• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Attention Fairchild Freaks!

Yup those 255a work super nicely - THANKS!

I had a mixed pair of 275/260 - sold teh 275 and kept the 260. I like teh design better.
Some (based on my internet readings) like teh 260 better for detail and smoothness??
The 275 is definitely great amp with a lot of muscle, bottom end and a lot of detail.
I would say that both the 260 and 275 are one of teh most desirable vintage tube amps.

If I even get my hands on another 260 and a pair of Kenwood L-09 I will let you know which one sounds better (for me)
 
$7,650 to $7,200 & now at $6,700. All offering with “or best offer”. Wonder at what price it triggers a sell.
 
I picked up an Ugly single 260 for a bit over 1K Thinking I might need a spare set of transformers.
Missing the bottom plate. But it was totally Recapped. I just don’t have the stones to put tubes in it to try it out
It’s a bit newer than my pair as it has the brass
Look front plate.
My pair and Sancho’s single are the earliest
Ones.
Bobhorn
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2513.jpeg
    IMG_2513.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2515.jpeg
    IMG_2515.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 22
I picked up an Ugly single 260 for a bit over 1K Thinking I might need a spare set of transformers.
Missing the bottom plate. But it was totally Recapped. I just don’t have the stones to put tubes in it to try it out
It’s a bit newer than my pair as it has the brass
Look front plate.
My pair and Sancho’s single are the earliest
Ones.
Bobhorn
My pair might be earlier, they never had a name plate. I made some.
 
I'm gonna return the rusted out 260, back to my buddy who I got my pair from.
Bet he'd take 6 stones for it. So for someone looking for a Project pair of these Rarities
to Resto Mod for right around 1K, would be the buy of the week .
I already have Way too much gear:thumbsup:
bobhorn
 
Too bad it wasn't a 255 as I know someone looking for one of those.
I'm gonna return the rusted out 260, back to my buddy who I got my pair from.
Bet he'd take 6 stones for it. So for someone looking for a Project pair of these Rarities
to Resto Mod for right around 1K, would be the buy of the week .
I already have Way too much gear:thumbsup:
bobhorn
 
The 260 on eBay has me intrigued.Its a first generation 260 with no cage holes and square foil.The interesting thing is the crudely stamped chassis with EL34.For a early version I've never seen one stamped like this through all my years .Later 2nd generations with the cage I have seen labeled this way as Fairchild put out a factory revision(260R) which converted the amp to use EL34's.Some images of the one on eBay and a second generation with the same crude stamp.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250619-135751.png
    Screenshot_20250619-135751.png
    739.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20250619-155836.png
    Screenshot_20250619-155836.png
    399.1 KB · Views: 12
I'm gonna return the rusted out 260, back to my buddy who I got my pair from.
Bet he'd take 6 stones for it. So for someone looking for a Project pair of these Rarities
to Resto Mod for right around 1K, would be the buy of the week .
I already have Way too much gear:thumbsup:
bobhorn
Restomod or full out restoration would work.For the price of admission I don't think you could go wrong especially for the price you paid for yours even at $1000 it's complete.The other one on eBay a person could fabricate a cover for it to match the opt or even ask if he has the original transformer.Perhaps just a burnt out winding or broken wire who knows and lots of variables .I'm also sure there's lots of potted transformers out there that would work well with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom