• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Are you a vinyl junkie? Hoarder?

The other night I was fooling around with a friend on Facebook. I posted about a Chicago Symphony Orch. Living Stereo copy of Pictures at an Exhibition I was playing. When it was all said and done, I managed to find 9 different copies of this work. And that didn't even count the Emerson Lake and Palmer version (3 :D).
With this mess moving past 6000 in number, I've run out of shelves to store them on. There are stacks of records all over the floor of my office and at any given time at least 100 leaning up against the fireplace in the living room (maybe a better place would be IN the fireplace). Those are the ones I'm currently listening to.
I can't even bring myself to get rid of the obvious crap. I put a Cristopher Cross lp :puke: back on the shelf yesterday. It was in too good a shape to discard.
At least I didn't pick up any today while garage saleing...I grabbed two more turntables instead. :smoke:

You clearly need to look for a VhA (Vinylholics Anonymous) chapter. I need to start one.
 
why, yes, mr. pmsummer, yes I am.
When I retire, I intend to go through, clean, play and sort the chaff that's collected for the past decade or so.

I'll be out of work (semi-retired... aka 'consulting' or 'greeting') starting in October. Vinyl culling/organization is on the top of my list of this things to do now that I won't be working on having that stroke any longer.
 
If I run across a clean copy of anything I find listen-worthy, I usually pick it up thinking it's a better copy then I already have. At one point, I think I had about a half dozen copies of Boston's first LP. So, I hoard a little, yeah.
 
In addition to the West Side Story "collection," I've got duplicates of probably 25 or so other titles. Some I've got four or five copies, just because I come upon them often and I'm looking for a better copy than what I've got. Ironically, many of the dupes are of records that I won't listen to often. I've got three copies of "Brothers and Sisters" (none good), and five copies of "Days of Future Passed." I never seem to get around to comparing the dupes to keep just one good copy. I do keep a box of rejects to be disposed of. Some are crappy sounding records, some are music that I just know I'll always dislike.
 
Guilty as charged.

One reason is that I've long been a bit of a cheapskate who likes to get bargains. That is, I like to pay well "below market" prices, so I can get my money back if I resell.

That means that a lot of my vinyl purchases are bulk-buys of whole collections.

That, in turn, means I end up with a bunch of duplicates, and a bunch of LPs I don't REALLY want.

I don't like to get rid of vinyl without at least listening to it once, so the rate at which those dupes and question marks and probably-don't-want-its leave is slower than the rate at which they can come in.

I DID do a massive sort-through once, simplifying my cataloging system and putting most of my records in a simple alphabetical order. In doing this, I combined both already-cleaned and not-yet-cleaned LPs. Then I went through and culled out a bunch of duplicates. I've still got two boxes of those in the living room, as I am going through them and cleaning and re-sleeving the ones that need it, before resale. I'll be selling off one box of them (a bulk sale to a dealer) within a week. Every bit helps.

But in the meantime, I have about six boxes of LPs in the living room that have come in within the past couple of months (since the big sort mentioned above) that still need to be "sorted in", and the dupes, etc... weeded out...

I hardly ever seem to "catch up".

I can see how to catch up, and it is simple:

1. If I were willing to get rid of records without making myself listen to them first, I could more quickly reduce the bulk to what would fit on my shelves. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to do that, though. There is always that feeling that one of those unheard records will turn out to be a "gem" that I'll want to keep. Since I already own them, at least finding out before letting them go seems to make sense.

2. I have a bunch of records that I own because they came in bulk buys. I don't mind them, I may listen to them occasionally, but they are not records that I LOVE. They are not favorites. They are not ones that I would choose to buy, if they were at full price. They just aren't bad, and are in great shape, and I tend to hang on to them because "once in a while" I may want to listen to them. If I were pickier and kept only those records that I REALLY like and will listen to with regularity, I could probably cut the bulk at least in half.

3. I have some records that I often THINK I will want to listen to, or that I "intend" to listen to "one day", but I never seem to actually be in the mood to hear them. An example: my latest bulk-buy batch of records included some Englebert Humperdink LPs in great cosmetic shape. I went to stick them in the appropriate alphabetical location, thinking one day I'll listen to them, and realized that I now have 7 or 8 different EH records. I NEVER particularly liked this guy, growing up. :no: To me, he's some oily crooner only appropriate for old ladies in Las Vegas. I'm unlikely to ever like him enough to want to sit and play all those LPs for pleasure. If I really don't want to have him on my playlist, I thought, then why am I giving him 7-8 record's worth of my valuable shelf space? But I didn't want to discard (sell) them, because I thought, "What if I actually LIKE some of what is on these things?"

So I compromised: I pulled them all out, and will listen to at least several of them this week. I'll make a decision: do I EVER need/want to have EH music available? IF I really do, I'll listen to them all and decide what to keep. More likely, I'll listen to a few, and then take the whole stack and sell them. This is one of those singers I would never have chosen to buy at retail, so why should I have his stuff on my shelves, just because the albums "came my way" in boxes that I got because of other records in them (and not these)?

Similarly, I have a few Liberace records, too, and some Billy Joels and Barry Manilows and all those other once-ubiquitous and now-unwanted types that inevitably creep into any large box-buy of records. I managed to eliminate a few boxes of duplicates of these before, but the next step is to go through everything again and decide which to entirely ELIMINATE from the shelves. I don't need to keep one/the best copy of each and every disc that comes my way. I only want to keep the ones I really LIKE, and that is the next step.

The only challenge is finding time to do this second-pass purge, and to do it quickly enough that the new stuff doesn't come in faster than I can clear the old stuff out. A moratorium on buying would help, but since buying opportunities are irregular and uncontrollable, it may backfire. I could let go of a few opportunities to "buy time", only to then be ready to buy at the beginning of a prolonged "drought". It requires confidence that there will always be more supply; a difficult thing to have when the supply seems to be steadily dwindling and prices steadily climbing.

Oh, one other thing I actually haven't completely finished: I still have some multiple-copy situations where I need to sit down and do a comparison-listening to decide which copy (or copies) to keep. If I'm not in the mood to want to listen to the tune, I'm usually not in the mood to listen to it several times over... so some of the ones I don't want to hear so badly remain undone. Perhaps I should take that as a sign and just chuck them all? :D

One thing I will continue to do, though: remain pickier than I used to be about what comes in. As the quality of my collection has moved upward, I've become VERY picky about condition. I don't want any LPs with ANY visible scratches, even light superficial ones that will be "played through" or with poor covers, etc... unless they are super-rare and very desirable. I have to really WANT a record AND feel it is a good example of that title, before I will buy it. I'll still do bulk-buys, but even with those I'm pickier; there have to be enough records that I really want, in good condition, or I'll walk away from them. Lately I'm far more likely to walk away than I am to buy, unless there is something really, really nice in the batch. That helps.
 
Last edited:
Anyone else guilty of excessive vinyl redundancy?

:wave:

Right now I guess you could say that I'm hoarding them until I get moved. I don't know what the vinyl situation is like where I'm headed so I'm trying to find alot of stuff while I'm still in Denver. Then when I get moved I can start going through all of the ones that I have, probably close to 15,000 at this point. :D
 
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. My intention is to not impulsively buy records. It really is. But, schmidt happens. I drop my son off at his saxaphone lesson this morning and kind of tool around the neighborhood to kill a half hour. I come across a garage sale (naturally). They have a crate of records (again, naturally). Check out these titles and then pass judgement;
Hawkwind...Space Ritual, the Hall of the Mountain Grill.
Zeppelin...III, In Through the Out Door.
Jade Warrior...Released
Bo Hannson...Lord of the Rings, Magician's Hat
Wishbone Ash...Self Titled. Live Dates
Nektar...Down to Earth
Bowie...Images
and the cherry on the sunday...
Neu...Neu.
Yeah, I've got a few of these already, but these are primo titles. Don't you think?
I'm not thread crappin' or crowing here. I'm just asking you; "How could I have NOT bought these?
You give me an honest answer and I'll donate them to the GW. :yes:

No I won't. :no:
 
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. My intention is to not impulsively buy records. It really is. But, schmidt happens. I drop my son off at his saxaphone lesson this morning and kind of tool around the neighborhood to kill a half hour. I come across a garage sale (naturally). They have a crate of records (again, naturally). Check out these titles and then pass judgement;
Hawkwind...Space Ritual, the Hall of the Mountain Grill.
Zeppelin...III, In Through the Out Door.
Jade Warrior...Released
Bo Hannson...Lord of the Rings, Magician's Hat
Wishbone Ash...Self Titled. Live Dates
Nektar...Down to Earth
Bowie...Images
and the cherry on the sunday...
Neu...Neu.
Yeah, I've got a few of these already, but these are primo titles. Don't you think?
I'm not thread crappin' or crowing here. I'm just asking you; "How could I have NOT bought these?
You give me an honest answer and I'll donate them to the GW. :yes:

No I won't. :no:

Junkieace.jpg
 
Oops, I did it again. But for a good reason. Really. REALLY, I swear it was a good reason.

Garage sale, the records were in really nice shape. So I picked up my second copy of The Band - S/T and The Who - Tommy, and my third or fourth (or fifth?) copies of Blood Sweat & Tears - S/T and The Child is Father To The Man.

The good reasons? My only other copy of The Band was missing a jacket and was on the edge of too noisy to enjoy. My Tommy and BS&T are all crappy, these look much better.

See? Good reasons. I mean, what's a guy to do?

I also got Fleetwood Mac - Tusk, a Dan Fogelberg I'll probably listen to once, a record by a woman I never heard of because it looks interesting, a Lena Horne on Broadway double LP set (the true gem of the lot), and maybe some other stuff.

I'm not a hopeless junkie though. I passed on several Beatles: Abbey Road (have two already) and Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, and Beatles '65 all of which looked worse than the so-so copies I already have.
 
I had multiple copies of Moby Grape, Kind of Blue, Hendrix, Stones, The Move, Muddy Waters, The Zombies and others. I just cleaned my entire collection, put everything in new Mo Fi sleeves and outer covers. I listened to the multiples and kept the superior pressings. I sent the duplicates to my 16 year old niece, a music lover and bass player who is just getting into vinyl. Gotta spread the joy!
 
I have some Lp's that are multiple copies. More so with the 45's that I have though. It wasn't intentional. I've bought some "lots" of records in the past and many times there are duplicates of ones that I already have. Once, I picked up a stack of Lp's from a yard sale and there were 3 copies of Glenn Campbell "By the time I get to Phoenix" and I know that I already had at least one copy. How could I resist? The guy said 3 bucks if I took the whole stack.:D

When going through 45's and I find one in bad shape, no fret. Chances are that I have another copy somewhere.:D
 
I just thinned the herd by 200+ in the last month. I RCM'd the whole collection in short order and anything that was suspect was given away. I have a replacement list and carry a copy of it in my vehicle. The list is less than 10% of what was passed along. Quality playback is becoming more important than so-so quanity. I don't mind a poor recording, it's part of the game.
 
Never felt I had too many records or turntables for that matter. But that's what you say when you do...
 
No...I'm not a horder of music 'at all'. But I do like to get LPs that I enjoy, or will enjoy.

Just bought a new copy of George Harrison: Same title, 1979 sealed, $5.50. Think that should be a good one.

I only have about 250 LPs of which 100 I got for free, here and there, and have never played. Even have many new LP s that I've never played. No hurry. Even have some from 1985 or so I've never opened.

I just listen to my 'favorite ones'. I'd say 35 get used often at a guess. I usually just listen to the ones I'm into at the time.

I currently buying LPs 'only' but only what I really want and that's it. The others, even if they are cheap, I don't buy if I am not totally into it. Saw a beautiful copy of Loggins and Messina the other day, 99 cents, and passed on it. Maybe should of bought that one.

Like that.

250 LPs, 600 CDs, that's plenty. Haven't bought CDs in a three years. 'I'm done, as in finished, buying CDs' unless what I want isn't in the LP format. The only reason I have so many CDs is because I used to work on deep sea ships and never wanted to carry any music from ship to ship. I'd just buy new when I got to where I was going. Over the years it just accumulated into 600 CDs, of which 250 are collectors types. I could get rid of 300 and never even notice the loss of inventory quite honestly. I believe. But it is nice if I want to hear something I haven't heard in years and years, just to reach into the CD cabinets and there it is.

I do listen to some of the CDs from time to time but LPs are my main interest. 'LPs just sound wonderous'. CDs just sound like...digital. It's kinda hard to get 'attached' to the music on CDs, if that makes any sense. It's like CDs have a big loss of emotional attachment or content sound wise, feeling wise, sonically, you know the story cause this is an LP thread. CDs just don't sound real to me but I do have a good new CD player, a NAD C-515BEE which really does 'sound most excellent'. It's quite amazing really. Just LPs are the 'real thing' for me.
 
Last edited:
I don't have many doubles because of space issues. I have one cabinet that has to hold all my lp's. If it gets too tight I move some to the basement.
 
Back
Top Bottom