• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audio auction

VOTT for $140...crazy

These sold at auction for $140 ea ...after I dropped out at 135 :tears: Very nice buy
vott.jpg
 
Wow, I hope the remainder isn't trashed. I'm thinking the auction didn't have enough exposure...... when Studio 28 (theater) closed, nothing was going that cheap.

PPS Audio, or whatever the company was called, had been selling on ebay, but they didn't have much for a description and rarely had pictures. Besides being several states away, I wasn't going to bid when I couldn't see what I was bidding on.
 
A sea of Altec drivers...

I now own the 4 white frame Altec's in the distance. Had to buy 2 pair of Altec cabs to put 'em in since they were $5 bucks each??? Crazy :yes:
drivers.jpg

alteccabs.jpg
 
Goodwill

There was this guy there that came down from Michigan and bought probably 25% of everything. Last I saw he was leaving to rent a big Uhaul. More pics . Alot of cool Altec
altec.jpg
 
Wow, I hope the remainder isn't trashed. I'm thinking the auction didn't have enough exposure..<snip>

I only heard about the auction this morning via a PM from chefhog, otherwise I would not have missed it totally. I've gone to auctions of various kinds since the 80s and IMO this auctioneer wasn't getting the best prices for the seller (..and really that's his job.) Several times I thought he should have talked up some of the pieces more. Probably an indication that the auctioneer was outside his normal merchandise. hmm big ole boxes with old speakers in them $10 sounds about right.
 
IMO this auctioneer wasn't getting the best prices for the seller (..and really that's his job.)

I really feel sorry for his client, my god a little research and better notification would have netted some big profits. I would really feel sorry if some poor old widow was his client, and he was in charge of selling off her husband extensive audio collection from the 50's to help her pay off the bills and funeral cost.
 
There was this guy there that came down from Michigan and bought probably 25% of everything......

I'm pretty sure I know who that is........ probably the guy I purchased some 828 cabinets from in Grand Rapids a few years ago. Arujio..... or something like that on Ebay.
 
The auction bill was terrible, and the owner of the speaker company didn't seem to care a whit about this stuff other than getting it out of the way.

What did the Fisher 500C in the wood case sell for? I had an absentee bid of $100 in on it, but they didn't call so I assume I didn't get it. :D
 
The auction was conducted by a reputable licensed auctioneer, with advertising in a substantial nationwide internet site. Everyone who went to this auction knew what they were looking at, and bid according to what they had in hand, pocket, and wallet.

No matter how you slice it, if you have the money, and the knowledge, you will always walk away from a large auction ahead. At a good electronics auction, you might recoup 25% of market value if you are lucky, as the owner.

This company had to sell off amazing amounts of inventory at auction. 90% of the people who would have been there on a Saturday could not be there on a Wednesday. The economics is what it is, and no amount of talking things up, or advertising, will entice a larger crowd to show up, or people to bid beyond their means. I knew there was some fantastic stuff there, but none of the seven people I talked to who live within two hours of KC were able to go. Life happens.
 
I agree 100%

One of Client's employees stayed through the whole sale. The owner was to be there but did'nt show - probably a good thing. He said that this lot was only about a third of what he has to liquidate because he is moving to Vegas. He thought the owner was testing the waters with this auction. I'm guessing when the receipts come in he will find a more competent auction co. next time around.
 
chef, did you see my question about the Fisher receiver?

Nice avatar, BTW - I have an original, enormous UK poster of that picture that was made for use in the London Underground. I had to make a custom frame, but it's hanging over my stereo gear now.
 
Any idea what those Altec amps with the meters went for? Man oh man could that have been a hell of a score and profit on the bay...

I sure would have been there myself with a pocket fat with cash... just the flippability of a lot of that stuff at those prices. would be worth the price of a storage unit until you could get it sold..
 
I bought a lot of stuff....A pallet full of vintage speakers....AR4X, KLH 19, KLH24, Sonic, Knight, ......and a lot of other stuff that my buddy Travis will put on ebay. Sam....I know the guy that bought 2 of the 500 Fishers....I also bought a pair of new Dafeng theater seats (singles), one for my listening room and took the other one to the kids house for a gaming chair for them. Several turntables, Micro Seki, Elac, Technics, One from Sweden that started with an L (Lenco maybe...). A good day to be sure....Already took the AR's apart and cleaned the pots and got them working...Listening to them right now paired with my little Kenwood KR-3130 and recently acquired M&K Volkswoofer. Love that East Coast Sound...Forgot about all the new in the box NOS stuff we got....Cerwin Vega, JBL, Boston Acoustic, Polk, B&W, Canton.....and on and on.... Sweet... They are going to have another sale in January for anyone interested....
 
Last edited:
Were there 2 or 3 Fishers? I saw two sold that went for upwards of 200, both were missing output tubes, one wood case was pretty beat up. Someone told me they picked up one Fisher earlier in the day for 75. It wasn't clear to me if they meant they picked it up at the auction or elsewhere.

Hey Orion,
Yes you picked up a Lenco TT. I think it was maybe a B52 or maybe B55 model but I didn't get a good look. I got there after some of the TTs were gone otherwise you might have had to pay more ;)
 
Were there 2 or 3 Fishers? I saw two sold that went for upwards of 200, both were missing output tubes, one wood case was pretty beat up. Someone told me they picked up one Fisher earlier in the day for 75. It wasn't clear to me if they meant they picked it up at the auction or elsewhere.

Hey Orion,
Yes you picked up a Lenco TT. I think it was maybe a B52 or maybe B55 model but I didn't get a good look. I got there after some of the TTs were gone otherwise you might have had to pay more ;)

There were three total at the auction....My friend Mark bought 2 of them and the rtr electrostats....There was a nice Scott Tube receiver that I missed out on.....
 
Maybe they can have the next one on a more reasonable day - say a Saturday or a Federal holiday?
 
I can't understand this... bidding big stacks of money on fisher gear, when those insanely collectible and high dollar fetching Altec amps are up for grabs... I think the last pair I saw went for something like 3 grand?
 
Any idea what those Altec amps with the meters went for? Man oh man could that have been a hell of a score and profit on the bay...

I sure would have been there myself with a pocket fat with cash... just the flippability of a lot of that stuff at those prices. would be worth the price of a storage unit until you could get it sold..

As I remember he got them for $80 each.
 
Back
Top Bottom