• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audiokarma is being reborn - Vbulletin upgrade

Oh man, I so got used to the blue theme for the site. Those new orange LEDs are going to make everything look too bright.

?:scratch2:

I hope their not planning anything like that, black pages and fluorescent writing ?

Blue and white is the best combo on any site.
 
Just a note...

Most forum software nowadays allows the user to define the look of the webpage. One welcome feature is the ability for the user to change the display to 'light text on a dark background' (Ars Technica, for instance, allows this, and I think the default display at [H]ardOCP is light-text on dark as well). Much easier on the eyes, and would be a great addition to AK as well.
 
Just a note...

Most forum software nowadays allows the user to define the look of the webpage. One welcome feature is the ability for the user to change the display to 'light text on a dark background' (Ars Technica, for instance, allows this, and I think the default display at [H]ardOCP is light-text on dark as well). Much easier on the eyes, and would be a great addition to AK as well.

Yep a few sites I know of have about 4-5 options of display settings.
 
Thanks for the heads up.

Good luck with the project.

And as they say, "what could possibly go wrong"? :D:D:D

Looking forward to the time "when the site looks different".

And I am going to post my opinion of the upgrade right now. It is great, it is terrible, it is just okay. :D:D:D

Everything is working okay for me, nothing is working for me, only some things are working for me. :D:D:D

All kidding aside, good luck with the project.:yes:
 
Can we look forward to AK Chat being preserved? The old interface is getting a little long in the tooth.
 
Thanks for the heads-up.

Is it too late for a design review by an ignorant butt-insky? :D

Hope all goes well, and the site speeds up a bit. Good luck.

May I propose 'dark text on light background' versus 'light text on dark background' as our next religious thread-locking topic? I mean, how could ANYONE with more than three brain cells prefer the latter? Were they raised in caves, like a Linux programmer?

;)
 
Good luck.
The small website for our local 4x4 club is php as well and needs upgrading more often than I care to do.

I'm now to the point of being about 3 versions behind and the host wants to upgrade the SQL on the server, which will force me to get off my arse... LOL, too much fun.

Looking forward to the upgrades here, we'll have a ton of functionality we didn't have before - and I agree to not underestimate the desire for black background based themes - great for those of us in dark rooms.

Carry on!
 
I would like the ability to "thumbs up" without quoting. :thmbsp:

Maybe a chat function that doesn't require Java and its headaches. :thmbsp:
 
Awesome, tapatalk is terrible, crashes all the time. Hopefully the new app is better. Thank you to all who are working to keep AK alive and well.

I surf AK all the time with just a regular ol' browser on my tablet, what does Tapatalk offer other than a sig that lets people know you posted via Tapatalk?
 
Hopefully the weather will be nice. I have little problem losing AK for a bit if I can take the Harley out for a couple days.
 
May I propose 'dark text on light background' versus 'light text on dark background' as our next religious thread-locking topic? I mean, how could ANYONE with more than three brain cells prefer the latter? Were they raised in caves, like a Linux programmer?
Like assholes, everyone has their own opinion. The real trick is to express it without insulting anyone and looking like, well, an asshole.

As far as discussions, I've NEVER seen the subject discussed here, so I'm rather confounded about your statement about 'locking' a thread because of it. If it's an inside joke, you're the only one privy to the punch line (queue the sound of one hand clapping).

While I believe [H] is defaulted to 'light on dark', Ars allows for the end user to decide how the page is to be displayed. You enjoy frying your eyes with a white background, Ars gives you that option.

The idea of 'light on dark' seems to be a holdover from real paper publishing, but what isn't taken into consideration is that a web page isn't a page out of a printed book or magazine. Maddox at The Best Page in the Universe put it nicely:
I've chosen a black background for most of my text because it's easier on the eyes than staring at a white screen. Think about it: your monitor is not a piece of paper, no matter how hard you try to make it one. Staring at a white background while you read is like staring at a light bulb (don't believe me? Try turning off the lights next time you use a word processor). Would you stare at a light bulb for hours at a time? Not if you want to keep your vision.
So the idea is to reduce eye fatigue. And [H] and Ars with a dark background are so much easier on the eyes. I'd be thrilled if the option were to be incorporated into the AK software.
 
Light text with dark background has excellent WAF when browsing in bed at night while s/o is sleeping. (Dark theme on tapatalk)
 
Back
Top Bottom