• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audioholic's 10 most influential speakers of all time.

Register to hide this ad
Considering the return of AMTs to the market, the lack of ESS in that list is notable. Otherwise no complaints.
 
No Shearer Horn? It was the first 2-way loudspeaker. No Voight Pipe? The first transmission line from which many modern floorstanders have their roots in.
 
Every pair I have ever owned!

Some of us are poorer than others so therefore less fussy but still happy we can love and enjoy what we can afford or have had:)
 
Seriously?!? No Quad ESL-57 ??? And not one but TWO Bose?
Cancel my subscription! :)


While influential, the Bose Acoustimass isn't really influential to the hobbyist. That was a poor addition. The 901 on the other hand had some mainstream appeal mixed with enthusiast credibility.

Now I cannot speak to the ESLs as I haven't been into this hobby as long as many here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Oop- gotta disagree somewhat. You can't mention Bose twice and leave out Altec or Quad.
If I need justification to include Altec (a big "if", imo), think about how many people heard them in concert venues and theaters. Just because people didn't KNOW they were Altec doesn't mean they weren't influential. I mean, SOMETHING had to spark the desire to have the voice of the theatre at home, even if you couldn't afford to shoehorn the real Voice of the Theatre into your den.
 
Last edited:
Any list that doesn't have Quads and BBC/Rogers LS3/5 isn't very realistic in my opinion. To me, those HAVE to be in the top three. Throw in a KLH 5 or AR3 or whichever you want to represent that style.

I'd also have to throw in the original Wilson Audio Tiny Tot/WATT as a must have on any such list as one of the first fairly traditional, but nearly cost-no-object designs in a fairly small speaker.

I'd probably have to put the DQ10 near the top five as well. The idea of trying to use dynamic drivers to capture the very open sound of the Quads... that would have to be way up on the list in my opinion.

I might even be able to forgive the inclusion of the Acoustimass, both as one of the original satellite/subwoofer combos AND one of the first major designs that tried to convince you it was a good speaker rather than impressing you with actual good sound.
 
Ok, I get it, but have to honestly say that I threw up a little in my mouth when I read 3 AND 4. I get it, but REALLY!?! Huge commercial success (and I stress "commercials" in my commercial success statement).

My humble apologies to any Bose fans...
 
Last edited:
And they should have included either Arnie Nudell/Infinity or M&K for the first subwoofer - they were both pretty close in time, but think Nudell/Infinity was first. It's hard to imagine many speaker developments much more "influential" than the now-ubiquitous subwoofer.

These guys have a pretty myopic view of loudspeaker evolution.
 
Confining it to the last 50 years eliminates such truly groundbreaking speakers as the Shearer Horn, Lansing Iconic, Altec Duplex and VOT, Tannoy coax and the Quad ESL.

They're full of **** about the KHorn being unique in having both bass and treble horn loaded, nor do they understand that PWK was a follower in horn speaker development, not a leader.
 
Last edited:
Ok, I missed the last 50 years part, so I will tame my umbrage about the Quads.
However, the Nudell/Infinity sub was mid-sixties I think, just in under the wire
 
And they should have included either Arnie Nudell/Infinity or M&K for the first subwoofer - they were both pretty close in time, but think Nudell/Infinity was first.

DIYers were making subs long before Infinity or M&K though those (and the Jadis) are the earliest commercial subs I recall. EV used a sort of subwoofer notion in the 50s when they made stereo systems combining one large deep ranging speaker with a smaller speaker with identical upper bass and treble.
 
Last edited:
To include a company whose specialty is infomercials and pulling the wool over the public's eyes is an affrontery that makes no sense. Bose is a marketing company, period. Their plastic products suck, and at premium prices. I have a small pair of bookshelf Bose, and they're the only ones that get NO listening time because they are SO bad.

And no Altec! Gimme a break.
 
To include a company whose specialty is infomercials and pulling the wool over the public's eyes is an affrontery that makes no sense. Bose is a marketing company, period. Their plastic products suck, and at premium prices. I have a small pair of bookshelf Bose, and they're the only ones that get NO listening time because they are SO bad.

And no Altec! Gimme a break.

Couldn`t agree more. The only influence Bose has in the audio world is their pushy marketing hype. While my 501-IIs I had as a teen hold a special place in my heart, and the 601-IIIs I owned briefly were more dynamic than the 901-series IMO, there are so many more influential speakers designs in history.

Therefore, kick those Bose off that list and place more deserving speakers like Dahlquist DQ-10s, Tannoy Gold or Red concentric monitors, Rogers/BBCs, and maybe even M&K SB1/sub combo. Then the list would be more legit. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom