The Pioneer 4MC and 5MC were examples of a rare breed, a moving coil cartridge with a replaceable stylus assembly...Audio Technica also had a couple, too, like the AT-3100 and the AT-3200 of which I have one and a couple of spare styli...
how does that work? The stylus couples to a coil assembly rather than having the coils hard-mounted to the cantilever at the back?
Right, the field magnet and field poles stayed in the fixed portion.The replacement ‘stylus’ was actually the complete internals of the cartridge, complete with cantilever, stylus tip and coils, which just plugged in to the rear terminals and body of the cartridge. The Pioneer MC cartridges with replaceable styli were made for them by Audio-Technica, and were very similar to AT’s own models of that type.
$180 isn't bad considering you're basically getting a whole new moving coil cartridge, LOMC start at around 3 bills and the sky is the limit from there.I know they are expensive and hard to find that's why I'm looking for other options
The replacement ‘stylus’ was actually the complete internals of the cartridge, complete with cantilever, stylus tip and coils, which just plugged in to the rear terminals and body of the cartridge. The Pioneer MC cartridges with replaceable styli were made for them by Audio-Technica, and were very similar to AT’s own models of that type.
I'd like to have this Pioneer 5MC fixed for my spare table
Thank you
]