• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are passive speakers destined to sound less "forward" than active speakers at low volume?

I'm returning to this thread to write a "final analysis" for anyone who might have similar questions in the future.

In all, I think active/computer speakers have an advantage in that they are directed right at your ears (so good imaging) plus they have an additional "boost" to mid-frequency sounds which adds a sense of richness.

That said, it's hard to generalize about stuff like this, and most passive speaker set ups can sound better than an active speaker set up if you do it right. Moreover, many active speaker models are low quality.

Besides that, another big problem with my setup was the fact that my speakers were just too big. If they were turned too low, they wouldn't express themselves very well, but if I cranked it up, they would sound boomy in my small room. My Sanyo record player also leaves much to be desired.

Finally, I wanted to clarify something to @KentTeffeteller : I didn't say I owned Porter Wagoner's record, just that his was the kind of music I like to listen to. I do own a lot of old country records however, and most are piss-poor pressings. For instance, I own the record below, published in 1968 by Hilltop, but mostly a collection of George Jones's early stuff from the 1950s. It's one of the most miserable sounding records you've ever heard. Even in a full-on "audiophile" system, it would sound muffled, muted, and weak.

MC0zODYxLmpwZWc.jpeg
 
Last edited:
As others have already stated, there’s nothing inferior about speakers that require an external amplifier. There are actually very few active speakers I’m aware of that would fall into the “high end” category. Typically, the people willing to invest in a high-end rig prefer to choose their own amplifier. I run a similar arrangement to yours on my screen porch with an old Onkyo AV receiver driving a pair of RS LX-5s (with Linaeum tweeters) and it sounds anything but dull and recessed.

I would:
1) Check the wiring. Make sure that your speakers are connected to the front channel terminals.
2) If your speakers are equipped with a tweeter attenuation switch, make sure they’re set to flat.
3) Looking at a photo of your receiver, it’s a little hard to tell how to set it to “Stereo”, but the specs rate it at 70 wpch in stereo. Make sure the setting is correct.

Someone else suggested that you use a paper towel tube to verify operation of the tweeters, which is a good idea. Beyond that, perception of high frequencies diminishes with lowering volume level per the Fletcher-Munson curve.

I’m guessing wiring or receiver settings, but if you check that and still think the high frequencies are MIA, I’d suggest testing those speakers with a different receiver or amp, or testing the receiver with a different set of speakers.
 
It's actually the lower midrange/upper bass that adds "a sense of richness".

IME, with powered speakers a forward midrange is usually compensation for not having much, if any, true low bass. Small 2 ways with 6" or smaller woofers (IMO/E) can't produce any "real bass". That a pretty good job of faking low bass is evidenced by many Bluetooth speakers.

Imaging has very little to do with the choice of amplifier. It's a speaker thing. Imaging is easy anyway. It's only left right positioning. Any two speakers spaced a couple of feet apart and fed a stereo signal will exhibit imaging.
 
I haven't had tone controls since the early 1980's when I traded my ARC SP-3AMkIII in for an ARC SP-9.
Well I wonder if since the 80's you still use the Sp-9, and if you ever regret that trade?
My Sp3a is in one of my daily systems. IMHO those are some of the Best tone controls of any Vintage or modern Tube Preamp
 
Well I wonder if since the 80's you still use the Sp-9, and if you ever regret that trade?
My Sp3a is in one of my daily systems. IMHO those are some of the Best tone controls of any Vintage or modern Tube Preamp

Check my signature.

My favorite feature on the SP-3 was the variable loudness control. I rarely used the tone controls. My room was equalized "flat" (@ 85dB in the "spot") using a mic, test tones from an LP and a 12-band equalizer. That's why the loudness control was important to me.

IMO, the SP-9 sounds better than the SP-3 in every way. The keyword being transparency. You can start with an absence of tube related microphonics.
 
Which active speakers did you end up with?

I still have my Yamaha's at this point. I'm having difficulties finding used, good quality active speakers, so in the mean time, I'm getting some Klipsch passive speakers which may have a sound more to my taste.
 
IMO going from powered bookshelf speakers to smaller Klipsch is a lateral move. The best thing about them is not much power is needed for them to play loudly.

Most Klipsch speakers have a high end that exacerbates my Tinnitus. Also, most of the smaller models don't go very low.
 
IMO going from powered bookshelf speakers to smaller Klipsch is a lateral move. The best thing about them is not much power is needed for them to play loudly.

Most Klipsch speakers have a high end that exacerbates my Tinnitus. Also, most of the smaller models don't go very low.

It'll be a step up for me because I prefer that bright sound.
 
There are a lot of people who buy Klipsch speakers and then replace the tweeter diaphragms. Apparently, they find the original tweeters to be to over the top. IME the "Crites" diaphragms are an improvement. However, they are still too bright for me.
 
It seems to me that active speakers are simply just speakers with an amp built into them... so they could be "tuned" in any way that separates can be. It could be though that since active speakers are typically a cheaper option and aimed less at the audiophile market than the general listener, that they're typically tuned to be a bit brighter sounding and less smooth/subtle than separates tend to be.
 
Passive speakers? There is no such thing. Ideas these days not making sense.

Doug
Passive speakers are simply the traditional kind that don't have the amp part of it built into them, like active speakers. The term didn't exist back int he day, but now that there are so many active speakers available it's become a useful way to differentiate one style of speakers from the other.
 
Passive speakers are simply the traditional kind that don't have the amp part of it built into them, like active speakers. The term didn't exist back int he day, but now that there are so many active speakers available it's become a useful way to differentiate one style of speakers from the other.

However, the term "passive speakers" does not make sense. By definition, all speakers are active. It's just that the amplifier is located within the speaker enclosure in so-called active speakers.

"Active speakers". Another incorrect term chosen for the "digital age". Like "vinyls".

Doug
 
However, the term "passive speakers" does not make sense. By definition, all speakers are active. It's just that the amplifier is located within the speaker enclosure in so-called active speakers.

"Active speakers". Another incorrect term chosen for the "digital age". Like "vinyls".

Doug

"Active/passive" as in reference to the crossover in the speaker system, not the action of the cones/diaphragms. Remember that "speakers" is not just the driver elements but can also refer to the whole package.

An active speaker will have an electronic crossover that splits the signal before amplification built into it, (unless it is a 1-way) whereas a passive speaker will use series of caps/coils/resistors to split the signal after amplification.
 
"Active/passive" as in reference to the crossover in the speaker system, not the action of the cones/diaphragms. Remember that "speakers" is not just the driver elements but can also refer to the whole package.

An active speaker will have an electronic crossover that splits the signal before amplification built into it, (unless it is a 1-way) whereas a passive speaker will use series of caps/coils/resistors to split the signal after amplification.
You know, I’ve been putzing around with this for forty years, and I never heard that before. It makes perfect sense - approach the various amp manufacturers to produce a bolt-on amplifier/crossover module and you have a new entry to the high-end market. Who knows? It might even work. :deal:
 
However, the term "passive speakers" does not make sense. By definition, all speakers are active. It's just that the amplifier is located within the speaker enclosure in so-called active speakers.

"Active speakers". Another incorrect term chosen for the "digital age". Like "vinyls".

Doug

:rolleyes:

How can a speaker inside a cabinet without a built in amplifier be active? Of course all speakers that don't have an open voice coil can be considered active but I have always forever known the term "Active Speaker" to be self powered or one with a built in power amplifier inside the speaker cabinet itself. I have always seen these at school dances where the mixer has never had its own built in power amplifier.

Then again I have seen at dances, concerts, etc., where speakers are in cabinets without any amps besides the crossover to be known as passive speakers where the power amps are either built knto the mixers, or are separate in shelves and racks right next to the DJ. what's so hard to figure out?

When someone has come along and said they have active speakers, I have always (40 years or more) known them to have built in amps and passive speakers to be your average run-of-the-mill home stereo speaker cabinets without built in amps.
 
Back
Top Bottom