• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any RCA Victor console experts here?

markshan

Sir Thrift a Lot
Today I picked up an RCA Victor VCR-13 stereo tube console ($10). I'll put up pics, etc. soon, but in the meantime I wondered if anyone had any info on dates of manufacture, specs, and what not. Google was no help at all. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
markshan. that's a model I've not heard of. I've got a SHF-5(1957mono) and a 3vf-405 from 63 out on loan. Mine uses the 177H amp.


1960 probably as it's in the 1961 Beitman's. Guessing here, but a SWAG for power would be about 8-10w rms at most. IHF Peak would probably be about 40-50 total.

Found it in the BEITMAN's 1961 catalog. Schematics for the RC1192 Tuner/RS179 Preamp/RS-177a amp start on page 140. This is the same setup in my '62 3VF405. Good sounding setup for a 6bq5 amp. It is bass heavy (boomy) tho on mine. Easy to recap.

TUNER
attachment.php


RS-177A Amp and RS179 Preamp. This is the amp specified.
attachment.php



Larry
 
Last edited:
Larry, thanks so much for all of the info. I haven't heard of Beitman's. I really appreciate the effort.
 
Sure enough, the amp is stamped RS-177A. Larry knows his stuff.

Perhaps a mod can rename this thread "RCA Victor VCR-13 console". This may be the most documentation that exists on this model.
 
I'm hoping to use the pre and power amps in a project, as the cabinet is (IMHO) ugly and the amps look like they will stand alone nicely. I certainly will not be putting the vinyl grinder into service. I'm uncertain about the tuner. Can anyone tell me if it sounds good in stereo?
 
It has one of those buttons that sticks up at 10 1/2" or so to sense the record size. You know, the ones which caused the circle of groove damage in that same spot on about 20% of all used records you look at. It's a non-starter for me.
 
The reason those records have that groove is the button sticks due to gummed up mechanisms. It's supposed to retract after cycling. If it doesn't then the mechanicals need cleaning and lube.
 
Your console has the RS-177 series amp. Lot's of threads on AK regarding those, plus it looks like the preamp is separate from the tuner...easier to make into a standalone pre and power amp system. You could always use a better tuner...
 
A good degree of the quality of the tuner is if they used tubes in the demultiplexer or transistors and germanium diodes. If there are tubes, the whole unit may need realignment- which will make a world of difference in sound, but you need to make sure the tubes all test strong. If it is solid state, the alignment should be okay for demultiplexing- the only weak point is the germaniums. If they get too leaky, the tuner gets noisy. Some units in that era used both. tubes and Germanium diodes. In any case, simply tweeking the trimmers on the tuning gang should perk up the performance very well. The tuner might look a little odd in it's own case, but it was a common layout for the era. I would not abandon the tuner just yet.
 
That's what I thought too, but I am really very novice at this. I won't even attempt any mods (unless talked through step by step). My plan is to just change caps with like values and built housings.
 
No! The small box with the 6CG7's is the RS-179 pre-amp, separate from the tuner. I mentioned this in my earlier post. It is also in Larry's posted schematics. It is not an MPX unit.
 
Back
Top Bottom