• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are Class D Amps scaring the hell out of the BIG Boys ?

I’ve been researching Class-d PWM amps for a few years, in hopes of making a move. I’ve yet to audition any that can duplicate the presentation of great class A. The Spectron with its linear power supply has been the closest. In truth, I’ve not auditioned the Spectron in my own system, so it’s difficult to compare due to system synergy. Either way, it is quite good. The other 4-5 I’ve auditioned have all fallen short in HF extension as musicality.

Up till now, class d has done wonderful (world-class) bass, and l love the black noise-floor. But they’ve not had the level of detail in upper registers. That also affects the depth of the soundstage.

However…nobody on this string as mentioned the new Class-d amps that I chomping at the bit to audition. Hypex N-core NC1200 based amps. NC400 is DIY only, and NC1200 is OEM only. There are raving reviews out there (but then again, there usually is). The NC1200-based amps may well be the giant-killers we seek. They are supposed to equal or surpass even the best SS amps running class-a or ab. It may be hype, but it’d be a lot of hype from many different sources. I’m at minimum, very curious.

The amps in question (so far) are: Merrill Veritas, Mola-Mola and Acoustic Imagery Atsah. All are NC1200-based. All are around $10k-ish. I dunno. They will have pretty big shoes to fill, as my current SS amps are Levinson No. 20 class-A monoblocks. One of the best-reviewed (albeit older) class-a SS amps ever produced. However, they are getting older and they are class-a. That means parts/cap maintenance; possible unobtanium; high-heat; big power bills. If I can move to a brand new amp that performs as well as my Levinsons, and can do it in a lightweight, small, power-sipping package…I’m in.

I’ve read great things about both the NC400, and especially the NC1200. NC400 has a discrete input section, where the NC1200 uses opamp. They say the DIY community pushed for discrete and it measures better, but the opamp NC1200 sounds better. Both use switching power supplies. From everything I’ve gathered, the current offerings are using the stock Hypex configurations on the boards (unlike the Rowland-type Icepower stuff that uses the manufacturer’s own proprietary input buffer). Paul McGowan is also introducing a PSAudio NC1200 amp this summer, from what I’ve read on his blog.

All these offering feel like they should be in the $6k range, even with the audio-jewelry casework they may have. I have a hard time wrapping my head around $10-12k+ for a stock 6” class-d output board, and another stock switch-mode power supply board. I know that’s my problem, but I can SEE all the value in my huge class-a amps with the heat sinks, massive torroid, beer-can PS caps, regulated power supply, 32 output devices, etc.. At some point, when I get an audition, I still may talk myself into the purchase if they do what I want them to do.

Yes…I think the Big-Guys are either scared, or wanting to jump on board. But only if whatever class-d technology finally equals or trumps today’s best amps (which I have yet to see).
 
Last edited:
NumbDiver , I completely understand your point of view

From my P.O.V owning a $600.00 class D amp , I do NOT expect it to outclass a mega $K amp like a mark levinson :D
 
NumbDiver , I completely understand your point of view

From my P.O.V owning a $600.00 class D amp , I do NOT expect it to outclass a mega $K amp like a mark levinson :D

There's the rub though. The DIY version of ncore (nc400) aren't very expensive and I've read some reports that they may compete directly with much more expensive, more classic style amps.

World class amplification may well be in reach of masses. If not the nc400, certainly another class-d version to come in the future.

Fingers are crossed.:thmbsp:
 
The Spectron with its linear power supply has been the closest. In truth, I’ve not auditioned the Spectron in my own system, so it’s difficult to compare due to system synergy.

I believe Spectron has a 30 day home trial. All you lose is the cost of shipping, probably around $100-200 round trip.
 
great thread. i've heard the ClassDaudio 254L and it was very nice, although not more enjoyable than the Accuphase i was comparing it with. i also ran the Yamaha MX-D1 for a while, stupidly not long enough to let it really burn it. it did hum in my system, like a lot of fully-grounded amps, but it sounded really nice in a lot of ways (better than the ClassDaudio).

and FWIW, labeling an attenuator as a "gain control" is an accurate functional definition as far as i'm concerned, if what you're comparing is the signal coming out of the preamp and the signal going to the speakers [as opposed to the technical gain of the amp circuitry post-attenuator, which really doesn't mean all that much on its own].
 
and FWIW, labeling an attenuator as a "gain control" is an accurate functional definition as far as i'm concerned, if what you're comparing is the signal coming out of the preamp and the signal going to the speakers [as opposed to the technical gain of the amp circuitry post-attenuator, which really doesn't mean all that much on its own].

The gain controls on the SDS series amps do actually control the gain factor of the amp AFAIK. It's not simply lowering the signal level.

Having an actual adjustable gain amp is huge when it comes to optimizing the gain structure of a system. Personally I don't need anywhere near 26-32dB gain which is standard in most amps.


I'm using cheap Sure class D boards for my mid/hi horns, and they sound quite good for what they are. I'll probably be putting together something with Hypex boards in the next year but for now the Sure's work.
 
Having an actual adjustable gain amp is huge when it comes to optimizing the gain structure of a system.


And balance if your pre does not have it... the pre in my main system has no balance controls so under less than idea room placement the adjustable R/L gain on the amp will come in handy
 
Yung Class D Plate Amps from Parts Express

These class D plate amps make 300 watts each and cost $99. That's $.33 per watt!!!! They're compact and since they produce little heat they don't require bulky cooling fins or a noisy fan. Cleanest bass I've heard from a plate amp.

picture.php
 
I've had the Panasonic XR55 Digital since it came out over 8 years ago. I don't understand why digital avr's never caught on. Small, excellent sonics for an avr, powerful, cool running and totally reliable. Multiple internal amps even allow bi-amping in 2 channel mode.
I still use the Panasonic XR57 in the living room for the auxiliarry TV. It has many good attributes, but it suffered from some design flaws, such as lack of enough HDMI inputs. It also had a bug that helped kill it, the infamous LFE bug, where the LFE level was set down -10db. That bug was never fixed.

The other interesting thing is my Boston Acoustic CR-9s sound really good when driven by it, but my Ascends sound bad. I replaced the Panasonic with an NAD A/V, then and Onkyo and it made a tremendous difference.
 
We have a similar thing going in amateur radio except it is Class "E" amps. Imagine a 1000 Watt HF amp you can fit in a coat pocket.
 
Class D is everywhere since my 1st post - reborn if you will :)

The 'Big Boys' jumped on the train instead of getting run over by it

Why this bump?? Two reasons: I bought another class D amp yesterday and the Rogue Audio Sphinx review in Stereophile mag this month (good review and measurements BTW)
 
My front 3 amps are 2 modified Threshold T-50's 90wpc class a bridged and a Forte 4A for the center channel. Class A all the way. Paid $500 for ea amp. I've tried but never found any amp that could replace them.:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom