• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone doing a garden?

Garden

Corn is up, as are the several squash varieties the wife likes. Spinach will provide a meal in another week or so.
Cukes are up, onions looking good too.
Strawberries are lagging behind....which sucks as I love waffles with strawberries.:banana:
 
Wrapping those buckets in some kind of insulation may help them out too.
And you might mulch the top to conserve moisture if you haven't already.
.....HatchetJack, those are good thoughts....I especially like the suggestion of mulch on top, a lot....the sun, or drying hot air, would have to dry out the mulch to get to the potting mixture's moistness....every bucket has at least 1 and 1/2 inches of room on top....so let it be written.....

.....I planted two Big Bertha bell-pepper plants three days ago in a fifth bucket, picture soon....they've grown an inch or two so far in the sun, but no explosions yet....someone told me they will be a bush, and not require support....how many of you Guys have planted bell pepper plants?....any patio bucket reports on ANY vegetables?.....
 
.....the Big Bertha bell pepper twins.....

014-1.jpg
 
Peppers often fall over if they have a big crop of big peppers. Big as in Bertha. I would at least plan for a stake in the middle.
 
Corn is up, as are the several squash varieties the wife likes. Spinach will provide a meal in another week or so.
Cukes are up, onions looking good too.
Strawberries are lagging behind....which sucks as I love waffles with strawberries.:banana:
.....Bravo, Moderator Nosirrah....we'll hope for some pictures of your endeavors.....
 
Well, I finally got everything in, I had a hard time finding stem tomatoes this year, so I settled for the cherry ones. The Lovely Blanche got all her flowers and now we have a couple of dozen planters on the balcony.
garden2009.jpg


I took two of my Cayennes in last year because they were still producing after it got cold. They kept going all winter and now I have them and a few new ones out. The year old ones are the ones on the right and left below.
P1010073.jpg
 
Zucchini

The better half loves the zucchini's, green or yellow, especially lightly battered and fried.
When I grow them especially the early harvest, sometimes the bloom rots and ruins the squash.
Why?
 
.....Great Pictures, BogFrame, but I'm confused....I don't see a Weber charcoaler out on that balcony.....
 
.....my tomato plants are now one month old, and have had 5-6 days of sun....the closest bucket in the picture, used to be Big Boy plants which were removed for Bradley plants....the transplanted Bradley's didn't grow "any" for about a week, and since, have gained in heighth but have much less foilage, won't make that mistake again....the plants are wet in the picture....it's been raining easy all day here with dark skies, and had dark skies and two hours of rain yesterday....used the pop-up flash, and forgot I had it set on max full-power....little white, but it'll have to do, I ain't goin' back out in the rain....we're about to be swimming here in central Arkansas.....
Fish.gif
Fish.gif
Fish.gif

001-2.jpg

Apple.gif
 
.....Great Pictures, BogFrame, but I'm confused....I don't see a Weber charcoaler out on that balcony.....

Nor will you. One of the two things that suck about this building is that we aren't allowed to grill on the balcony, only in the parking lot in the back. The other thing is we're a half block from the elevated subway line, and if the windows are open, those trains can get a tad loud.
 
The other thing is we're a half block from the elevated subway line, and if the windows are open, those trains can get a tad loud.
.....Bog, I know this is a gardening thread, but I'd sure like to see a couple of shots of that elevated subway by your place....we're all letting our bushes and vines grow anyway, with no vegetables to show yet....
 
.....Bog, I know this is a gardening thread, but I'd sure like to see a couple of shots of that elevated subway by your place....we're all letting our bushes and vines grow anyway, with no vegetables to show yet....

Here's a shot of me and Blanche on top of it. Maybe later today I'll get a shot from street level.

statenisland002.jpg
 
Jed Clampett's Greenhouse

just getting started with some tomato plants, garlic and pole beans,


our green house, hop vines overtaking our windmill to the right back of photo

attachment.php


inside pic, tomato plants, three different types

attachment.php


here are some of our hens, got 9 of them, getting about 5 to 7 eggs a day

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • P5260142.jpg
    P5260142.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 60
  • P5260144.jpg
    P5260144.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 59
  • P5260141.jpg
    P5260141.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 60
Here's a shot of me and Blanche on top of it. Maybe later today I'll get a shot from street level.

statenisland002.jpg
.....BogFrame, this is a Great shot....both of you look very spiffy, and the Lovely Blanche is lovely indeed....I wish more AK members would post recent shots of themselves....I promise to do so.....

.....how cool, Bog, you can walk 50 yards and catch a subway train from Brooklyn to anywhere in New York City....there's you a huge hunk of nostalgia from past days....more shots of the station would be great.....
 
.....marvelous setup, Tuco....you're on top of the situation with that greenhouse....I'm also a bit envious of your egg situation....you get those dark yellows which are FULL of rich flavor.....
 
.....Tuco, I had a small herd of chickens not too long ago, and a local friend sold me a special Spanish rooster for only 150 bucks.....

roosters.jpg
 
What's with the price of potted plants?

Everything seems to be way more expensive this year. I used to be able to buy a 4-pack of basil plants for a couple bucks, probably locally grown. Now, every store has these fancy 3" pots (which they call a 'pint', one wonders on what planet the pint was measured). Each pot has a huge fancy plastic tag and they want $3.99 for ONE basil plant. $2.99 for a just-sprouted pot of melon plants. $12.95 for a rhubarb plant. Come on people! Is it just here or is this happening everywhere?
 
Back
Top Bottom