• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are there any young audiophiles out there?

Hmmm, I don't consider myself old... 35 here. My system is fairly stable now although I still look for better turntables and cartridges. I think of myself as more of an enthusiast than an audiofile....
 
At 35, I only feel old as if I go to the pub. All these attractive girls, that are incredibly stupid and annoying.... I guess I need substance these days. Age huh?
 
Age 25 here. I've considered myself an audiophile for about 10 years of so, about the time I started seriously collecting vinyl. Like others have stated in this thread, I hold the concept of being an audiophile in more rooted in mindset than an actual equipment setup. I remember in high school I didn't have much money for gear, so I mostly listened to my parents neglected 80s Kenwood setup. My first real "audiophile" product that I got was a pair of Grado SR-80 headphones, that really let me know that there was something more out there.

As for this whole vintage vs modern nonsense, I implore everyone to not view audio gear in absolutes like this. They both have their merits and there are all sorts of debates about price, longevity, etc. Although my current set up is decidedly vintage (most of my gear is 10+ years older than me), I wouldn't say that I -or most 'audiophiles' of my generation- are not open to newer gear. There are plenty of opportunities to buy good used gear, or new class-D gear cheaply. My best advice is to let your ears do the deciding within whatever budget you choose, pick out some good tunes and enjoy.

Glad to see so many folks around my age on here. The world needs more folks that care about quality.

If I'm interpreting correctly the song referenced in your username was released when you were approximately 4. Pavement is definitely not "classic rock" by the traditional definition, and yet they kind of are now.

Anyway, it's great to see so many younger folks into this business of listening.
 
I'm still young, I think. Although I did take a trip through a time machine in the 1980's by starting a family, and woke up in the 21st century like Rip Van Winkle thinking WTF... where did the time just go?
All hobbies are good. I wish I had the cash to fund my love of building houses. Never figured out how the bankers think, though. Hoping to start another one in the next five years (knock on wood).
I think audio inventions have given us one of the best bangs for the buck in the world. But let's admit it... none of this would have been possible without the musicians. God love 'em.
 
IDK, I'm 33 which isn't young any more. I've been into audio since I was a kid though and heard sweet child of mine on a neighbor's system when it first came out.
 
21 here. You're not alone. I've spent probably 3 grand in the last 6 months really stepping up both my home and car systems. I have Focal integration speakers and SOLID4 amp in my Tahoe, with a Nakamichi head unit, Klipsch RM15 bookshelf speakers with s wireless Polk 8" sub in my bedroom, and Paradigm 9se floorstanders with pioneer pre amp and Adcom power amp in the man cave. I just snagged an RCA Dimensia MpA-120 for the bedroom to replace the fisher integrated in there currently, pre amp to be determined.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
21 here. You're not alone. I've spent probably 3 grand in the last 6 months really stepping up both my home and car systems. I have Focal integration speakers and SOLID4 amp in my Tahoe, with a Nakamichi head unit, Klipsch RM15 bookshelf speakers with s wireless Polk 8" sub in my bedroom, and Paradigm 9se floorstanders with pioneer pre amp and Adcom power amp in the man cave. I just snagged an RCA Dimensia MpA-120 for the bedroom to replace the fisher integrated in there currently, pre amp to be determined.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like the Focal components in the car? One of the first things I want to do when I get a newer car this spring/summer is swap out stock drivers for Focals.
 
Glad this thread got back on track. It almost got lost there.

I am also in the younger group here, but not very. Time is starting to fly, especially with my two kids now.

I lean towards newer gear, hoping to need less maintenance, and be reliable. At the same time, my best amps are almost as old as me, and my speakers are about 10~15 years older. I like vintage for the looks, and for the prices I can find now and then. We all love the score. Much new gear does sound great, but there is a LOT of vintage/older gear out there that is great as well.

I am glad there are many of us young guys here, we are learning from the vast store of knowledge that is AK.

Too bad about the op disappearing, but one of his first threads made it to 10 pages? That is not too bad.
 
How do you like the Focal components in the car? One of the first things I want to do when I get a newer car this spring/summer is swap out stock drivers for Focals.


I sent you a private message about the Focal.

Ben


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The closer I get to 40 the more inclined I am to think it's young. I just can't believe I'm half way there :s
 
Everything is relative. 41 sounds young to this 67 year old.
charlie

When my grandfather was 92 he spent his days building 6 foot step ladders by hand (my parents had taken all of his power tools away from him because he was almost completely blind).

I asked him what he was doing with all the ladders. He told me, "I'm selling them from the front yard. Once a week, I get the young fella down the street to help me move them."

The "young fella" he spoke of was the 65 year old neighbor.

Pops passed away one month shy of his 95th birthday; miss him a bunch.

But it's true...

...it is all relative.
 
I'm 26 now so I guess I'm on the higher side of young. I've been in the hobby about 6 years now. In that time I've gone though probably a literal ton of gear. Some I miss, some I would never get again. I think I'm in a good place with my current setups though, given all I've had to give up. Do I expect to be doing this at twice my age? No, I'm amazed I'm not dead already.
 
20 Years old over here, fighting the loudness war with my wallet. Caught the bug a year ago when I got free entry level Technics direct drive, haven't slowed down since... Being a voracious reader helps too, as I get to sift through the collective knowledge of AK's members. You're all the best :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom