• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Anybody out for Record Store Day?

Went to Flat Black and Circular in East Lansing. Walked out with 14 records, fugazi, minor threat, mastadon, Melvin's etc. No special rsd editions. Just dig talking to other music people and getting out of the damn house.
 
Went to Flat Black and Circular in East Lansing. Walked out with 14 records, fugazi, minor threat, mastadon, Melvin's etc. No special rsd editions. Just dig talking to other music people and getting out of the damn house.

Did I hear Mastodon?!?!!
 
There is a thread in Barter Town (for subscribers), where AKers buy and sell RSD releases for others without marking them up, as opposed to flippers on eBay. You list what you can't find, and others snag a copy for you. In the past, I've bought what I could not find locally, and grabbed several records for others.
 
I went to both participating stores in my area but didn't find anything special releases that interested me. There were only two releases I was interested in.
1. The sit down performances by Elvis for the 68 tv special. Neither store ordered it.
2. The Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison deluxe set. There was one copy at one store. I was interested but, not $85 worth of interest.

I did pick up a couple of gems from sidewalk vendors though and free dose of attitude from one store. All in all, a fun day out.
 
I think I'm going to go back out tomorrow and pick through the leavings, see if there's anything left of interest.
 
Weirdsville records in Mt Clemens MI we were actually waiting to see tantric saving able and puddle of mud....we had an hour to kill so I stopped in the record store.... only thing that cought my eye was an Iron Maiden record.15244140886301662074419.jpg
 
I went to the really great local store The Nevermind Shop in Upton, Massachusetts, and got a killer group of records (in my opinion) along with an old but still functional Discwasher/Zerostat kit. The entire bundle cost me $60, which would have been like 1 and a half of those RSD records:
 

Attachments

  • 20180421_143855.jpg
    20180421_143855.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 19
20180421_111618.jpg

All from Joe's Albums in Worcester, MA...told SWMBO I was just looking for Dave Van Ronk...:(

Lost control, which was probably not a bad thing, as the DVR-LP is not recorded very well. I am about to sit down with a nice Guiness Extra Stout and let Bert Jansch and a new stylus on my ELAC 344 envelope me... :)
 
Last edited:
Nope. I stopped by Street Corner Tuesday after taking my wife to the airport and bought a few classical LPs. I checked the list and didn't see anything must have that I would play three times or be bowled over by.

I'll stop by another one on the way home from work tomorrow just to flip through, but since I've bought like 4 new releases in the last 20 years, I'll probably leave empty handed....
 
Cadillac, is that the same Gene Clark that was originally in The Byrds? I was actually looking for that one, though had I seen it was a 45 probably would not have picked it up...
 
I went to both participating stores in my area but didn't find anything special releases that interested me. There were only two releases I was interested in.
1. The sit down performances by Elvis for the 68 tv special. Neither store ordered it.
2. The Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison deluxe set. There was one copy at one store. I was interested but, not $85 worth of interest.

Picked up an original JC-FP albums couple days ago for $1, plus 4 other JC records. And the Elvis 68 TV special for $3
 
I went to the local RS, did not buy anything. Got a couple out of the free bin. Then went to the Animal Shelter TS and picked up 11 albums, including 2 mint Whitney Hustons, for $5.50
 
I made up for all of ya'll, then. I haven't had a chance to do rSD since 2009 and I made up for lost time. It was magical and awesome and I can't wait to do it again next year. I know I talked to one of you at Underdog in Winston; you gave it away when you said you had seen the thread about the thrift store records nobody wants.
 
I hadn't planned on hitting any stores but there is a very small record shop a couple of blocks from my work and I had some free time soooo.....

At first I didn't see anything I was interested in then on the wall they had a copy of the Wynton Marsalis septet featuring Willie Nelson picture disk. I'm not normally a picture disk kinda guy but went ahead and picked it up. HOLY COW! this record sounds superb! Great sounding recording , too bad it is only a single.

oICLw2e.jpg


Then I noticed this gem, Tank and the Bangas is a local group who recently won the tiny desk series on NPR. I guess they hid free autographed sleeves (with purchase of album) in with the records! I thought that was pretty cool! I collect a lot of local New Orleans music so I was pleased to find this. I cant find any information online about these, how many they signed etc so I'd imagine it is pretty rare.

EZv7pYM.jpg


lAxXoYX.jpg


It wasn't a huge haul but I'm pleased with my purchases!
 
What I don't understand about RSD... Hey, it's great to see all these 'limited edition' releases for RSD...but why stop there? Why NOT issue enough to meet demand, or at least last longer than one day? Sure, the die hards will still all go stand in line to be the FIRST to get one...but it would be nice if I could get a copy over the course of a couple weeks after RSD. I think the labels miss a lot of opportunity for profit and create unhealthy opportunities that only benefit Ebay flippers instead.
 
No thanks.

I think I went only the first year and got really turned off by the crowd and sheer madness inside the store. Plus, I have developed a certain dislike in waiting outside an establishment to have some employee give me the permission to enter and buy something from them and then wait to give them my money. So no, no thanks.

I did go by today, store was empty, looked at some used stuff, picked up some used classical records and this caught my eye:


61H5-rcW5hL._SL1000_.jpg


So, I bought it.
 
Back
Top Bottom