markbark12
New Member
Tom I believe you, Lets for get the whole thing! and yes I am also enjoying Pete's posts!


snip....
But such issues were not a problem at the time of the Olson-Preston and Villchur patents; each patent is clearly readable and well defined in scope and teaching.
So the core issue was clear: could one skilled in the art state that the Olson and Preston patent was sufficient to build an acoustic suspension speaker if the teaching was followed. I consequently believe that Pete's analysis is correct and accurate.
By way of explaining why Olson may not have suggested a bookshelf speaker I think it would be safe to speculate that RCA's core business at that time was still radios, so it would make sense to improve the sound of a radio, not trying to sell a stand-alone speaker for HiFi into a market that did not yet exist. Here's a speculative argument with a bit of "and then a miracle occurs" handwaving in the middle of the diagram.
We must remember that the Olson and Preston patent was applied for in 1944. Home loudspeakers did not truly exist those days. Neither did home audio. Even the infinite baffle Bozaks, a speaker against which Villchur intended to compete, were not yet on the market. The state of the art was a radio with a gramophone pickup to play records. The acoustical labyrinth (transmission line) speaker invented by Benjamin Olney and patented by Stromberg-Carlson, applied for in 1934 with granted in 1936. But that, too, was used in radios. Wonderful radios, true, but radios nonetheless. I doubt anyone had the vision to forsee the sorts of home ownership which became common a decade later.
So it is understandable that neither Olson and Preston, the RCA patent attorneys, or any RCA manager missed the opportunity for a bookshelf speaker. It made no sense at that time to even ask that question, and, as Wittgenstein would say, nobody yet had the vocabulary to formulate such a question.
I am of the opinion that the judges decision was correct but Villchur would never have the means to fight a major corporation like RCA.
If Vilchur had chosen to fight the case, he wouldn't have done anywhere near as well.
I'm not a lawyer but as I understand it there are, broadly, two types of patents a standard (is standard the correct term?) and something called a utility patent.
Let me just swing over to fleabay and see what AR3A speakers are going for. HOLY CRAP. 1500-2500.
And that's why I jumped on a CL ad for a pair of AR58S speakers for $120. A modern AR3a for less than 10% of the value of the 3's. I'll take that all day long.![]()
Armstrong may have sued in a different time. place etc., but his example was clearly on Vilchur's mind.
The idea that an individual can prevail in court over a large corporation is very appealling, but it is well known that having a patent is not the same thing as being able to enforce it.