• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are there companies that install new needles into discontinued cartridges?

It appears as though you can just buy a replacement for this (rare for a MC cart, but not unheard of). Most MC's will need to be retyped, but this is a different type.

The Pioneer PC-3MC, 4MC, 5MC are all the same body, only the stylus assembly (which includes coils) change.
 
Interesting. I was wondering how you'd change the stylus without disturbing the coils, but this makes sense.
Afaik, it's an AT dual magnet cart, turned inside out with the coils on poles in place of the rod magnets and the field magnet where the coils would be.
The headpiece connections are part of the replacement stylus insert.
 
$200 isn’t a ton of money for quality sound but there aren’t many left and it’s coming from another country so I really think it’s time to look for other options.
 
Just spitballin' here, but as that appears to be "low mass arm" with an ADC headshell wouldn't we want a higher compliance cartridge? Would an AT VM95 be suitable? I'm guessing that's the level of performance this TT/arm deserves.
Certainly many vintage carts, but that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.
 
I’m far from a pro here but the PC-5MC has an output similar to that of a MM @2.2mV, and sound is great in my opinion. It has its benefits and paired with the A-70 it is really one of the cleanest and quietest phono stages I’ve heard.

I’d like something with similar output and I know MC’s are not usually this high of an output. If I have it replaced by a professional will it change its specs much?
 
Just spitballin' here, but as that appears to be "low mass arm" with an ADC headshell wouldn't we want a higher compliance cartridge? Would an AT VM95 be suitable? I'm guessing that's the level of performance this TT/arm deserves.
Certainly many vintage carts, but that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.
it looks like a completely different type of head shell so no simple swap and then it’s a MM so it’s not a plug and play.

Here is the bottom of a 5MC

246F4B4A-C240-4BFC-82C8-21437DFA0BF4.jpeg

the bottom of my head shell
67DCE824-2C3A-4100-BB4A-5BBEE0B59533.jpeg

And the inside where it attaches to the tonearm
1E6A7386-8204-4AD4-90C0-D00C7BEABBAC.png
 
Just spitballin' here, but as that appears to be "low mass arm" with an ADC headshell wouldn't we want a higher compliance cartridge? Would an AT VM95 be suitable? I'm guessing that's the level of performance this TT/arm deserves.
Certainly many vintage carts, but that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

The PC-5MC cartridge appears to be the standard fitment by Pioneer for the PL-740 and PL-950 turntables, based on information that I can find. I would expect the OEM would fit a cartridge that had an appropriate compliance to work with the arm.
 
OK, both of these are fully automatic turntables with no VTA adjustment so advanced stylus shapes really aren't supported.
It could be why Pioneer supplied the 5MC instead of the 4MC as spherical/conical tips don't require the same care in alignment.
I wouldn't go much beyond just a regular bonded elliptical stylus when choosing a cartridge.

Those headshells are also very common, and your picture #2 is not of the headshell alone, but of the cartridge body mounted to the headshell.
 
it looks like a completely different type of head shell so no simple swap and then it’s a MM so it’s not a plug and play.

Here is the bottom of a 5MC

View attachment 2799362

the bottom of my head shell
View attachment 2799363

And the inside where it attaches to the tonearm
View attachment 2799365

looks like standard 1/2" mounting to me. Screws run down from the top. If this is an HOMC cartridge, then it would be functionally equivalent to a moving magnet in terms of output level. I've got an HOMC myself, plugs right into a standard phono stage.


the bottom view I'm assuming is the stylus assembly removed? I see the coils in that, and the magnets in the other pic.
 
There’s a guy on eBay who has a listing to retip that cartridge with an elliptical diamond for $125.

Can’t post links, but easy enough to find.

Search with this: “Pioneer High Output MC Cartridge Upgrading and Retipping PC4 PC5 PC6 PC7”

There’s also NOS on eBay for $179.95 from another seller.

Search with this: “Pfanstiehl Diamond Needle 748-D7 (Pioneer PN-5MC, PN-6MC) fits PC-5MC & PC-6MC”

No affiliations
2nd that. JOSEPH IS GREAT
 
Con
There’s a guy on eBay who has a listing to retip that cartridge with an elliptical diamond for $125.

Can’t post links, but easy enough to find.

Search with this: “Pioneer High Output MC Cartridge Upgrading and Retipping PC4 PC5 PC6 PC7”

There’s also NOS on eBay for $179.95 from another seller.

Search with this: “Pfanstiehl Diamond Needle 748-D7 (Pioneer PN-5MC, PN-6MC) fits PC-5MC & PC-6MC”

No affiliations

Considering that pfanstiehl is not a genuine 5mc id rather have it re tipped. I think I'll go that route thank you
 
Con


Considering that pfanstiehl is not a genuine 5mc id rather have it re tipped. I think I'll go that route thank you

Hi,

This is an important observation, however note that the "stylus" assembly also includes the MC coils. Pfansteihl, as far as i know, was not into winding MC coils, only on placing stylus tips into cantilvers and then into plastic stylus bodies.

There is a big chance that this assembly is indeed manufactured by the OEM (probably audio technica), despite having the Pfansteihl label.
 
Not discounting the option of a Needlestein re-tip. Seems a great value and certain to be quality work.
But, that is just a plain ol' ADC headshell. Nothing special. Any suitable cartridge will fit. I believe after looking at the photos again it would have to be short- no Ortofon 2M carts here.
A vintage ADC cart would physically be perfect, though probably not worth the effort.
Still a re-tip would be easiest and cost effective. :thumbsup:
Edit- Assuming the coils are good!
 
I found a PL-740 with a REGA carbon cart on the stock head and tone arm. I kind of want to go with a whole new 1/2" HOMC cart if i can get any better SQ. Having 2 identical TT's sounds boring.

Any suggestions for a HOMC under 400$? I have a lot to learn.

I know this is a MM but at least this confirms a swap is possible. I did measure the head holes at 1/2" also
20230214_161243.jpg 20230214_161208.jpg
 
The Pioneer branded styli for this cart are conical. An aftermarket elliptical may sound better. The Rega Carbon is basically a $15 Audio Technica with Rega branding. You can do a lot better with a less than $100 MM cart(such as the AT 95E). Or, just get the replacement stylus for the AT95E and put it on the Rega body (less than $50 from Amazon).
 
The Pioneer branded styli for this cart are conical. An aftermarket elliptical may sound better.

But, due to the fact that this tonearm is not adjustable for VTA I wouldn't spend too much money on a higher line cartridge as to get the best from them they take an alignment procedure for VTA/SRA that these automatic turntables just do not support...

Which is probably why they came with a tiny 0.5 mil conical installed on the MC cartridge to begin with, many common conicals are 0.7 mils...

Besides, your $400 would go better toward a better table with a decent arm, I would argue that $200 is the very top of what I would spend on these $100 tables., if even that.

Put an Audio Technica VM95E for $69 on it and be done. Or a VM95C for similar performance to what you have now.

.
 
honestly I suspect too much fuss is made about VTA. Most arms dont move all that much, and by the time you get all the way out to the end of the arm there just isn't that much change in angle at the stylus.
Hi,

This is an important observation, however note that the "stylus" assembly also includes the MC coils. Pfansteihl, as far as i know, was not into winding MC coils, only on placing stylus tips into cantilvers and then into plastic stylus bodies.

There is a big chance that this assembly is indeed manufactured by the OEM (probably audio technica), despite having the Pfansteihl label.


^^ this. Generally the Pfansteihl produced parts will start with a "4" and be a 4 digit part number. OE are 3 digit.
 
Back
Top Bottom