• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Are there any young audiophiles out there?

I am just wanting to know if I'm the only one at the age of 16 that is dumping all my money into powering up my vintage Hi-Fi setup in my mancave? I'm certainly quite the odd one out in my school as the only thing I like is classic rock, anything vintage, and a seeker of quality not cheap crap lol

I think when it's show and tell day at school..set up your system then let the ooh and ahs begin! :D Just kidding of course. It's great that a few kids your age still recognize that ipods and ear buds just don't cut it.
 
Nice to see some younger folks getting into old school audio. I would guess the median age on this board is around 50.
 
you sound like you are more knowledgable of what you want from your setup than i am by choosing vintage over modern receivers. i'm 18 and have spent almost a grand on my audio experiences only to realize my system is crap x) owell that's what ebay and great return policies are for :D
Ebay, huh?

Did you fall for brands like Pyle or Technical Pro?
 
Careful with the crappy ear bud talk now. A brief listen to some $99 Shure SE215s or Etymotic hf5s will lay bare the fact that IEMs are quite capable of excellent sound if you're even a slightly savvy shopper.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
It's a hobby most kids aren't doing but good to see it's going strong. My son who is 12 has a Sansui (60's) and some Alison Acoustics (monitors) given to him by me. They sound very nice and he likes it but hasn't got bit by the bug like me. This hobby can be done on a budget or with all your lunch money.
CTL
 
I'm not young any more as I have a daughter that's older than you, but I got my first decent system when I was 17. Sony receiver, Sony CD player, used Yamaha NS1000M speakers when they were well-regarded but not quite worshiped like they are these days. Even had the ubiquitous Monster speaker cable.

That system got us through college. First thing we replaced was the speakers for a set of Apogee Centaur Major speakers which the Sony literally couldn't drive at satisfactory levels so I got a McCormack DNA 0.5 amp.

The first system wasn't audiophile-approved but sounded pretty great to me, if a bit thin. The second system was pretty much audiophile quality except the CD player.

Having said all that, I abhor the word, 'audiophile.'

:yes:
 
I was 12 years-old when my old man introduced me to this hobby, but then the PC started getting more popular in Indonesia and you know the rest. Moreover, Sound Blaster wasn't yet popular at that time, so combining the two hobbies together didn't come into my mind back then.
 
Audiophile
A person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction.

As far as I know everyone who is a member of AK falls into this category.

I am happy to see some of the young generation becoming interested in this hobby. The more we can get will assure that the hobby will never die. There are still some who have no clue what this hobby is about. It will take you and the rest of the young generation to talk to them, to convince them, to show them that there is more ways to listen to music besides MP3 and the i-Phone.

Thanks to all of you who joined AK, and to those who will keep the music alive! :music:
 
It's nice to see young folks enjoying the hobby. I am about 5000 yrs old, roughly. :D I didn't get into the hobby 'til around the early 80s though, yes the 1980s. There really weren't any note worthy audio products on the market in the 1880s and earlier. I just wish I would have started exploring audio sooner.
 
Yeah, but on some levels, I think of an audiophile as someone that values the gear as much as the music and that's never been what my interest in nice gear was about on any level. My specific interest is most of the speakers I'd heard didn't sound very much like the acoustic instruments I played.

As Ken alluded to, I don't think $10,000 of gear makes somebody any more of an audiophile than $10,000 worth of camera makes someone a photographer. It's just gear. Some folks like to have nice gear and don't care how it's set up. Some folks don't care what gear they have as long as it sounds good to them. Some folks clearly have no concept of what exceptional sound is as evidenced by their gear and/or placement and settings.

I don't think of audiophile as a bad word necessarily, I just think to many folks, it's about gear or reaching a certain level or a never-ending pursuit.
 
When I was young years ago, I had my own record player at age 11. It used a pair of 50C5 outputs. Tube, of course!
 
23 over here, firmly planted in the vintage HiFi world.

lJAeE3dh.jpg
 
Built my 1st crystal radio at age 11, am 63 now. You young guys are the future of what makes this hobby great, never forget the heritage and the history radio came from. Google Marconi when you get the time..
 
First of all, I hate the term audiophile. Prefer audio enthusiast, because that is what we (mostly) are.

Second of all, I don't understand all the "young" audio enthusiasts out there who think vintage is the only way to go. The new stuff is better IMO. Yes, I know vintage has it's appeal to those who knew what it was back in the day, but most of it is worn out, needs rebuilding to bring up to spec, etc. But it's a nostalgia thing more than anything else.

New gear and new tech should be what defines the young generation getting into this hobby, not the old stuff Grandpa or the Uncle had. Electronics are better now, seriously. Learn class D, find a new path.
 
Hey I started loving my music around 15 , had a little sony amp and a dual turntable, pair of nice realistic speakers. At 18 had my marantz 4400, took that long. Wish I had it now. Enjoy the music. Maybe make some
 
First of all, shame on you, Lico, for bringing the Modern vs Vintage BS into this thread.

Second of all, why all the exaggerations in your post?

Second of all, I don't understand all the "young" audio enthusiasts out there who think vintage is the only way to go.

Are you sure that those people feel vintage is the "only" way to go or did you just stick that in there to make your weak argument sound better? In reality you will find that most all young people, even those who appreciate vintage gear, don't use it exclusively.

The new stuff is better IMO. Yes, I know vintage has it's appeal to those who knew what it was back in the day, but most of it is worn out, needs rebuilding to bring up to spec, etc. But it's a nostalgia thing more than anything else.

I realize it must be convenient for you to summarize everything newer than vintage as "new stuff" but you have to realize how useless that makes your post. "New stuff" could mean anything from something sitting in the clearance bin at the dollar store to something costing $100k in a boutique store. Of course there is almost always "New stuff" that is better. Does that mean anyone who is in a position to acquire a functional vintage piece of gear could instead get something "new" that is "better" without spending 10x the money or more? Probably not...

New gear and new tech should be what defines the young generation getting into this hobby, not the old stuff Grandpa or the Uncle had. Electronics are better now, seriously. Learn class D, find a new path.

I would contend that "New gear" and "new tech" already defines the young generation getting into this hobby, which is why the market is now dominated with ipod docking stations and the equivalent of computer speakers. That is what the "young generation" tends to buy, not vintage.

Your post conveniently ignores a key variable; potentially the most important variable of them all that comes into play when people build a vintage system: Money. Young people don't buy Vintage gear out of some mistaken idea that it's better than high-end new gear, any more than they would buy an iPod dock thinking that same thing. They do it because it's what they can afford.

Your argument is basically chastising people for making decisions within their budget. Do you really feel like all the young folks who build vintage systems are in a position to instead go and drop $$$ on high-end new gear? If them building their vintage system was in place of something like an ipod Dock or 2.1 computer speakers, can you really still say that they made the wrong choice?

It's like someone choosing between an old Mustang and a Yaris, and then saying that picking the Mustang was the wrong choice because it's not as fast as a modern sports car.
 
Back
Top Bottom