• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are You Kidding Me !!!!!!!!!! Forte Upgrade

Thanks :smoke:


:scratch2: I think you got the formula a little mixed up, I don't think the formula is a reference to 40 degrees F. :scratch2: I think its a reference to per degree Celsius.

SET12

0 degrees C= 32 F actually more like 35 degrees F in the example, just made a rough estimate. Of course it still goes back to; the time constant between varible resistance, and impedance swing. How can a circuit really align it? Real iffy.
But the sonic signature of the Graphite probably really nice.
 
"Notice the circuit with the 15 ohm resistors, IMO the .9 ohm increase can be significant in a crossover depending on how it is used."

OK. If it was determined that .9 ohm increase was beneficial at operating temp, than why not order a resistor of that added value? Cast would cost more though. I suppose the theory could be tested with a collection lesser resistors.

In theory in looks good. What is a practical application?
 
"Notice the circuit with the 15 ohm resistors, IMO the .9 ohm increase can be significant in a crossover depending on how it is used."

OK. If it was determined that .9 ohm increase was beneficial at operating temp, than why not order a resistor of that added value? Cast would cost more though. I suppose the theory could be tested with a collection lesser resistors.

In theory in looks good. What is a practical application?

What I should of made reference to is the negative direction here, the 15 ohm resistors were for a positive coefficient in the link I think what Duelund is trying to get across is the burst energy (heat) is easier to pass through a negative coefficient then a positive one resulting in a greater perceived dynamic impact.

In my case the Duelund is there to kill the peakiness of the tweeter and the Duelund for me does this better then than the highly evaluated resistor I was using.

All the materials in the network hardly align together at the same rate so they are all off to begin with.

Think of the same amount of coefficient in the opposite direction now that 15 ohm resistor represents 1.8 ohm difference between a positive and negative coefficient.

My thoughts are that there are many high end manufactures using Duelund resistors. And I'm sure they have very well extensively voiced these out in contrast to many other brands in extensive listening evaluations. All I know is when I listened to them I heard heard an effective product and became a believer in them. Regardless of how the negative temp coefficient is of real value or not I heard a product that I really like.

SET12
 
I guess I remain in the maybe/maybe not camp about the temp co-efficient.

"The non-CAST
construction Duelunds at half the price will clearly be
also worth trying despite (or because of ) their negative
temperature coefficient, which is claimed to compensate
to some degree for medium term compression due to
voice coil heating. (For this to work properly, the two
time constants would need to be matched, which seems
unlikely.)"

sony6060, how do you like the Duelunds if you switched from the Kiame resistors?
 
BTW- whisper....

Freakin glad I did not go the Altec 604s for $2500 route. I heard them on my system and IMO it ain't no Forte with this new crossover.
 
I guess I remain in the maybe/maybe not camp about the temp co-efficient.

"The non-CAST
construction Duelunds at half the price will clearly be
also worth trying despite (or because of ) their negative
temperature coefficient, which is claimed to compensate
to some degree for medium term compression due to
voice coil heating. (For this to work properly, the two
time constants would need to be matched, which seems
unlikely.)"

sony6060, how do you like the Duelunds if you switched from the Kiame resistors?

None of a networks component coefficients are the same in the first place.

With resistors in speaker networks I'd rather have a a negative coefficient than a positive myself. Irregardless the sonics are first rate IMO.


Freakin glad I did not go the Altec 604s for $2500 route. I heard them on my system and IMO it ain't no Forte with this new crossover.

LOL, I have heard a few, they are cool looking, but they don't do what the Forte's do with the extreme networks from my perspective.

I heard these Volti Audio Horns at the Chicago Audio show RichardHurd8a.jpg

They were real nice filing the room on a long wall that must of been 20-25 feet wide, I brought a long time reference recording Jenifer Warn's Hunter played 3 cuts. Cut one, cut 10 I wanted to hear, it was good.

The speakers were a real crowd pleaser to be sure.

I commented to the manufacture that they were pretty impressive for 50hz cut off, then the manufacture pulled out the hidden sub behind a curtain cause he said they were in proto form.

While the bass was good it wasn't quite as nice as the Forte with its 8AWG inductors. The Forte's in my room give a greater percussive kick.

Now for the neat part, the Volti Audio Horns cost $23,000 without sub if memory serves. The point being that the Fortes did everything IMO they did at about 1/10 the cost.

And this is the fun of DIYing

SET12
 
None of a networks component coefficients are the same in the first place.

With resistors in speaker networks I'd rather have a a negative coefficient than a positive myself. Irregardless the sonics are first rate IMO.




LOL, I have heard a few, they are cool looking, but they don't do what the Forte's do with the extreme networks from my perspective.

I heard these Volti Audio Horns at the Chicago Audio show View attachment 427391

They were real nice filing the room on a long wall that must of been 20-25 feet wide, I brought a long time reference recording Jenifer Warn's Hunter played 3 cuts. Cut one, cut 10 I wanted to hear, it was good.

The speakers were a real crowd pleaser to be sure.

I commented to the manufacture that they were pretty impressive for 50hz cut off, then the manufacture pulled out the hidden sub behind a curtain cause he said they were in proto form.

While the bass was good it wasn't quite as nice as the Forte with its 8AWG inductors. The Forte's in my room give a greater percussive kick.

Now for the neat part, the Volti Audio Horns cost $23,000 without sub if memory serves. The point being that the Fortes did everything IMO they did at about 1/10 the cost.

And this is the fun of DIYing

SET12

The bass on my Forte in my room goes very low and is strong to the point I do not need any bass boost. On modern vinyl they will hit hard & bass is tight. Unusual for tube audio.
 
I have forte 2 wich have the original crossovers + upgraded caps. I was looking for a parts list to get started building my own. didn't know if the crites was worth it or not . I have dayton tweeter caps and clarity MR on the midrange.
 
I am about to buy some used fortes and saw your post. It has been a few years since you posted about the impact of these upgrades.
How has it all performed over time? If be interested to know as I'm about to begin my own journey in the next week.

Thank you!
 
I am about to buy some used fortes and saw your post. It has been a few years since you posted about the impact of these upgrades.
How has it all performed over time? If be interested to know as I'm about to begin my own journey in the next week.

Thank you!
There are many threads on this forum regarding the Klipsch Forte speakers and a wealth of information is contained within them. Utilize the search function located at the upper right hand corner of your screen.
 
I never saw this thread, but I did read SET 12's opus before. All I know is it makes me want to go home & play some music on my Fortes. For now I am satisfied with my new crossovers & diaphragms from Bob Crites, but the possibility of better is always intriguing. Upgrade-itis is a disease held in check by lack of available funds.
 
Another way to look in my mind is that it shorts the woofer out as the frequency climbs.
hey i came across this thread,i acquired some forte 2's.Whats the parts list and values for this upgrade? Thanks,i want to do the upgrade.Are these sold as completed units anywhere? I had cornwalls before these 1980 year,had to go due to moving,so i traded even for forte 2's.I like them,they dont have the midbass bump of the corns,but thats ok.Comes from the front baffle projection and porting of the corns.
 
Flashing forward to 2024, North Creek are not available. Is Solen still my best alternative? Part numbers would be helpful if ya gottem
 
Are you still ALK-ing Forte II's or for some other configuration?
I like the impedance leveling of ALK, but would like to have multi tap formers to regulate my lmahls and tit mids. Not sure if this is possible, would like air core in woofer as well. Would I lose the organic synergy of a designed circuit? I kind of believe that matching components is more important than one or two elite parts.
 
I'm very-much not the guy to ask about the subtleties of that thing but I know enough to know not to mess with that soup w/o knowing precisely what you are doing. When seeking custom, there is only the hard way :)
 
Back
Top Bottom