• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Are streaming services sucking the life out of musical choices?

I'm getting an anti-streamig vibe. That's cool. Just trying to figure out why. Clearly you are not anti-digital.

You said earlier that you have music on hard drive you haven't heard. How do you know you like it?

And having access to 10M "turds" (which I assume means songs you don't like) doesn't mean you have to listen to them. Same as going to a record store...you don't have to buy all of them.

In fact, I would bet that you have a few turds in your own FLAC library. I know I do...and mine is less than half the size of yours.

Nope, I've subscribed to a streaming source for longer than most. It's another tool, but certainly not the be all and end all.
 
You think those sound good, you should try the originals on tape. :thumbsup:
Get your point as I play nice sounding original vinyl's all the time. But how available are those and how much would it cost to get some. That said the Qobuz ones probably sound as good on a properly set up system for the cost of a couple coffees every month.
 
Get your point as I play nice sounding original vinyl's all the time. But how available are those and how much would it cost to get some. That said the Qobuz ones probably sound as good on a properly set up system for the cost of a couple coffees every month.

Well exactly, different sources for different things; one doesn’t have to be superior to the other. Streaming is super convenient, I use it all the time; when I’m in the mood to listen and really enjoy the fidelity, I throw on a tape and relax. It’s more enjoyable than you might think.
 
Well exactly, different sources for different things; one doesn’t have to be superior to the other. Streaming is super convenient, I use it all the time; when I’m in the mood to listen and really enjoy the fidelity, I throw on a tape and relax. It’s more enjoyable than you might think.
I get it and just got rid of my RTR's about 6 yrs ago. I am mostly commenting on the cost v SQ thing.
 
Less guess work. I must have liked or wanted to hear it at some point. It's easier for a lazy person like myself.

How is it easier? Typing into a search on Spotify or Quboz is just as easy as doing so in JRiver and easier/quicker than locating and loading an LP or CD.

I often opt to play Quboz over getting my media out as it is so much quicker.
 
A playlist presumes you want to hear the same things over and over.
Not necessarily. I quickly build them on-the-fly with both systems based upon my mood at the time. A few are kept but most aren't.

No different really that choosing a new collection of tracks from any source - other than it can be quickly done on my phone anywhere I happen to be. And in the garage, the Apple watch can control the list and even adjust the gain with the crown. :)
 
What's the point if you can select whatever you want anyway? :dunno:

Although I have favorite tracks that I play semi-regularly I never listen to selections in the same order.

.
 
What's the point if you can select whatever you want anyway?
Not sure of how you control music with a PC, but selecting tracks using the iPeng app *is* creating a playlist. It just retains your choices and you don't have to wait until one track is finished to select the next. I typically "choose ahead" quite a ways and add to it along the way. It can select a track or album to play immediately, add to end or play next.

Afterwards, you can then start from scratch, continue to add to the list or save that list with a name. Here's part of yesterday's "unsaved" list:

IMG_0042.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I get it and just got rid of my RTR's about 6 yrs ago.
When I was a teen, I just had to have a RTR that supported 10.5" NAB reels running 15 ips. Why? Because it looked cool. I went for a Sony TC-850 with the backlit solenoid controls. It became the most expensive component at the time.

Didn't take long for me to realize two things:

1. Most commercial releases were for the most part, non-existent.
2. Rather than create dubs of vinyl, why not purchase a better sounding system?

Sold it within a year or so. Now if I had Mike Lavigne's budget (more than my house), I might get one or two just for the odd release. ;)

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 3.54.45 PM.png
 
Last edited:
I get it and just got rid of my RTR's about 6 yrs ago. I am mostly commenting on the cost v SQ thing.

The cost has increased drastically in the last few years unless you get lucky, but I have a pretty decent library already (still always lookin’). It’s just a format that clicks with me, so I do it; I get the cost thing though, nice decks are pricey.

Is it worth it? Not always, but when it is, it really is. :biggrin:
 
The cost has increased drastically in the last few years unless you get lucky, but I have a pretty decent library already (still always lookin’). It’s just a format that clicks with me, so I do it; I get the cost thing though, nice decks are pricey.

Is it worth it? Not always, but when it is, it really is. :biggrin:
New prerecorded tapes are pretty cheap also :cool:
 
Like FM, streaming introduces me to new music. Like records, streaming lets me play particular songs and albums. I prefer Slacker (now LiveOne but was LiveXLive) for their stations. They were rated best years ago for their algorithms on the stations based on liking or disliking songs. There are sliders to control the mix of new vs favorite songs. I use Amazon for playlists and albums. It all depends on what I want. Slacker, like FM, is great for background music while I work, have friends over, etc. I use Amazon, or records and CDs, when I want to concentrate on what I'm listening to to the music. Streaming has greatly enhanced my music experience. I really don't see how anyone could say that it doesn't, if used 'correctly'
 
New prerecorded tapes are pretty cheap also :cool:
Lol, I wish, but deals can still be had if you're patient. I've found that I had to switch strategies over the last year or two; most of my tape acquisitions now are from buying decks advertised as selling with tapes, then disposing of the decks... :eek:
 
Not sure of how you control music with a PC, but selecting tracks using the iPeng app *is* creating a playlist. It just retains your choices and you don't have to wait until one track is finished to select the next. I typically "choose ahead" quite a ways and add to it along the way. It can select a track or album to play immediately, add to end or play next.

Afterwards, you can then start from scratch, continue to add to the list or save that list with a name. Here's part of yesterday's "unsaved" list:

View attachment 2681916

I use MusicBee as my player. (95% of my listening is done in "the chair") I can use a dedicated laptop (right next to chair) or my phone to make selections. I don't choose very far ahead because the next selection is based on how what's currently playing effects my mood. It's never the same.

That is, I make selections on the fly. Today So What from KOB may be first and El Son Reggae by Les Nubians may be next. Tomorrow I might start with So What again while the next selection may be Love Theme From Spartacus by Ramsey Lewis. Music Bee keeps a list of what I'm playing. I could use that as a playlist. However, as I've tried to point out it's highly unlikely I'll play the same sequence of selections again.
 
I do it a variety of ways:

  • Pick one cut at a time
  • Pick a bunch at a time
  • Use one of the 200 or so playlists I've made
  • Pick one album at a time
  • Use one of the streaming service playlists
  • Use one of the streaming service stations
  • Shuffle my FLAC library, or various subsets thereof
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom