• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audio Club of Maine (ACMe)

Power is still out, nice Christmas Day, keeping busy with stuff to do. Pulled a bunch of water from old dug well, brunch, beef stew for supper again. I have no idea how so people without a wood stove get by.
 
F4EF240B-F416-4AC8-8623-B6E6F3CD07B3.jpeg A007624A-85EA-452B-81BF-CBDECC407EE2.jpeg 5DABE5C5-3621-4CDC-9320-834057FE4B65.jpeg
 
I have no idea how so people without a wood stove get by.

Maybe better electric companies, ours is always trimming trees pretty much year-round. 22 years here typically 6 hrs and done, maybe once twice a year, one time maybe 10-12 or so and that was the only one that was during all of sleeping hours. (thru the night) Have a generator to plug in house if I need it. Used but looked like new 10 circuit generator switch panel with a 50' cord 150 from marketplace (cord worth that) and used gen for 250 from FB marketplace. Easy to wire in and done. It took more time balancing loads on each leg and what to power than it did hooking it up.

Finding good deals usually takes couple months of looking every day to get exactly what you want. This is key with anything I buy.
 
@Sq1 sorry you have been without power so long. CMP has got some ‘splaining to do. I like the improvising you’ve done with cooking on the stove. Been there done that. Only 3 months until mud season…
 
Maybe better electric companies, ours is always trimming trees pretty much year-round. 22 years here typically 6 hrs and done, maybe once twice a year, one time maybe 10-12 or so and that was the only one that was during all of sleeping hours. (thru the night) Have a generator to plug in house if I need it. Used but looked like new 10 circuit generator switch panel with a 50' cord 150 from marketplace (cord worth that) and used gen for 250 from FB marketplace. Easy to wire in and done. It took more time balancing loads on each leg and what to power than it did hooking it up.

Finding good deals usually takes couple months of looking every day to get exactly what you want. This is key with anything I buy.
CMP had 2 major outages (in my area anyway) 2008 ice storm and 2010 wind storm. After the second they began a campaign to trim trees in the summer.

During this outage, a few miles from my house, two poles were snapped apparently by the wind. No nearby trees as they were on the edge of a golf course. A CMP FB post suggests many poles snapped by the wind. I guess they need more robust poles…
 
CMP had 2 major outages (in my area anyway) 2008 ice storm and 2010 wind storm. After the second they began a campaign to trim trees in the summer.

During this outage, a few miles from my house, two poles were snapped apparently by the wind. No nearby trees as they were on the edge of a golf course. A CMP FB post suggests many poles snapped by the wind. I guess they need more robust poles…

wow
 
We have Versant, they have gotten better since being threatened by Mills. A few days without power is fine.
 

Attachments

  • 8C93201C-E46F-4A81-80E6-184F37FB21C4.jpeg
    8C93201C-E46F-4A81-80E6-184F37FB21C4.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 13
Saw interview with CMP and Versant CEOs on channel 6 tonight. CMP said hundreds of poles were snapped by wind, an unprecedented event.

My town’s teen center parking lot was a staging area for the restoration effort. CMP had a pile of new poles there, maybe 2 dozen, on Friday. They were prepared in that regard.

I spent the week preparing for this event and apparently the utilities did too.
 
Hello! I found this page via internet search for Maine audiophile communities. It's been a year since the last post... is there a group that gets together for listening or chatting about gear?

My systems:

2 channel: Sonus Faber Electa Amator II on the matching stands, driven by Kinki Studio EX-M7 and matching preamp. I stream DSD via Roon from a NAS in my basement, to a Ropieee + Khadas toneboard DAC. The room this is set up in is FAR from ideal size/shape, so I'm looking at some GIK Acoustics panels and a miniDSP SHD with Dirac to fine tune the room.

Theater: Martin Logan Vistas, Frescos, Depth I, and Motif center driven by Anthem MX520 home theater receiver.

My musical tastes are pretty broad - I'm a child of the 90's and listen to most things that were popular back then... Tool, Rage, NIN... but also a fair amount of electronica like Underworld, Daft Punk... and a modern stuff that I find interesting like CHVRCHES and Modest Mouse. I try to not be the guy who uses music to listen to my system, but I worked in the industry for like 10 years, and the gear is ashamedly at least half the experience for me.
 
Last edited:
Hello! I found this page via internet search for Maine audiophile communities. It's been a year since the last post... is there a group that gets together for listening or chatting about gear?

Nice to see someone checking in to this thread for a change. I think we may have had more group participation if COVID hadn't been a thing when this thread got started. Also, a lot of us are pretty spread out. Are you in southern Maine?
 
hey @rustedswitch !! I saw your message and made a note to check back in. I'm in Portland!

I've been day dreaming about getting some kind of meet up together, or even a small regular event in the vein of Frankenfest, since back when I started this particular group.

Over the past 6 months, I drifted away from the hobby a bit, but the Winter has me digging back in a little bit. My set up in the living room is notable very vintage, very second hand, and not nearly as refined as yours :) but I'd love to chat more if you're interested.

At the moment, I'm playing vinyl on my Philips 212 turntable (when the touch lights decide they're working -- they seem oddly sensitive to humidity in the summer); my receiver is a Sony STR-6055 receiver that I had to resurrect from a terrible shipping mishap; and my speakers inside are Genesis Physics Model II that i FINALLY finished restoring this past Fall -- they were my first project, and my longest running one.

IN addition, I've acquired more projects that I will likely ever have time to complete, and I've set up a workshop in the basment where I do my tinkering when the rain water hasn't made a damp mess of the floor. I have a heap of vintage speakers awaiting refurbishment, and a similar heap of receivers, turntables, and a few integrated amplifiers as well. Its so easy to accumulate **** over the internet -- much harder to find the time to work on these beautiful pieces of audio history.

I'm a child of the 80s/90s myself, and it sounds like we have some similar music interests, though I've spread out into all sorts of other stuff over the years. Tonight I was forcing my family to listn to a beautiful saxophone ensemble record by Moondog (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sax_Pax_for_a_Sax -- that guy is crazy interesting, if you've never heard of him).

Anybody else on this thread in the Cumberland County area? I know we had some folks that were a bit farther out too. Thanks for resurrecting the thread withn your messaage :)
 
Anybody else on this thread in the Cumberland County area?
You can count me in. I'm in York county - Portland is only a 30 minute drive. I am considerably older school than you guys. All my equipment in rotation at the moment is circa 1975. Listing to George Benson's Weekend in L.A. on a Teac A2300S reel to reel, through a Toshiba SA 750 receiver to Warfedale W70E speakers. I recorded the album when it came out back in the day. Amazing how well the music and sound quality has held up over all these years.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sq1
Hey crew -nice to see some fellow Mainers keeping the cabin fever at bay up here. I'm in Oxford Hills area - glad to see I'm not the only one listing to their music on some old Wharfdales -my main system had a Sansui AU-9500 driving a pair of Rosedales down in the rec room. Would also be interested in getting together sometime to compare notes
 
So, how do we capitalize on this emerging interest?

Would folks feel better if we did a meetup somewhere, so no one person had to absorb the risk and host a bunch of strangers?

Eventually I could envision doing some listening sessions, but maybe we get to know each other first.

Edit: I remembered other types of meetups renting the Woodford Club in Portland. If we did that, there’s plenty of parking, room for folks to bring some gear, and we could all chip in for fees and refreshments.
 
Last edited:
Hey crew -nice to see some fellow Mainers keeping the cabin fever at bay up here. I'm in Oxford Hills area - glad to see I'm not the only one listing to their music on some old Wharfdales -my main system had a Sansui AU-9500 driving a pair of Rosedales down in the rec room. Would also be interested in getting together sometime to compare notes
Nice! I also have a set of Rosedales that are set up in my office.
 
Eventually I could envision doing some listening sessions, but maybe we get to know each other first.

Edit: I remembered other types of meetups renting the Woodford Club in Portland. If we did that, there’s plenty of parking, room for folks to bring some gear, and we could all chip in for fees and refreshments.
I like this idea - for an initial event I thing one of Portland area's many restaurants/bars would work (assuming there are <8 people who would show up) , agree if we get as far as dragging out our favorite stuff for some listening then the Woodford club looks like it would work great for that - especially if they have function rooms that I don't need to lug stuff up stairs to. March looks promising on my calendar - maybe first or second week, a Thursday evening?
 
Back
Top Bottom