• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any way to boost power output of vintage quad receiver?

OK...


musichal... I keep clicking on the link but it's going nowhere. What is that product called so that I can look it up?

So, I guess all of this is academic now. My current 8 ohm speakers probably are close enough in audio quality to the 4 ohm varieties I was looking at. I keep wondering if I'm missing anything in terms of audio quality with my current setup. Sure I could spend $500/1000 on a pair of speakers but would I get an equivalent improvement in sound quality over my $200 pair of speakers? My gut tells me no. I've posted a question about this elsewhere but the replies indicate that I wouldn't. Maybe my system is as good as it's gonna get unless I move up 10X in price. Oh well...

Thanks again.

Odd. The link works for me. Anyway, go to MCM electronics for the one I found first in a search for "speaker to line level converter."
 
Last edited:
musichal... thanks. Went to the site itself... slow loading (??) and then did the search and found it (though again. S L O W loading. Seems simple enough. If I do anything it might be that.

Thanks!!
 
musichal... thanks. Went to the site itself... slow loading (??) and then did the search and found it (though again. S L O W loading. Seems simple enough. If I do anything it might be that.

Thanks!!

You're welcome. Keep the jazz cat smilin'.
 
skizo... you have the 9001 and you run it with just the Hafler circuit for the rears? Seems you're missing a lot of the quad effect with that. I have a 5500QRX and my Sanyo blows it away in terms of quad separation front to back and left to right. So my NOS 5500 is now in moth balls.

I run an outboard tube amp on the front channels, but still use the 9001's rear amps to drive the rear channels. The rear speaker outputs go to a Dynaco Quadraptor, which is in turn hooked to a pair of Gecko 1114 flat panels directly to the sides of the main seating position, and a pair of Bose 161's mounted behind and up towards the ceiling. The Dynaco allows me to balance those, only instead of front to rear, top to bottom for a good blend. There's also a set of Bose 201's about 10 feet back of this array that are hooked to "B" rear for additional depth as needed. I can adjust those for a good blend using the front/rear balance on the 9001 as I don't need that for the front channel amp in the main room - that pulls signal from a tape loop which is unaffected by the 9001's balance controls.

Oh. I've also got a L+R center channel driven with a mono tube amp that adds a lot to the mix. That's tapped from a Carver H9AV holograph.

(I did mention I layer holography over the quad effects, didn't I?) <G>

It may sound complicated, but it's not, really. Definitely unconventional though.

Also worth repeating, I use the rears more for ambiance than anything. Perfect for me is when I don't really notice the rears at all ... until I turn them off and the music dies. Moral there is, do what works for you.

** Not to worry - the front amps aren't wasted. I use those to drive a couple other rooms in stereo.
 
Last edited:
Tape loops are full-tilt line level with no volume control. Won't work for driving an amplifier. They are for hooking up tape decks and/or signal processors---like equalizers.
 
Unless of course your amp has volume controls ... Better yet, two, so you can adjust the balance.

tungsol-kt120s-002.jpg


(I do seem to remember mentioning that a loop will normally bypass the receiver's controls?)

In my case, tone is handled via external EQ and PEQ, as well as DSP ...

(Doncha love it when they speak alphabet?) <G>

Way more versatile and flexible than any receiver pre anyway.

I knew I would learn what they are really for if I read enough on AK!
Some joker tried to tell me they were for hooking up equalizers.

Thanks, Bro!

Happy to be of service ... truth be told, tape loops are made to hook up a LOT of stuff ... even all at the same time! Had to draw me a map to keep track of what all and where on my system ...

Stereo-Block-Diagram-2013.jpg
 
Last edited:
Happy to be of service ... truth be told, tape loops are made to hook up a LOT of stuff ... even all at the same time! Had to draw me a map to keep track of what all and where on my system ...
What a useful product. And one of the items is actually a tape deck.

Wish I had a dbx 200 back when my SAE pre was in my main system. It was woefully short on inputs.
 
I'm restarting this thread a bit as I continue to try and increase the power of my vintage quad receiver...

In looking at the speaker input line level converter here http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/60-10380 .

But I am unable to figure out how/where this goes. Posts #18 & 19 say this will work... but I don't know where to put it in the system.

Any help/links/diagrams would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
And I wanted to let you know that my Sanyo quad unit has a 4-channel "Recorder Out" set of RCA jacks on the back. Can those be used?
 
I recommend the reverse approach. Get much more efficient speakers. How about 4 Klipsch Heresies? 4 Dynaco A 25 speakers would be great for your Sanyo, and very easy to drive.

I'm familiar with that Sanyo quad receiver. This is the cleanest, best, most elegant solution. ^^^^^
 
I'm familiar with that Sanyo quad receiver. This is the cleanest, best, most elegant solution. ^^^^^

I just don't have the room/space for Heresys. I run two pairs of Polk bookshelf speakers (TSi200s and Monitor 40s) and a Polk sub in my quad system.

But I get the idea of using easy-to-drive speakers... 92-96 dB efficiencies. I just really didn't want to buy new speakers... or even used speakers to replace what I have.
 
You connect the wires to the speaker outputs and connect the external amp(s) to the RCA connectors.

...and since I have a quad system, I will need two of the converters? Will I need to get TWO power amps... or can I just use the amp in the Sanyo to drive one of the pairs of speakers?

Yeah... maybe dumb questions... I'm much more informed by pictures and diagrams... or paint by number instructions.

Here's one diagram I found... but again, I've got a quad system:
http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20080820123300/Manuals/543/543ADP12.PDF
 
One more thing. I worked on all these quad receivers, pretty much every one made, when they were new and most of them have very underdesigned output stages. They will not take any abuse and will NOT drive a four Ohm load. They will blow the output stage. Fair warning. If you are looking for more volume, either use a bigger amp or get more efficient 8 Ohm speakers, but do not use 4 Ohm speakers. The ONLY quad receivers I have ever seen with any decent power are Marantz 4300 and 4400.
 
I recommend the reverse approach. Get much more efficient speakers. How about 4 Klipsch Heresies? 4 Dynaco A 25 speakers would be great for your Sanyo, and very easy to drive.

Yo Kent... I checked and the A25s have the same efficiency as my Polk speakers that I currently have with my quad system... 89dB.

Seems like horn-loaded speakers are about the only ones that might work.
 
I am curious: Is there a way to increase the RMS output wattage per channel of my receiver... without changing receivers?

If the obvious answer is NO... then stop reading. If "maybe," the reason I'm asking is below.

I'm considering upgrading the 4 speakers in my quad system. But the upgrades I am looking at are all rated at 4 ohms and are 2-4 dB less efficient. My current speakers are 8 ohms, 89dB efficiency.


Thanks.


Well..., sort of.

http://www.parts-express.com/axxess...eaker-to-line-level-output-converter--266-003
 
Tape loops are full-tilt line level with no volume control. Won't work for driving an amplifier. They are for hooking up tape decks and/or signal processors---like equalizers.

Indeed.

That said, they can be used if one can tolerate the resulting kludge; most of which has been explained by SKiZO.

They're generally poor substitutes for pre outs as they often have relatively high output impedance. Fortunately, many amps have high enough input impedance that the sound isn't f-ed up too badly.
 
Back
Top Bottom