• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Attention Fairchild Freaks!

And now a pair of nice looking 260's. Price is high but not outlandish for a decent pair by recent standards, it seems to me.
 
They finally sold- the temptation is gone
I would guess likely $5500-6000 range
I hope somebody here got them
 
I could not find it on "everyone's favorite auction site" unless it is a different website. But I did see a listing on USAudio for $3,200. No affiliation. I would love to own one of these. Seems to be a reasonable price, but what do I know other than these amps tend to go for a good chunk of change.
 
I could not find it on "everyone's favorite auction site" unless it is a different website. But I did see a listing on USAudio for $3,200. No affiliation. I would love to own one of these. Seems to be a reasonable price, but what do I know other than these amps tend to go for a good chunk of change.
Yes a good price at this point in time .Fully restored and in very good condition .All writing is intact and the front foils are in great shape as well.The transformers could be repainted if you wanted to go through the trouble but myself I'd leave them be.The only thing I would replace is the rusted screws on the back
I will be surprised if these don't sell quickly.
Not sure what a pair of McIntosh MC 30's sell for in the same condition and restored as I really don't follow sold sales for those anymore .I will say though for the same wattage I'd go for the fairchilds .
Although I've never owned a Fairchild 255 I have owned a pair of mc 30's and a a pair of Fairchild 260 amplifiers .I sold the McIntosh and kept my Fairchilds.
 
Well that was quick. No longer on the site. I noticed that the corner of the transformers were more square-ish. I recall these were more rounded. But, I could not confirm since it is gone. Oh well.
 
Well that was quick. No longer on the site. I noticed that the corner of the transformers were more square-ish. I recall these were more rounded. But, I could not confirm since it is gone. Oh well.
Yes the corners on the 255 and 255a are sqaure-,ish as you described and it wasn't untill the 260 and later 275 came out that they became more rounded .
Did I say that earlier that at that price those amps wouldn't last long .Someone is going to enjoy them unless it's a flipper.
 
yes that was far more reasonable price. Someone will definitely enjoy those.

I have both the Mc30 and the 255a - both restored. The Mc30 goes for more these days - at least the asking prices went to about double vs what I paid.
I think the 255a are the keepers, but it would a bit harder for me as I like the C20 Mcintosh preamp a bit better vs my pair of 245 FC preamps...
It is interesting though when you put them next to each other - the Mc 30 is comparatively massive vs the 255.
 
yes that was far more reasonable price. Someone will definitely enjoy those.

I have both the Mc30 and the 255a - both restored. The Mc30 goes for more these days - at least the asking prices went to about double vs what I paid.
I think the 255a are the keepers, but it would a bit harder for me as I like the C20 Mcintosh preamp a bit better vs my pair of 245 FC preamps...
It is interesting though when you put them next to each other - the Mc 30 is comparatively massive vs the 255.
Yes,I'm a person that likes matching gear as well.when I had my mc30's I used them with a mx-110 .Sold all of it after I found the 248 preamp to complete my Fairchild setup.Never had a c-20 but the MX 110 sounded nice with them lacking the phono equalization curves.
As far as size comparison goes my 260's compare favorably to the mc 30's transformer wise .
Do have a picture of them side by side that you can post.?
 
Back
Top Bottom