• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR TA single motor build; following the legends

audi0n00b

Active Member
I decided to start my own build/restore thread so as not to clog others with my questions. I purchased this about a year ago and it was my main table for most of that time. According to the serial and model numbers it’s a TA, but does not have the two motors so I believe this is an AR upgraded table.

After stalking the AR owners thread and seeing some great looking tables I’ve decided to restore mine. My plan is to have the arm fully rebuilt, add RCA jacks, replace chassis springs, strip and refinish the top plate and whatever else comes up.

Here are some before pics.
 

Attachments

  • F3C5527A-B49C-4DB0-B251-730C31A6CC7C.jpeg
    F3C5527A-B49C-4DB0-B251-730C31A6CC7C.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 61AAC465-B971-4ECC-B67C-4C8CADA4A6DB.jpeg
    61AAC465-B971-4ECC-B67C-4C8CADA4A6DB.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 9BD9991F-A0E5-496F-B4F4-9DCAF5F72D98.jpeg
    9BD9991F-A0E5-496F-B4F4-9DCAF5F72D98.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 100
  • E7C0793B-E825-45DE-9F38-67327E9373D6.jpeg
    E7C0793B-E825-45DE-9F38-67327E9373D6.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 95
  • AF7FD81D-9155-449A-88E9-261D167E95E0.jpeg
    AF7FD81D-9155-449A-88E9-261D167E95E0.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I’ve gotten as far as tearing it apart.
 

Attachments

  • F0CA13BE-5350-4AEA-8160-40DE26FD5738.jpeg
    F0CA13BE-5350-4AEA-8160-40DE26FD5738.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 81
  • 07B47BE8-37B6-4BF1-9938-976E60675899.jpeg
    07B47BE8-37B6-4BF1-9938-976E60675899.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 70396443-4E39-4A61-BC29-3B7F1A3D8306.jpeg
    70396443-4E39-4A61-BC29-3B7F1A3D8306.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 6153CAB5-A271-45A6-A108-9B018A76A8E5.jpeg
    6153CAB5-A271-45A6-A108-9B018A76A8E5.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 77
  • FAD0C60D-8BE3-4286-AC11-B21A617DAD94.jpeg
    FAD0C60D-8BE3-4286-AC11-B21A617DAD94.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 5041C4CB-D3E7-4762-800A-BEC86ACE0EBB.jpeg
    5041C4CB-D3E7-4762-800A-BEC86ACE0EBB.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 76
  • E2096A90-943E-4E94-B068-AC6EDAEDCE48.jpeg
    E2096A90-943E-4E94-B068-AC6EDAEDCE48.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 85
  • BF7BDCEA-7551-4A24-9828-488C425C8FF6.jpeg
    BF7BDCEA-7551-4A24-9828-488C425C8FF6.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 87
Love it. There is a glorious simplicity in these turntables that makes them enticing. Many available, attractive pricing, parts available, plenty of info here and other places on the web, tweakable, what's not to like?

Please document your work and include copious photos, for many of us will at some point acquire an AR for restoration and listening.
 
Am I to assume this is crud built on the platter bearing and not remnants of a seal or such?
 

Attachments

  • 964A2022-3E75-43D6-A3E2-56A6E1F3C9B2.jpeg
    964A2022-3E75-43D6-A3E2-56A6E1F3C9B2.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 45
Am I to assume this is crud built on the platter bearing and not remnants of a seal or such?

There was once a seal there. It’s not necessary, and that bit that’s left isn’t hurting anything. The rest of it was/is inside the bearing well. You’ll want to have cleaned that out already.
 
Here’s a shot of the top plate down to bare metal. It looks like there is some pitting, although I can’t feel it so I expect the primer to cover it. Is there a specific finish I need to achieve before I prime and paint? I intend to use a gloss metallic finish.

Anyone know where I can source the rubber grommet used at the tonearm wire entry point. This didn’t survive the process.
 

Attachments

  • 13236CBC-9E3A-4010-AB0D-E83EF271FFA8.jpeg
    13236CBC-9E3A-4010-AB0D-E83EF271FFA8.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 51
  • 54A9B1A9-8DAA-4F3A-9478-23FEEF66B668.jpeg
    54A9B1A9-8DAA-4F3A-9478-23FEEF66B668.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Here’s a shot of the top plate down to bare metal. It looks like there is some pitting, although I can’t feel it so I expect the primer to cover it. Is there a specific finish I need to achieve before I prime and paint?

Anyone know where I can source the rubber grommet used at the tonearm wire entry point. This didn’t survive the process.

Any hardware store should suffice, or Grainger if you want to make sure they have it and buy 50 of them. Mine is lined with Scotch tape, or was. I don't think it survived my initial setup. I should get that squared away.
 
Here’s a shot of the top plate down to bare metal. It looks like there is some pitting, although I can’t feel it so I expect the primer to cover it. Is there a specific finish I need to achieve before I prime and paint? I intend to use a gloss metallic finish.

Anyone know where I can source the rubber grommet used at the tonearm wire entry point. This didn’t survive the process.


just yer basic 1/8" grommet.
 
Here’s a shot of the top plate down to bare metal. It looks like there is some pitting, although I can’t feel it so I expect the primer to cover it. Is there a specific finish I need to achieve before I prime and paint? I intend to use a gloss metallic finish.

Anyone know where I can source the rubber grommet used at the tonearm wire entry point. This didn’t survive the process.

I would use some Rustoleum self etching primer for the bare metal. You could follow up with a high build primer such as a sandable filler primer to fill any pits. Im currently repainting my metal turntable plinth using the above products.
 
I've got an AR TA, I love it, great table!
At the hardware store, look in the lamp wiring section for that rubber grommet, that's where I found mine.
When you clean out the bearing wells, flip the delrin discs over so you have a smooth surface.
The arm will have a ball bearing, the platter is only as shone.
Good luck and have fun.
 
When you clean out the bearing wells, flip the delrin discs over so you have a smooth surface.
I’ve seen many mention the Delrin discs but I honestly don’t see any in my unit. Where is this supposed to be? Is that what’s in the bottom of the well? If so, how do I get it out?

The first pic is the arm well, the second the platter. I do see a ring of black crud in the platter well which I assume is the broken down ring from the top of the well. Based on previous posts I’ve seen mentioned to clean with Brakleen. Before I attempt this can someone confirm?
 

Attachments

  • 4554D97E-958D-44F0-8FB4-46D1084F5D47.jpeg
    4554D97E-958D-44F0-8FB4-46D1084F5D47.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 58
  • B72E4591-EE4D-4DBB-A37B-C5340A5F9130.jpeg
    B72E4591-EE4D-4DBB-A37B-C5340A5F9130.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I’ve seen many mention the Delrin discs but I honestly don’t see any in my unit. Where is this supposed to be? Is that what’s in the bottom of the well? If so, how do I get it out?

The first pic is the arm well, the second the platter. I do see a ring of black crud in the platter well which I assume is the broken down ring from the top of the well. Based on previous posts I’ve seen mentioned to clean with Brakleen. Before I attempt this can someone confirm?

You have the discs. They both look pretty good. You’ll want a curved pick of some sort. I used a bent Bobby pin.
 
If you clean the wells with Brakleen or I use charcoal lighter fluid, once the oil is thinned out and the well is dry the discs often fall out when tipped over.
I have also used a drinking straw and pulled a vacuum on the disc by sucking lightly ( yeah, I know that just sounds weird) and lifting the disc out.
I re-oil with sewing machine oil, just to the top of the ball in the well and a few drops on the spindle.
While you're at it, check out suspension tuning. This makes a huge difference in the sound of your table.
 
Spent some time this week on the top plate. It’s primed and is ready for paint. I’ve been inspired by several tables I’ve seen here on AK and have decided to go with a pearlescent white. I should have the top painted this weekend.

I’m still debating whether to veneer the plinth or stick with the original and just spruce it up. Overall it doesn't look bad. Any opinions?

I will be adding Neutrik RCA jacks. I’ve tried to find some instructions on installation but no luck. They appear to mount from the front flange but they also have a double nut on the stem, so wasn't sure if this is used to mount it.
 

Attachments

  • 4570EB47-126B-4C37-A920-F4A739BEE120.jpeg
    4570EB47-126B-4C37-A920-F4A739BEE120.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 43771F12-7B40-4A07-B648-B560A8AC6EFA.jpeg
    43771F12-7B40-4A07-B648-B560A8AC6EFA.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 56A50EB3-E8B1-4FBE-A28F-A2BC4D370723.jpeg
    56A50EB3-E8B1-4FBE-A28F-A2BC4D370723.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 45
I painted my TA white. I
love the look of the white with the brushed aluminum.
IMG_20191014_155443358.jpg
I just sanded my base and used a polyurethane stain.
Your's looks to be in good shape.
 
04CF982D-2C8E-4E28-8B2E-1C5554618426.jpeg Your base looks to have a nice grain to it. I’d try to clean it up. You’d be surprised what Feed n’ Wax will do to it. Here’s mine. Pardon the dust.
 
Back
Top Bottom