• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are there any young audiophiles out there?

I don't know if it's to do with "our general group" having and knowing good gear? As time goes on, lot of young people around us are getting systems that are the real deal in both vintage and modern. (Both of my young adult kids use vintage heavily.)
 
I am in the group of younger people here and all I can say is my dream is to one day get either a sx-1250 or a sx-1050 and some large floor standing speakers. Being disabled and on a set income while also trying to resto-mod a K-5 blazer makes it kind of hard.
 
I am just wanting to know if I'm the only one at the age of 16 that is dumping all my money into powering up my vintage Hi-Fi setup in my mancave? I'm certainly quite the odd one out in my school as the only thing I like is classic rock, anything vintage, and a seeker of quality not cheap crap lol

You're an audiophile. End of discussion. Age has little to do with it outside your pocket book. Welcome to the club. :thmbsp:
 
Yea me ! 61 yrs young:D
Although I started about your age ,built a ~40 WPC tube amp ( 2 pp 6l6 GT outputs per ch. ) in high school electronic class for sr. year project . used it for some years . Bought some University speakers to play it on and a Garrard model 50 with a Stanton 500e!
and a used Lafayette FM tuner.
ofc I worked after school and on weekends that paid for the stereo and the 57 Chevy bel air, the 305 Honda scrambler and all the parts and upgrades that went into to those also. Lots of systems since then mostly new stuff in the studio now .


You don't have to spend a fortune for good sound contrary to what the magazines will have you believe just get some decent
not real expensive passive 8" 2 way studio monitors and a modest powered Sub ,an inexpensive pro amp Behringer A500 or Crown xls 1000/1500 or a QSC GX3 amp) ,Your PC or whatever and an USB/DAC maybe an inexpensive but very good Schitt Modi.
You will need a pre amp if you spin vinyl (maybe one of the ART DJ's phono pre amps) you can build a decent *New killer system like this for around ~ $625.00-$725.00 add in $79.00 for the preamp + whatever $$ for the turntable if you spin Vinyl . You won't be able to approach the sound at BB,BB /Magnolia .Amazon or wherever for anything close to that money. You might get an HTIB or sound bar and a sub for that .... it's almost criminal I tell ya!


Treat the room with some sound absorbents and bass traps *(you can make those inexpensively ) it will sound better or at least as good than a lot of new 5 ++ K off the shelf systems or most vintage gear (been there done both several times )in a modest sized room certainly better than any receiver I've heard including the Sony ES in my HT set up . ofc there may be some exceptions I haven't heard them all.

Some of the decent vintage gear *can cost as much or more for just a decent restored receiver or amp in *some cases .
ofc OTOH if you choose vintage there are always the lucky bargains here at AK in $$ and sense and Barter town .
Some of the Black plastic (if still working ) 90's early 2000's AVRs were not bad and they are cheap on the used market .



Disclaimer ( I have 3 vintage Pioneer receivers SX 980,1050,3900 so I know how they sound (decent ) with the right speakers . but they have limitations. The best ones are the (very good ) the SX 1050 and SX1250 fageett about an SX1980 you need at least 6 or 7 bit coins (at today's price for one of them if you can find one and 2 guys to move it!) you will extremely lucky to find a decent serviced SX1050 for less than a grand an SX1250 even more . Modern electronics have come a long way including the class D type switching amps they use a lot now.
OTOH if you find some working phat McIntosh gear at a bargain meaning any working McIntosh gear (not likely) jump on it!

Man. You built an amp for your school project.. I built a clock.... If theres an argument for the dumbing down of education. This is it. And I reckon its worse now. I know under the right tutelage I could have also built what you built .. but.. it's notbeing taught... I'm 34...what are kids learning now. I reckon less... We area smart country we can't let this knowledge drop away..... Guys with the smarts. Take a young kid under your wing. Teach them
 
Guilty as charged. 20 now, I caught the audio bug four or five years ago.

As you might be able to tell by the username, I'm more of an enthusiast about music compared to the gear on which I play it. I am in collection-building mode with my music and currently am just shy of having 2,000 singles.

Who needs a girlfriend, right? ;)
 
Last edited:
I'm 22, just about to graduate from college, and I have way to much gear right now. I started with my brother after finding a Sony turntable and a Pioneer SX-950 in the trash when I was 13. The fun never ends...
 
Old now......well 55 years old :D.
...always into music as long as I can remember
...bought my first new lp at 12...had an old console I sequestered from my parents basement

...bought my first mid-fi system (separates) at 17....mostly Sansui...the TT from that system is still doing duty in my 88 year old uncles basement!

...had the "bug" ever since

...whatever age you are enjoy the journey and the tunes!! :thmbsp:
 
I think that it's sad how many of us "old guys" (I'm 57, I qualify) are charging into this thread and taking it places other that what the OP asked.

I think that it's fandamntastic that there are so many young people here. Keep on keepin' on!

Old guys & gals! Take up the challenge. Put together a good basic starter system and give it to a young guy or gal. Cost free. Pay It Forward.

Cheers,
James
 
I think that it's sad how many of us "old guys" (I'm 57, I qualify) are charging into this thread and taking it places other that what the OP asked.

I think that it's fandamntastic that there are so many young people here. Keep on keepin' on!

Old guys & gals! Take up the challenge. Put together a good basic starter system and give it to a young guy or gal. Cost free. Pay It Forward.

Cheers,
James


Thanks for going there. I've had two experienced now like this. Started a thread asking "FELLOW MILLENIALS" (it was in the thread title) why they prefer vinyl and it got co-opted by the older ills on here sharing the beaten up old tired story about how they can find their favorite music as a kid for very cheap in thrift stores. And a thread about my own system where folks, well meaning or otherwise decided to talk about "youngsters". Frustrating and unwelcome.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for going there. I've had two experienced now like this. Started a thread asking "FELLOW MILLENIALS" (it was in the thread title) why they prefer vinyl and it got co-opted by the older ills on here sharing the beaten up old tired story about how they can find their favorite music as a kid for very cheap in thrift stores. And a thread about my own system where folks, well meaning or otherwise decided to talk about "youngsters". Frustrating and unwelcome.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, except the OP made three posts in his entire AK career and then disappeared altogether. He's probably into Civil War re-enactments by now.
 
Okay, except the OP made three posts in his entire AK career and then disappeared altogether. He's probably into Civil War re-enactments by now.


I've spent enough time here to see why one would turn tail and run so quickly. :D


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Okay, except the OP made three posts in his entire AK career and then disappeared altogether. He's probably into Civil War re-enactments by now.

Hardly matters. The concept of the thread is clear, and a number of young members answered. It would be interesting to see where their conversation might go if it isn't smothered by "old guy talk", which I admit to being guilty of sometimes also.

And you never know. OP may come back with some really cool Civil War re-enactment stories someday. It's only been 8 months. Mabye he's in a war zone at the moment.

Cheers,
James
 
Thanks for going there. I've had two experienced now like this. Started a thread asking "FELLOW MILLENIALS" (it was in the thread title) why they prefer vinyl and it got co-opted by the older ills on here sharing the beaten up old tired story about how they can find their favorite music as a kid for very cheap in thrift stores. And a thread about my own system where folks, well meaning or otherwise decided to talk about "youngsters". Frustrating and unwelcome.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are welcome. Btw, did I ever tell you the story about how I found a lot of my favorite music at the dump? Happened just the other day...

Cheers,
James
 
You are welcome. Btw, did I ever tell you the story about how I found a lot of my favorite music at the dump? Happened just the other day...



Cheers,

James


I'm sure I'll be back in 25-30 years with stories like that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
UR kidding right ?


Modern muscle cars and even many daily drivers routinely outperform even the best '60's/70's muscle cars
except for a few specially prepared ringers or special factory optioned cars they had then .....and that's only in a straight line!


ofc that does not diminish their collector value......or coolness factor .


For example The 2005 LS2 Holden/GTO
with 4.6 seconds 0-60 mph and 13.0 ¼ mile times exceeded all but some of the specially optioned cars mentioned above
and they do it without all the drama and broken parts!

The 68-72 GTO had much better sterering and brakes
than the 64-67 builds but still not up to par with the '04'06 builds .

I worked on 60-70's muscle cars in the'70's and owned a few.

I owned a 64 A body Tempest/GTO 389/348hp 4sp matching #s tri carb . The tri carb optioned cars were very temperamental .It had slow steering and ineffective drum brakes and couldn't corner . It could never perform on par with the '04 '06 GTO builds on it's best day ! The quadrajet cars were munch better drivers than tri carbs especially the 68-72 cars .
I had a 58 Impala tri carb 348 temperamental also.

Truth is most of the muscle cars made back then were scary as hell when you got on it ,they went everywhere but where they were pointed and couldn't corner and couldn't stop! You want to drive something scary ? Try a 60's or 70's Vette,Porche ,or Benz SL at the limit and break the IRS ass end loose (they gave no warning) ! trust me on that you land where you land !

Quoted for truth - and because I find it amusing! Thanks for the laugh.:thmbsp:
 
I am just wanting to know if I'm the only one at the age of 16 that is dumping all my money into powering up my vintage Hi-Fi setup in my mancave? I'm certainly quite the odd one out in my school as the only thing I like is classic rock, anything vintage, and a seeker of quality not cheap crap lol

I was into whatever was Vintage called at 15-16 already also and that was 61 yrs ago:):thmbsp:
 
19 here. It all started off with a lot of research and my first craigslist purchase a few years ago. Since then I've been hawking the local craigslist and garage sales and learning as much as I possibly can. Buying, selling, keeping(one more than the others at the moment); it's all been very fun. Looking back at how I've worked my way up makes the journey even more rewarding.

No matter your system or preferences, it's the appreciation of music that all of us here share and it is truly what makes this hobby so special
 
Back
Top Bottom