and error. I recommend an arc protractor. It’s much easier, especially given the obstacles you have.
 
I found the overhang gauge for my Micro Seiki DD33 on the auction site from Japan. For what it is, it was expensive...about the flimsiest piece of plastic I've encountered in recent memory. I was hoping the it would aid the alignment , but matched with the reproduction head shell, it was difficult to mount and difficult dismount, Still is part of the original; ....
 
Last edited:
Try this with a graphite tip off a mechanical pencil - it takes much of the guess work out of the parts you can't see

cXx7nXx.jpg
 
It's a Technics SL-Q2. I didn't see any instructions in the manual for it.
In the user manual, it shows the overhang in illustration 5-2 per the download from Vinyl Engine.

All you have to do after setting the overhang to 52mm is to make sure the cart is square in the headshell.
 
In the user manual, it shows the overhang in illustration 5-2 per the download from Vinyl Engine.

All you have to do after setting the overhang to 52mm is to make sure the cart is square in the headshell.

Which is even easier with the sliding design of the early model Technics headshells. Once the cartridge is installed square in the shell from underneath, the actual overhang is done with the screw above and the rotation doesn't change.
 
It puzzles me that some have such difficulty with cartridge alignment. The first time I used a stylus protractor was when I bought a DB Systems Protractor in the early 1980's. It took me roughly half an hour that first time. Nowadays it takes less than ten minutes. It takes me longer to mount and connect the cartridge (Rega arm).

Best directions I've ever seen for using a two point protractor. Thanks to Ralph124c41 on Vinylengine.

With a 2-point protractor, set the stylus on the crosshairs of the outer grid, and square the cartridge to it.

Move to the inner grid, stylus on crosshairs.

If the cartridge angles toward the middle of the record, move it forward a bit, and start over.

If the cartridge angles away from the middle of the record, move it back a bit, and start over.

When the cartridge sits squarely in both grids, stylus on crosshairs, you are done.

When you have used a protractor, do not then try to adjust the cartridge to any other "overhang."
 
Last edited:
Try this with a graphite tip off a mechanical pencil - it takes much of the guess work out of the parts you can't see

This is an extremely cool idea. I’ve never seen this trick before.

As far as having the cart slide around when tightening, yes it often does. Tiny plastic washers help reduce that for me but even without them just tightening very slowly and alternating sides will minimize this problem.
 
I added to my post with some very basic and simple directions.

I'll add; if you're using a free downloaded protractor from VE print it on card stock and laminate it with plastic film.

FWIW: I wear bifocals. Without them I'd be lost. I would gladly help anyone within a reasonable distance. I believe if the OP posted his location someone would offer to help.
 
I added to my post with some very basic and simple directions.

I'll add; if you're using a free downloaded protractor from VE print it on card stock and laminate it with plastic film.

FWIW: I wear bifocals. Without them I'd be lost. I would gladly help anyone within a reasonable distance. I believe if the OP posted his location someone would offer to help.

I hope you know I was just messing with you... I couldn't resist...
:D
 
Back
Top Bottom