• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audioholic's 10 most influential speakers of all time.

Ah..another top ten most 'beautiful' posts...and your baby isn't included in the list.

Great for forum bickering.
 
To include a company whose specialty is infomercials and pulling the wool over the public's eyes is an affrontery that makes no sense. Bose is a marketing company, period. Their plastic products suck, and at premium prices. I have a small pair of bookshelf Bose, and they're the only ones that get NO listening time because they are SO bad.

And no Altec! Gimme a break.

Every company seeks to sell goods and make money, that Bose is better at selling their goods than others doesn't mean they're more purely a marketing company than others.

Besides, they make some pretty good products, especially some of their pro gear that uses Altecish 1.4" compression drivers on CD horns. That tall skinny small PA speaker of theirs sounds excellent as a hi-fi speaker.

Altec's vital contributions come from the 1940s and early-mid 1950s; after that it was a process of refinement.
 
DIYers were making subs long before Infinity or M&K though those (and the Jadis) are the earliest commercial subs I recall. EV used a sort of subwoofer notion in the 50s when they made stereo systems combining one large deep ranging speaker with a smaller speaker with identical upper bass and treble.

50 years, remember? :)
And the unsung Doc Browns of the word will always be that ... Unsung
 
As to two examples left off the list, I don't think the DQ-10 is in the same league as the Quad ESL.
 
Perhaps not the worst list I've seen, but it appears to be a list based either on limited personal experience, ignorance of the history of audio, or commercial/vested interests.

Then again, most lists fall into one or more such categories. While there are speakers that large numbers of aficionados and historians might agree on, everyone's list will be a little bit different. Only a rigid definition of criteria used, and an admission that any such list is subjective and incomplete, can make them acceptable. All still fun and interesting, though --which is probably why such lists continue to appear at intervals.
 
It seems like they went mainstream\consumer mass market speakers - I've had every one them at one time - they are all easy to find/purchase...
 
As to two examples left off the list, I don't think the DQ-10 is in the same league as the Quad ESL.

True, but the Quad being eliminated for age (over 50) and the DQ-10 being an attempt at time-aligned drivers...
 
They missed what's probably the most influential speakers of the past 50 years--the EV Interface series, the first commercial vented speakers designed using TS methodology. This method allowed predictable results and led to the overthrow of the acoustic suspension speaker.
 
Seems pretty accurate to me.

I think the key here is "most influential", not "best sounding".
 
Folks, keep in mind that influential is a different criterion than good or anything that has to do with overall audio quality.

Also, they seemed to have focused on consumer speakers, whereas a number of breakthroughs first happened in the pro gear realm. For instance, the JBL L100 Century was a re-packaging of JBL studio monitors that had been pervasive in pro audio studios prior to its release. I think Altec and Electrovoice horns in the pro sound realm predated Klipschorns as well. In fact, the Altec branding of "Voice of the Theater" came from the fact that Altec had marketed pro sound In theaters and other large installations.

M2
 
*snip* or commercial/vested interests.

The amount of shills on some sites is staggering. They can be found almost any site that has to do with technology, be it computers, audio gear, or smartphones. Sites that review audio equipment are very guilty of this. Any commenter that posts anything objecting to the review has their post deleted in quick fashion. I've seen this happen on quite a few of them, generally when it comes to products that rely on pseudoscience and buzz words to snare a customer.
 
Last edited:
Would liked to have seen Ohm F's or Or an EV Model D, even Altec 14's/19's or some big EPI's..............what they had as top tem were fine- just not my pick for a top 10 is all!
DC
 
They missed what's probably the most influential speakers of the past 50 years--the EV Interface series, the first commercial vented speakers designed using TS methodology. This method allowed predictable results and led to the overthrow of the acoustic suspension speaker.

have to agree tom,owned the interface b's and D's only just selling the d's last yr.Ive owned many on the list most actually and the speakers im listening to now smoke 90 % of them,Braun L-1000 monitors.
Whats with the jbl l-100's on the list ?Bose? The early jbl 2 way monitors will walk circles on those..
hunter
 
As usual, we are all detracting into factions. Higher end fans are wondering what's going on, etc. And I was kind of surprised to see no mention of Vandersteen or Dahlquist but they were not available everywhere like most of the models listed. Actually I guess they were mentioned but they were pretty influential, I thought. I remember when I first heard Vandy's and DQ-10's. Couldn't believe anything could sound that good. ESS with Heils were the same way to me back then. And pretty much the entire ADS line, etc., etc.

It says that these were the most influential, and in that case, they probably are right, when talking about the general public and specific models.

Although I throw up in my mouth a little when I see the AM-5's. They even talk about all the issues the AM-5's had except the biggest one. They were grossly overpriced for what you got. But since momma said it's the Bose or nothing in the living room of the new house, I guess I understand the choice, but I still hate it as much as I hate AM-5's. What it doesn't say is dad was probably rocking out most often in the basement with his old system hooked up to the old JBL's, CV's or the then current Klipsch KG-4's.

The rest of the list, I pretty much agree with, including the 901's. Although it seems that half the list was designed by Henry Kloss.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom